The Amamiya Investigation (formerly The Kurusu Investigation before the protagonist's Canon Name was revealed) is a trilogy of three Persona 5 fanfictions written by vivvav, and published from May 6 to June 19, 2017.
The first entry, The President's Interview, follows Makoto Niijima having a chance encounter with the main character, Ren Amamiya, after the events of Kamoshida confessing his crimes. Makoto, privy to the rumors surrounding the new transfer student, decides to conduct a one on one interview with the student to find out more about him. Though things start to spiral out of control when Makoto's questions start to hit too close to home.
The next entry, The President's Investigation, is an adaptation of Makoto's arc from the game. Makoto is now tasked by Kobayakawa to find the identities of the Phantom Thieves. Her investigation brings Ren Amamiya back into her cross-hairs.
The final entry, The Older Sister's Interrogation, serves as an epilogue, in which Sae slowly puts two and two together and realizes that Ren and Makoto was closer than she initially thought. Ren now finds himself forced to undergo one last trial by fire.
The fanfics can be read here at Archive of Our Own, and take place in the same continuity as most of the author's other Persona 5 fics; those works have their own trope page here. WARNING! The final fanfic has major endgame spoilers for Persona 5, read at your own discretion. You Have Been Warned.
Tropes found in The President's Interview:
- Innocently Insensitive: Makoto's "interview" with Ren has her callously ask some rather harsh and sensitive questions. From her perspective, Makoto is simply trying to learn the truth to whether Ren is actually a delinquent or not. She doesn't realize until it's too late how distressed by the questions she is making him.
- Insistent Terminology: Makoto insists that she is only trying to interview Ren, not interrogate him. He's not convinced.
- Iron Lady: Much like in canon, Makoto. Ren notes how she has an innate ability to scare respect out of people.
- Stepford Snarker: Makoto's assessment of Ren is that he puts up a sarcastic front as a defense mechanism.
- Trauma Button: Makoto asking if the rumor of Ren "raping" someone is true actually causes him to suffer a panic attack.
Tropes found in The President's Investigation:
- Coldblooded Torture: In a Moment of Weakness, after being confronted by an angry Ren over her stalking of him, she assaults him and puts him in an armlock, effectively threatening to get the information about the Phantom Thieves by force.
- The Dreaded: After the previous interrogation from the first story, Ren has been actively avoiding interacting with Makoto. And then he becomes outright terrified of her after she assaults him and it only gets worst when she later blackmails him when she finds out about the Phantom Thieves. Even once Makoto has a Face-turn and joins the Thieves, Ren has a hard time forgiving her.
- Hero-Worshipper: Mishima towards Ren. When Makoto holds an interview with the former to learn more about Kamishida's confessions and the subject turns to discussing Ren, Mishima can do nothing but gush about him.
- My God, What Have I Done??: Makoto has this reaction after putting Ren in a armlock.
- Reformed, but Rejected: Downplayed, in the third chapter Makoto is still welcomed into the Phantom Thieves, but she quickly realizes that Ren still hasn't quite forgiven her for assaulting him. She's finally able to make amends with him by the end of the story.
- Stalker Without a Crush: The second chapter involves Makoto being forced into following Ren around after school. She takes the opportunity to perform interviews with his various Confidants around the city. Iwai in particular assumes that the two are dating, but Makoto quickly shoots down the idea, even if she finds him attractive.
Tropes found in The Older Sister's Interrogation:
- Good Angel, Bad Angel: Sae's inner monologue to herself finds her torn over the fact that Makoto is dating Ren, zigzagging between supportive and wary.
- Mama Bear: Sae towards Makoto, now that she has dealt with her warped heart. She doesn't take it well when she learns that Makoto had been dating Ren almost the entire time.
- Thousand-Yard Stare: Ren experiences this after getting confronted by Sae over his Secret Relationship with Makoto. It's Played for Laughs.
- Secret Relationship: Makoto never told Sae about her relationship until she lets it slip.