The Black CoverMy Metal
is a Heavy Metal Parody
of My Immortal
written by Monica Gilbey Bieber
. It stars a Marty Stu named Rainblood Öystein
Cross Vülture White
, and instead of the goffik sorrow in My Immortal, My Metal often references gore, heavy metal music, and tr00 kvlt awesomeness.
You may rock the fuck out to this fanfic here or here.
Compare and contrast My Immortal and Thirty Hs. Contrast One Less Lonely Gurl, another fanfic by the same author.
Tropes! AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW YEAH!
- Actor Allusion: This is the reason why James chose Cho Chang to play the role of Draco in the remake.
- Author Appeal: The author himself is a Metal Head. He also admits to having a fetish for female Metalheads.
- Author Powers: Rainblood sees James in-story and learns from the Unholy Tome that James has power over him.
- Bishie Sparkle: Parodied in the 39th Chapter with James and Ronnie being surrounded by these sparkles.
- Bishōnen: Rainblood, who is also of Korean descent.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: In the last chapter, Rainblood actually learns that he is a fictional character created by a muggle named James Smith.
- Chekhov's Gun: Metal scream potion.
- Chekhov's Gunman: Beatrice, the Couture Kvlt saleswoman who also turns out to be a time lord who will help Rainblood know who he is and who brought about his existence.
- Chivalrous Pervert: Rainblood. He shamelessly ogles beautiful metalhead women, but when he finds out that Cho Chang has been taken advantage of, he would do anything and everything to save her.
- Cosmic Plaything: All the characters. This is Lampshaded in the last chapter.
- Costume Porn: Yes.
- Creator Cameo: The author himself appears in Chapter 39 of the story.
- Darker and Edgier: My Metal is definitely heavier in content and is more explicit than the original.
- Drinking Game: There is an official one.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Rainblood. Lampshaded in-story by Professor Styx and conversed about in Real Life when the author uploaded a drawing of Rainblood in his deviantArt.
- Girl-on-Girl Is Hot: Rainblood thinks so.
- Gorn: This line.
Lupin watched in shock. He started to scream in excruciating pain as blood spilled out of every orifice of his body. Hideous, festering lesions and popping boils filled with yellow, infected pus that oozed black slime appeared on his skin. He started to look like a victim of the bubonic plague.
- Go Mad from the Revelation: Being face-to-face with the Unholy Tome of Unholiness leads to this.
- Heävy Mëtal Ümlaut: Mercilessly parodied.
- Hell-Bent for Leather: All the metalheads in the story.
- Hot Witch: Cho Chang and Erzebeth.
- A Little Something We Call "Rock and Roll": Rainblood teaches Tom Riddle of the past about rock and metal music. This is then heavily and brilliantly Deconstructed in the next chapter.
- Man, I Feel Like a Woman: Rainblood undergoes a sex change, transforming him into Chantal Smythe, later on in the story after he travels back in time to seduce Tom Riddle.
- Meta Fiction: The last chapter is this.
- Metal Head: Every sympathetic character is obviously this. The preps in the original version are posers in this story.
- Metal Scream: AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW YEAH!
- Mexican Standoff: Lampshaded by Rainblood, followed up by Gibbet referencing this site.
- Minimalistic Cover Art: My Metal's cover is similar to that of Metallica's eponymous black album.
- Nightmare Fetishist: Rainblood.
- Muggles Do It Better: The Unholy Tome explains that the strongest power of all is that of the muggle's imagination.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: Hayley and her friends Oli, Andy, Mitch, and Jenna (Tonight Alive). Also, Dahvie (Blood On the Dance Floor), Hayley's boyfriend in a later chapter.
- Parody: Of My Immortal.
- Parody Sue: Rainblood.
- The Power of Rock: Metal scream potion TRIPLES the powers of your spells!
- Rage Against the Author: Rainblood to James.
- Rape Is a Special Kind of Evil: Rainblood thinks so.
- Real-Person Fic: The Agonist, Cerebral Bore, Mayhem, Ronnie Radke, and James Smith show up in-story.
- Remake Cameo: Ebony herself shows up in the story in the later chapters.
- Ripple Effect-Proof Memory: Rainblood and Beatrice
- Scenery Porn: The settings are also described quite vividly in-story.
- Self-Deprecation: The author actually refers to himself as a poser in-story.
- Shout-Out: A lot of them, mostly to metal bands.
- Spiritual Successor: Subverted.
- Stripperiffic: Most of the outfits worn by the characters are this.
- Teen Genius: Rainblood, who memorized all the prime factors of 666 and every execution method known to man. He is also lead guitarist of the Death Metal band Böats of Mithridates.
- Theme Naming: Almost all the characters are named after execution methods.
- Tome of Eldritch Lore: The Unholy Tome of Unholiness, which is often referenced in the author's notes. It does become an actual plot device later on.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Black coffee and raw steak for Rainblood.
- Troll Fic
- TV Tropes Will Ruin Your Life: Lampshaded by Gibbet in the penultimate chapter.
- Waxing Lyrical: This quote from Gibbet (Willow), as an added explanation of how Gibbet would show up one chapter after Ignacïo confesses to Rainblood that he killed Gibbet. This is in reference to the scene in My Immortal where Willow is brought back to life without explanation.
- Hilariously, Avenged Sevenfold is considered a poser (My Metal's equivalent of a prep) band in this fanfic.
- Also, Rainblood/Chäntal mentions that he's not a vampire, but he feels like one when Tom asked him/her how s/he drank all the blood of a lady in the movie theater. Just like Avenged Sevenfold, Falling in Reverse is also, hilariously, a poser band in this fanfic.
- Whole Plot Reference: Lampshaded by the Unholy Tome of Unholiness, and is actually a plot device of My Metal itself.