"Kai was just a regular girl with normal friends and below-average grades. Everything was good then the monsters came and the world of Greek mythology tipped her world upside down. Kai wants none of it, so of course she's immediately thrown in the middle of it. Just another reluctant hero... Warning: OC-centric"
Riding the Waves contains examples of:
- Blessed with Suck: As a child of Thetis and a legacy of Pluto, Hayden has some cool powers, but having too many powers means that she was twice as vulnerable to die.
- Cool Sword: Kai gets a pirate sword. Its origins aren't completely known.
- Early-Bird Cameo: Kai sees group of hot guys walk by in chapter eight. They come back later.
- Family Eye Resemblance: Hayden has pale green eyes just like her godly mother, Thetis, and her mythical brother, Achilles.
- Girls Love Stuffed Animals: Kai has a stuffed panda named Chalk that she sometimes sleeps with.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Hayden dies to save Kai.
- Really 700 Years Old: Kai finds out that Mrs. Tot is actually a Greek princess from centuries ago named Amymone.