Reconstructed Destinies by DJNS is an Alternate Reality fanfic that swaps the life-places of two key characters while maintaining their canon core personalities and struggles (and ships, too). DJNS then proceeds to spin out a new ATLA tale that reflects these different personalities. It's also a completed fic, for those who have issues with ongoing ones.
Get ready, because here comes the lighthearted and optimistic-even-after-exile/disownment Fire Prince Aang. His idea of honor is tracking down the Avatar and helping him restore balance to the world.
Oh dear. Looks like you've got your work cut out for you, Prince Aang... because the Avatar is a sullen, moody, and mule-headed apprentice airbender named Zuko. Maybe those Southern Tribe siblings, Sokka and his cute sister Katara, will help...
Reconstructed Destinies contains examples of:
- A Father to His Men: Aang is this to the Fire Nation troops on his ship in a way, despite being younger than them, and they are far more loyal to him than they were to Zuko in canon. He also helps keep the rest of Zuko's group sane.
- Awful Truth: Sokka and Katara tell Zuko about the Air Nomad genocide, which he refuses to believe until he sees the prison hold in the shipwreck.
- Death by Adaptation:Mai is killed by Azula in Ba Sing Se.
- Honor Before Reason: The Northern Water Tribe refused to attack the Fire Nation Navy under the full moon because they called for a cease fire in spite of Zuko's objections. It bites them when Zhao takes advantage to kidnap Yue.
- In Spite of a Nail:
- Team Avatar still goes to Kyoshi Island and the Northern Air Temple;
- Zhao still kills the Moon Spirit and is later killed by a vengeful Ocean Spirit;
- Ba Sing Se still falls but to changes in events, Azula manages to drill a hole in the wall.
- Killed Off for Real: Mai, as well as almost all of the Fire Nation Capital's people when the volcano underneath erupted.
- Now or Never Kiss: Aang kisses Katara before going off to perform what he believes will be a Heroic Sacrifice, saying he wants to know what it's like to kiss her.
- The Power of Hate: Zuko uses hate to enhance his bending, being surprised by how far more easily his airbending works with negative emotions.
- Reassigned to Antarctica: After Zhao fails to capture Aang and Zuko, Ozai sends him to the Earth Kingdom to quell rebellions.
- Redemption Equals Death: Subverted: While Aang didn't die, and was just captured by the Fire Nation, Zuko and the others thinking he had died for their sake was enough to eliminate any doubt Aang was on their side.
- Revenge: At first, Zuko wants to get even with the Fire Nation for destroying his people. He grows out of it.
- The Scapegoat: Sokka blames Zuko for the destruction of his canoe, as he develops a hostile atitude to the boy the moment he's unfrozen. Subverted later on after finding out he's the Avatar.
- Self-Made Orphan: Ozai, obviously, and later Azula, after she decides to take power for herself and poisons him.
- Shout-Out: When Aang leads the team to Piandao after Zuko used the Avatar State to heal his facial scar, the old swordsman can't help but notice.Piandao: There is something different about you.
Aang: I got a haircut.
- Also true, as Zuko had him shave his head as part of a sweatbath-induced spirit walk.
- Stations of the Canon: Defied. Even during the first season, many of the adventures that Aang went on were skipped, due to Zuko deciding not to waste time and go straight to the Northern Water Tribe.
- The Unfavorite: Surprisingly, Azula, compared to Aang, who she was never able to beat at anything.
- Wham Episode: In chapter 45 Azula poisons Ozai.
- Wise Beyond His Years: Aang. Aided by him being Gyatso's reincarnation.
- You Are Better Than You Think You Are: Aang gives one to Zuko to help him snap out of his guilty feelings over killing the man who stole and sold Appa.