Officer Misako is a Troper Work done by the sabrinadiamond, inspired by the online RPG game MechQuest. It is both a Deconstructor Fleet and a Dark Fic, combining Wake Up, Go to School, Save the World, meta-references to horror and Science fiction with a twisty ending... Sometimes it shows elements of Intercontinuity Crossover at some points.
In the year 3008, Misako and her ¡Three Amigos! attend the prestigious Soluna University, run by a crotchety old principal named Dean Warlic. Life is normal, except for the occasional Mecha stomping past, alien invasions, werewolf bikers, the mystical 'Force' and the power of Rock and Roll. At the same time, two band members are preparing for an important concert when a Mad Scientist and the disdained brother 'The Black Prince' who both declare a technological 'warfare' on most Solunian citizens all in the name of "For Science!"! The end of their structured society as the three know it is nigh - as the Mad Scientist converts more of the citizens against their will, into cyborgs...
How are all these strange events related? It all changes when The Hero is badly wounded by an aggressor and henceforth goes on a Roaring Rampage of Revenge, taking up police work all in the name of patriotic JUSTICE!
Read the mayhem here... It now has a Character Page! Yayz!
Here are the tropes...
- And the Adventure Continues: In the finale, with everyone else dead, except for 'old' Rayne, poor Diaglo and the main character- who all says, "We Are Not Going Through That Again!"
- Arranged Marriage: The Black Prince and the Lightning Mage, she's not happy with the proposal- she was kidnapped prior to this. It's actually more blatant and explicit in Her Unbound Captors prequel.
- Beneath the Mask: Everyone, but especially Larosin and the Lightning Mage, who is at least Affably Evil and years later suffers a Split-Personality Takeover but that's another saga in itself.
- Blind Date: Misako and her Best friends enter a Valentine pop-quiz show For the Evulz, sadly the dates do NOT match up.
- Clueless Chick Magnet: Poor Misako (she can't even tell when Larosin's deliberately 'hitting' on her)
- Cooldown Hug: Melkior does this to a rampaging Diaglo. Then they both hug.
- Conscience Makes You Go Back: Misako considers not assisting Larosin after an almost fatal injury with Kayo the cyborg, but she helps her anyway. This act end up like The Farmer and the Viper later on.
- Continuity Cavalcade: After the 'Fourth Reset' in Swordhaven, nearly everyone from both eras were 'brought back' as the Timey-Wimey Ball soon bounces back to normal, this also causes a rather permanent merging of both past and future events... This was very confusing for everyone involved as the Big Bad arrives.
- Crapsack World: Soluna City (prior the Reset) exposes seams of a corrupt Police State ultra-dependent on technology. Everyone has personal problems, and suffers through them.
- Don't Fear the Reaper: Rayne, post-Reset, becomes Death's assistant after spending his whole pre-Reset life as a pizza delivery boy. His new job status doesn't affect his witty banter or very funny humour. Still everyone fears Rayne after all.
- Dating Service Disaster: Vixen tries to send her email to Kayo, but somebody else intercepts that... It ends badly.
- Dead Person Conversation: Already deceased Lightning Mage and Misako both communicate in their Self-Inflicted Hell / The Life Stream.
- Department of Redundancy Department: Kaede Maple (full name) has the same effect of saying Maple-Leaf Maple twice.
- Devour the Dragon: The Queen of Monsters does this to Priestess Pascha's body in the Citadel.
- Gainax Ending: Activating Genre Shift! (everyone: AAAAAAAAAAA-)
- Gender-Blender Name: Often used for 'comical' effects, and these are often unintentional. For example, is *Kayo* really a boy's name? (Well, it is in Africa, but...Whoops)
- Half-Human Hybrid The Lightning Mage is a half-Lorian hybrid.
- The Hero Dies: This incident causes the Reset... setting up some Disaster Dominoes for the finale- and this is exactly what the Big Bad desired.
- I Have Boobs, You Must Obey!: Lesbian!Larosin tries to do this sometimes to Misako, it's ineffective.
- I Know What You Fear: Had Priestess Pascha continued her progress, then she would have expanded on her prophetic abilities to the detriment of everyone's fears.
- The Lifestream: Most Solunians and (even humans spawn) from the Force and dissolve into the essence when they end their existence, with a few exceptions of course...
- Lost Common Knowledge: A lot of the people after the Reset seem to have reverted back to the basics
- Magic Versus Science: A major plot-line in the saga, with the Mad Scientist and the Priestess Pascha representing science and The Force representing a form of hidden pseudo-magic. Finally comes to a head in the Going Cosmic Grand Finale. It's a tie.
- Meaningful Name: Everyone in the series. For starters, the name Misako is apparently Japanese for Beautiful, helpful child. Ironic isn't it?
- Mundane Fantastic: Werewolf gangsters, pizza-delivering robots and Human Alien detectives, nuff said.
- Myth Arc: This fanfic is related to half a dozen other stories, e.g. The Caged Phoenix saga and others... You can easily tell the author has too much time on her hands.
- Physical God: Melkior (temporary) becomes a physical god, subverted as she wants to return to the normal realm and gives up her godliness, aw.
- Platonic Cave: Only Vixen 'sees reality' for what it truly is, the other characters 'can't see' the forest for the trees until the Big Bad arrives and destroys their own perceptions at the very end. Chaos and insanity soon ensures.
- Puberty Superpower: Many of the characters get their superpowers during University. Big surprise, eh?
- Recruit Teenagers with Attitude: Deconstructed like most of the tropes on this page. Despite being University students, a fatal combo of bad teamwork, an idiotic plan and a severe lack of experience with The Mafia cost Misako's team a lot.
- Ret Gone: Larosin in the finale, all thanks to Melkior and Vixen's meddling with the shattered timeline
- Sealed Cast in a Multipack: The Reset (thankfully) allows this to happen, causing (almost) everyone to reincarnate.
- Sleep-Mode Size: Diaglo and Olapen are both this as they are both Only Known by Their Nickname. They shall transform IF you say their respective True Names- aka I Know Your True Name.
- Significant Anagram: Larosin is actually a really clever anagram of her former name. This is very significant as Garnet was based on her DNA...
- There Are No Therapists: Which then leads to the 'Dysfunction Junction' listed above, of course, the Adults Are Useless.
- Training from Hell: The sword-dueling classes alone take over five chapters and the energy blade fights... even longer
- We Can Rule Together: The Big Bad promises this fate to a reincarnated Misako. She almost gives in then therefore takes a third option.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: Misako was accused of this and even dressed up like a male to fool a werewolf blind date, it doesn't work out.