Twilight Sparkle wakes up one morning to a harsh dose of unreality. She is stranded, without her friends, on an island which matches no known locale on Equestria. Surrounded and harried on all sides by the alien and the dangerous, she will find her mettle sorely tested, and find perhaps that the best friends you will ever have in your life are the ones you make when your back is to the wall..
Tropes present in this work:
- Adorkable: Twilight of course.Marshall: Nerd pony is best pony.
- Dreaming of Things to Come: More like a nightmare, as Marshall dreams that Twilight is fatally shot by a sniper during their approach towards the building in the desert. This brings him to alter their path - only to find a newly-dead businessman with a high-powered rifle aimed directly where he dreamed Twilight had died. Understandably, this completely unsettles him.
- The Engineer: Marshall would appear to be one of these, as Not only does he actually have an engineering degree in Aeronautical Engineering, he also successfully built a fortress out of salvage in the middle of a jungle, and is generally the one between the two survivors who comes up with practical applications for Twilight's discoveries about the island. For instance, in Chapter 9, he successfully integrated magic and human electronics when he built a functional Thaumic Field Expansion Detector out of salvaged C-130 Cockpit electronics and a crystal he had had Twilight build for the purpose. Bear in mind that the electronics in question had been sitting around for five plus years, and that in order to make it he had to do so in poor lighting. With insufficient tools. In a cave. With a box of scraps! Since between the two of them, Marshall is usually the more violent, though probably the less dangerous, he might qualify for the Combat Engineer. In Chapter 11, Marshall improvises a pony seatbelt for the Crimson Maverick utilizing a BDU blouse, a lapbelt, and a roll of duct tape.
- Everything Trying to Kill You: Only one animal species Marshall and Twilight have encountered on the island hasn't tried to harm them without provocation: the Rootscraper. That doesn't mean it doesn't have the means to do so, though.
- My Significance Sense Is Tingling: After living on the mysterious island with Marshall for several weeks, Twilight Sparkle develops a finely attuned "Something is Trying to Eat Me Again" Sense which allows her to emergency teleport out of danger when something is trying to eat her. There have been, so far, four different predators that have tried snacking on poor Twilight.
- Serious Business: Baked goods for ponies. Twilight recounts that there was a brutal war between a tribe of unicorns and a tribe of pegasi over a stolen recipe for apple fritters. The baked goods market is also used as an economic growth indicator for Equestria.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: There's no small amount of barbs thrown between Twilight and Marshall, but they genuinely like each other. Marshall himself recognizes he couldn't stand not to have Twilight with him as he wakes up from the nightmare mentioned above.
- What the Hell, Hero?: In chapter 8, Twilight gives Marshall a scathing one that starts with an Ironic Echo of what he told her after her first freak out in chapter 2.