The fic is episodic in nature, like the canon it originates from, and is consisted of short one-shots with little continuity in between them. Most chapters center around Nightmare, his organization, and the various demon beasts working under him. It is also notable for being one of the few fics that explore Nightmare's unseen personality.
The story can be found here. It was unexpectedly deleted at one point, but as of April 2012, all the chapters have been republished. There is now a deviantArt version here, which is in process of being posted.
This page is a work in progress, so add tropes as you see 'em!
Nightmarefics}} provides examples of:
- And Call Him "George"!: Inverted in Child, the first chapter. Nightmare creates a defected, useless demon beast that somehow manages to love him like a father, eventually leading Nightmare to Mercy Kill it out of frustration.
- Apocalyptic Log: Fumu's diary in chapter 14, Don't Leave Me in the Dark. Nightmare visits a barren Pop Star after being reincarnated and stumbles upon said diary, revealing Fumu's slow descent into madness while Pop Star eventually became infected by a plague that wiped out nearly all traces of civilization. It even ends mid-sentence, meaning that Fumu was recording the deaths of her loved ones, up until she died herself.
- Crack Pairing: Fumu/Nightmare, on more than just a few occasions. Lampshaded by the author as well.
- Darker and Edgier: A few of the later chapters, as per the author's Nightmare Fetishist nature.
- Depending on the Writer: In each chapter of this story, Nightmare's personality can vary from The Ditz to utterly evil. Though in most, he appears to be an Idiot Savant.
- Embarrassing Nickname: Lampshaded in chapter 15—when Nightmare's nickname is "Mary".
- Even Evil Has Standards: A meta-example: The author, a Nightmare Fetishist, was apparently so grossed out by something on Tumblr that she felt empathy pains.
- Gone Horribly Wrong: In chapter, 2, after Intoxication Ensues, Nightmare goes on to create ten-armed monstrosities, multiple-headed hydras, and...monsters wearing ballerina costumes.
- Hidden Depths: Chapter 13 is about Waddle Doo's backstory.
- His Name Really Is "Barkeep": Apparently, Customer Service.
- Mr. Seahorse: Nightmare, according to chapter thirty-five.
- Shout-Out: Several, including Metal Gear, Twilight, Cassandra Clare and TV Tropes itself.
- Tastes Like Purple: In chapter twenty-five, Nightmare expresses cravings for square-flavored licorice.
- Word-Salad Humor: Chapter twenty, which was literally inspired by the trope Translation Train Wreck.