Stained Silver is a Pokémon fanfiction written by MHProductions on FanFiction.net. It takes place before the events of Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver. It tells the backstory of the games' rival, Silver. He... didn't have the best childhood, to put it lightly. He has made an attempt or two to escape previously, but to no avail. However, it appears as though his life is going to change forever when he is given a mysterious egg by a stranger.
This fanfic provides examples of:
- Abusive Parents: Giovanni can get very physical with Silver, and for the dumbest of reasons. In Chapter 2, for example, he beats Silver over the bad news he received on Project Andromeda.
- Egg MacGuffin: The egg the sentry gives Silver in Chapter 3.
- Everyone Calls Him "Barkeep": Silver only refers to the sentry in Chapter 3 as "the sentry."
- Idiosyncratic Episode Naming: Every chapter is named after a song.
- Insistent Terminology: Silver, ever since Chapter 1, insisted on avoiding calling his place of residence a "home," calling it simply a "house" instead.
- Morton's Fork: Silver mentions that choosing between living with Giovanni and running away is "damned if you do, damned if you don't."
- Noodle Incident: In Chapter 2, Silver mentions that he didn't speak up about Giovanni's abuse of him because "After what happened last time, I was not going through that again."
- Parental Neglect: As opposed to Giovanni's direct physical abuse of Silver, Ariana rarely shows up in Silver's life at all, and doesn't really care about his abusive situation in the slightest.
- Skewed Priorities: Ariana only shows up in Silver's life not to help him get out of the abusive situation he's in, but to instead argue with Giovanni about her paycheck.
- Tyke Bomb: In Chapter 2, Silver mentions that Giovanni has high hopes for him as his heir. In Chapter 4, he is told by both Giovanni and Ariana that he is to begin his training the next day.