The Smooth Operators team have so far abridged:
This series provide examples of:
- Anachronism Stew: Frequently lampshaded.
- An Aesop/Spoof Aesop
- Author Avatar: The series four creators appear as characters in their own right.
- The Cameo: Minnie Mouse appears as a collections agent for Euro Disney, as well as a mortician and healer.
- Either/Or Title: Each opera has multiple alternate titles that change with each act. Sometimes veers into Short Title: Long, Elaborate Subtitle.
- Framing Device: Each parody begins with the Smooth Operators team attending the opera.
- Original Character: Each opera features at least one fan-created character.
- Plot-Induced Stupidity: Whenever a character is hit by the Opera Character Intelligence-Sapping Ray.
- Portmanteau Series Nickname: Smoperators.
- Punny Name: Smooth Operators.
- Trade Snark: Each time the Opera Character Intelligence-Sapping Ray is mentioned.
- Angrish: Ferrando after it's revealed Guglielmo slept with his fiance.
- Similarily, Guglielmo after Ferrando reveals he's done the same with his fiance.
- Back from the Dead: Don Alfonso.
- Beta Couple: Despina and Fig.
- Canon Foreigner: Its revealed that Fig is the very same Figaro from the Beaumarchais plays (and related operas).
Inverted-Jabberwocky: A guy whose name is only a few letters away from being Figaro and who used to be a barber is flirting with a snarky maid . . . we havent accidentally wandered into the wrong opera, have we?
- This is (unwittingly) lampshaded fairly early on:
- Chewing the Scenery: Done quite literally by Despina early in the second act.
- Funetik Aksent: Despina, when disguised as a doctor.
- Fun with Acronyms: Order for the Protection of Earnest Rock Appreciators.
- Gratuitous German: Despina, as the doctor.
- Incredibly Lame Pun: I cant carry a tune to save my life not even one that has handles . . . oh, what a shame this is Così fan tutte and not Xerxes then I couldve said something like, not even one that has Handels!
- Lady Looks Like a Dude: Smoperators team members WitchChao and NatureTheZafara express confusion regarding Marlenas gender when she first appears.
- Manipulative Bastard: Don Alfonso, by his own admission.
- Original Character: Fig the waiter, Marlena the maid and Ciliegia, Dorabella and Fiordiligis pet dog.
- Shout-Out: Multiple, but among the most notable:
Fiordiligi: After acquiring all the necessary accoutrements, I must be sure to cut my hair, rename myself Ping and then . . . where does one even find a dragon? Is there a store?
- The phoenix does exist where else would we get Phoenix Down from?
- They are as fickle as a feather in the breeze!
- Ciliegias name is a shout out to Lucky Star.
- Fiordiligi and Dorabella seem to be involved with the Red Crayon Aristocracy.
- Straw Feminist: Marlena has shades of this.
- Title Drop: Despina supplies (and lampshades) a fairly liberal translation: Theyre all like that . . . hey, thats a good title for an opera!
- Theme Naming: Fiordiligi whose name literally translates as loyal flower is given a series of flower-related nicknames by Ferrando.
- What the Hell Is That Accent?: Despina, when disguised as the doctor.
- You Need to Get Laid: Fiordiligi, according to Dorabella.
The Countess: I think so, but really, why should it matter whether Idamante is played by a tenor or a mezzo-soprano?
- A Date with Rosie Palms: Antonio thinks Bartolo is spying on Susanna and Marcellina for this reason.
- Cherubino also mentions it in the fourth act by way of a pun.
- All Periods Are PMS: Used as part of the Countess plot to fool her husband:Susanna: Sir, someone in the kitchen told me you had some chocolate . . . I wondered if I might be able to have it.
The Count: Chocolate? At this hour? Whatever for?
Susanna: Its for her ladyship shes become rather emotional. Its quite distressing, actually when I asked her if she was feeling all right, she screamed that she hated me and threw a chair at my head.
The Count: Wretched woman! She does this every month!
- Bilingual Bonus: Cherubinos song to the Countess.
- Calling Your Attacks: Susanna. It later helps Figaro recognise her when she is in disguise.
- Cloudcuckoolander: The Countess borders on this, often lapsing into non sequitur and frequently getting distracted by her own trains of thought when speaking.
- Colourful Theme Naming: The names of the village girls are variations on different shades of red.
- Dirty Old Man: Doctor Bartolo.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Cherubino, according to the audience:Between that voice and those hips, hes not fooling anyone.
- Early-Bird Cameo: Monsieur Fal, from the third story in the Figaro trilogy, appears briefly in the third act.
- Fanservice: Barbarina claims disguising Cherubino as a girl serves only to appease the silly audience members who like this yoo-ree stuff.
- Girl-on-Girl Is Hot: Cherubino certainly seems to think so:Sometimes I dream about Godmamma, and sometimes about Barbarina, and sometimes about [Susanna] too! And sometimes, I dream about the three of you together!
- Girly Run: Susanna instructs Cherubino how to do this when disguising him as a girl.
- Hormone-Addled Teenager: Cherubino; possibly Bavón.
- I Want Grandkids: Antonio becomes like this after learning Barbarina intends to marry Cherubino.
- Love at First Sight: Bavón for Cherubino, whom he mistakenly believes will reciprocate; Cherubino promptly sets him straight.
- Medium Awareness: Several characters appear to possess this, most notably the Countess.
- Murder the Hypotenuse: Bavón attempts to poison Barbarina after Cherubino agrees to marry her.
- Original Character: Bavón, the bakers apprentice.
- Shout-Out:"Right, and Im the king of Barataria!"
- "Suck my Rosenkavalier!"
- Figaro is a very important man he has a tower.
- "We should turn that into a song, the kind that someone in prison would lock himself into the superintendents office to play to the other inmates!"
- Some of the alternate names suggested for Cherubino include:
- The contents of Barbarinas picnic basket are the same as Rattys.
- The signal will be . . . pulsating prunes!
- Safe Word: Figaro and Susannas is Portugal.
- Talks Like a Simile: WitchChao: Our situation seems to be stickier than a melted caramel chew on a warm gingersnap . . .
- Unusual Euphemism: Show you my snail collection ultimately becomes this.
- Victorias Secret Compartment: The Countess stores pens and leaves of parchment down the front of her bodice.
- Waxing Lyrical: With Loch Lomond, Bohemian Rhapsody and Oh! Susanna.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: Smoperators team member SuperMimbles360 may be a budding example of this, expressing a desire to wear a kodona outfit instead of the dress shes in.
- Yandere: Bavón.
- Yaoi Fangirl: At least three of the village girls ship Bavón/Cherubino.