Starring the Dark Elf Shadowchaser Ashla Da'rok in Atlantic City on Halloween, the story takes place aboard the Phantom Train, which ferries the souls of the dead to the afterlife. Ashla has to face off against Sol Cortyge, the conductor of the Phantom Train who is targetting the Shadowchasers for his dark master.
This Fic Includes the Following Tropes:
- Continuity Nod: Two examples.
- Ashla refers to Louis DaPen, Saramanda, and the Aboleth from the original Shadowchasers and Power Primordial fanfics.
- Cortyge mentions the Witty Phantom using the Dice Reaper card in the Thousand Year Door Redux fanfic.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Ashla is a Dark Elf and a member of the Shadowchasers.
- The same can be said of Elistaree, the goddess that she and most other dark elves who reject Lolth devote themselves too.
- One of her decks is the DARK attribute Infernity monsters.
- Dark Messiah: Subverted in that Ashla was originally promised to the Goddess Lolth, but turned on her later in life.
- Deal with the Devil: Cortyge was bound to the Phantom Train after losing a bet to a shadowy figure. Lampshaded when Ashla says, "Gives a whole new meaning to a deal with the devil."
- Even Evil Has Standards: Cortyge will kidnap, gamble, make a deal with a dark figure, but he will not ever cheat or play cards to modify the effects of his own cards.
- The Gambler: Cortyge in life was a profesional gambler, he also uses a deck with monsters called the Chance Fiends, which have effects based around coin tosses, dice rolls, and card drawing.
- Halloween Episode: Its a Halloween special fanfic, set during Halloween, released on Halloween.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Cortyge's spell card Gambler's Ruin cut his own life points in half, leading to his defeat.
- No Name Given: Sentinel is only known as Sentinel.
- Only the Worthy May Pass: Ashla has to defeat Sentinel in order to enter the engine.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Supernatural Powers!: Cortyge kidnaps Ashla in defiance of the Great Treaty.
- Shout-Out: Ashla quotes a line from the comic V for Vendetta in reference to the Phantom Train always arriving on time.Ashla: At least the trains all run on time, but they're not going anywhere.
"So good bye everybody, and remember please, for the next day or so the terrible lesson you learned tonight. That grinning, glowing, globular invader of your living room is a resident of the Pumpkin Patch, and if your doorbell rings and nobody's there, that was no Martian... its Halloween."
- A number of Cortyge's cards where named for gambling terms.
- The fanfic ends with the finishing line from Orson Welles' radio drama The War of the Worlds
- You Have Failed Me: Cortyge's benefactor punishes him by trapping him for all eternity on the Phantom Train.