Life is a funny thing. Many times something that is seemingly huge may mean nothing, and sometimes just a single small difference can completely change something.
A year before Ash left on his Pokemon journey, he received a Mysterious package. Inside of it was a book and a simple note that was signed 'A friend.' This book turns out to be the best thing that could have happened to Ash, leading to a more mature and intelligent Ash. Read how Ash travels around the regions with a more progressive look on Pokemon training.
The Chosen One's Journey, is a fanfic by dragonwolf12, and can be viewed here.
The fic starts off as a retelling of the Pokemon Anime, only with a version of Ash Ketchum, that due to a single change, starts his journey as a much more focused and skilled trainer. From there, the story maintains a plot that often branches out of the Pokemon Anime canon, whilst still following the plot to a certain extent.
The original fic has been currently discontinued, but is being remade as "The Journey of the Guardian", which can be viewed here.
Unlike the original, the remake makes Ash's growth as a Trainer much slower and much nore natural, but still retains the basic concept of Ash being much less of an Idiot Hero than his anime counterpart.
This fanfic and it's side stories contains examples of:
- Adaptational Badass: The whole fic started with this for Ash Ketchum. Also, Brock and Misty due to Ash's Training from Hell. Also, various Pokemon, most notable being Ash's Bulbasaur and Squirtle (both evolve into their final evolutions) and Misty's Psyduck (he's not only a better fighter in this version, but even evolves into Golduck) and Horsea (he evolves into Seadra)
- As of the latest chapter, all three of Ash's Kanto starters have acquired Mega Stones, thus now having access to their Mega Evolutions.
- Adaptation Expansion: Because all of Ash's friends are staying with him, there will be chapters that focus on them and their journeys through the different regions. For example, Dawn and May will get involved in contests in the other regions that they visit with him.
- Adaptational Villainy: In this story, Damien beats the hell out of his Pokémon before abandoning them.
- Adapted Out: Word of God says that the Orange Islands arc will not be adapted. Regardless, Pokemon 2000 will still be retold in a later arc.
- The author has also said that he won't be doing Spell of the Unown.
- Ascended Extra: Word of God states that all of Ash's friends will be joining him for his entire journey from Kanto to Kalos and over
- Brought Down to Badass: Cynthia, despite not being a champion in this fic, is still an incredibly strong trainer.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Some of Ash's battles are this, though its mostly due to him planning ahead and training his Pokemon accordingly.
- Demoted to Extra: The Rocket Trio have much less significance in the story so far compared to the anime
- Early-Bird Cameo: This version of the Pokemon World has everyone aware of the various regions, so Pokemon from all 6 Generations appear as early as Kanto (Ash has also captured Pokemon from Generations 1-5 despite not even being past the Kanto League). Also, Cynthia (Sinnoh Champion) appears in Kanto. Also, Mega Evolutions are already known to exist in spite of having been only introduced in Generation 6.
- Engineered Public Confession: After getting beaten by Ash, Damian starts beating on his Pokemon in front of the entire audience at the Indigo League, prompting his arrest by Officer Jenny.
- From Nobody to Nightmare: Damian (Charmander/Charizard's former trainer) in the anime simply abandoned his Charmander. In this fic... he beats up his Pokemon (sometimes to near death) before abandoning them... and he doesn't even feel a hint of remorse.
- Idiot Hero: Completely averted in this fic.
- Laser-Guided Karma:
- Damian gets his just deserts for how he treated his Pokemon.
- After getting beaten by Mew, Mewtwo is sentenced to stay on Ash's team for five years.
- Loads and Loads of Characters: The fic is leaning towards this with Ash's companions and Pokemon following him on his journey.
- Put on a Bus: Averted. Word of God says that all of Ash's friends will stay with him on his journey. This extends to the various Pokemon that they meet, including legendaries like Mewtwo, Latios, and Latias.
- Set Right What Once Went Wrong: Heavily implied when Ash starts experiencing visions in his dreams (showing the events as they happened in the anime). It becomes a plot point during the S.S. Anne arc when it's revealed that a few trainers and their Pokemon remained trapped in the ship and died. Ash uses this knowledge so he and his friends are able to rescue them.
- Ship Tease: On a lesser scale, but Ash still has some with Misty and Cynthia.
- Spared by the Adaptation: In the Pokemon Heroes adaptation, Latios does not sacrifice himself and instead joins Ash alongside his sister.
- Took a Level in Badass: Ash Ketchum, especially when compared to his Anime version.
- Also, the Pokemon that Ash trains, especially since they evolve into their final forms.
- Took a Level in Kindness: A VERY mild example. Gary Oak, who is still cocky and a bit of a Jerkass, shows Ash a bit more respect compared to his anime version. Justified, since this version of Ash is a better trainer (in comparison) to his anime version.
- Training from Hell: Ash puts Misty and Brock (and their Pokemon) through this when they ask him to help them become stronger.
- Training Montage: Happens a couple of times.
- Adaptation Expansion: Unlike in the original anime, Ash's father is mentioned more frequently. Furthermore, the latest chapter reveals that he was an Aura Guardian.
- Demoted to Extra: Like in the original fanfic, Jessie and James of Team Rocket are not as prominent as in the anime and make only minor appearances. In their second appearance in Chapter 14, they're arrested by Officer Jenny, ensuring that they won't cause trouble for Ash and his gang.
- Early-Bird Cameo: Ash gets a Riolu instead of a Pikachu for a starter. Also, like in the original, other Pokémon not native to Kanto appear.
- Fix Fic: This story is one for the original fanfic. The author says he made many mistakes the first time around that he intends to fix with this remake, most notably the speed at which Ash develops as a character.
- Heroic Sacrifice: In the remake's version of the first movie, which follows the original's plot more closely, Ash uses his Aura to stop all the Pokemon from fighting and dies. Fortunately, he comes back to life and lives to tell the tale of this escapade.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Most of the characters in the First Movie have their memories of the events erased save for Ash and Riolu, whose aura abilities render them immune to Mewtwo's power.
- Ship Tease: Ash and Cynthia.