So we send a kid with absolutely no training out into the wide world with only a disobedient Pikachu at his side. What could go wrong, right? Fortunately, we have a grumpy pitch-black legendary to keep an eye on him, although that's not without its pitfalls as well. After all, there is that one suspicious omen..."That the world will turn to shadows and ash."
Shadows and Ash is a fanfic that serves as a rewrite of the Pokèmon Anime with one main difference: in addition to his normal companions Ash also has a very grumpy Darkrai following him around and occasionally helping him. This changes more than you'd expect with Ash having similar adventures with different outcomes along with some brand new ones and catching different Pokèmon than in canon. The fic also includes several aspects from the games.
The fanfic can be found on Fanfiction.Net here.
This fanfic provides examples of:
- Deadpan Snarker: Due to traveling with Ash, both Darkrai and Misty take plenty of opportunities to make snide remarks, including at eachother.
- Food as Bribe: The easiest way to get Darkrai to do something is to offer him an oran cake or to threaten him with a lack of oran cake.
- For Want of a Nail: Darkrai's presence on Ash's journey changes a lot with Ash having new adventures and catching different Pokèmon.
- Idiot Hero: Ash is arguably even more of a bonehead than in canon, often making stupid mistakes and only getting out unscathed due to dumb luck and Darkrai's help.
- In Spite of a Nail: Even though Darkrai's presence changes quite a bit, Ash still has some adventures that are similar to those in canon (though they tend to end differently), such as the trip on the SS Anne and the encounter with Mikey and the Eevee brothers.
- Olympus Mons: Darkrai, a powerful Pokèmon who is classified as a Legendary in the games.
- Snark-to-Snark Combat: Darkrai and Misty are not fond of each other and often get into fights which, since they're both Deadpan Snarkers, mainly consist of them throwing snide remarks at eachother until someone, ususally Brock, breaks them up.
- Team Chef: As in canon, Brock makes most of the food for the group while they're on the road.
- Team Dad: As in canon, Brock does double duty as both this and Team Mom below, usually being the one to break up fights and keep the group on task.
- Team Mom: Again, as in canon, Brock does double duty as both this and Team Dad above, being the most reasonable member of the group at any given time and serving as a mediator for the constant fighting between his three other teammates.