My Life Is A Goddamn Mess is a semi-famous Persona 3 Let's Play written by Schildkrote, made to seem like the LiveJournal of the main character, Minato Arisato. The original thread on Something Awful has been archived, but it can be read here.
As the intro goes, Schildkrote once found the livejournal of one RaMeNbOi1990 dated from 2009-2010 (which was in the future at the time). Fascinated with what he found, he archived it all, with the actual account eventually becoming lost for good. In it, Minato recounts his story with a mix of written accounts and some artwork both hand-drawn and animated (AKA screenshots and cutscenes).
There was a sequel about Persona 4 titled Christ Almighty, I Hate This Town, but has since been put on hiatus due to events in Schildkrote's life.
If a trope already applies to Persona 3 and isnt used in the Let's Play, do not add it.
My Life Is A Goddamn Mess provides examples of the following tropes:
- All Just a Dream: Minato getting Lucifer, Messiah, etc. near the end.
- Audience Participation: Minato's progress with Social Links is primarily decided by people he asks online. Despite the fact that the series is supposedly archived entries from long ago, Schildkrote asked people to "play along" as part of an experiment.
- Bittersweet Ending: Acknowledged when he maxes out Mamoru's Social Link and has to say goodbye to him.Minato: His life hadn't turned out the way he'd planned... but he's going to make the best of it. I respect that. With that, Mamoru shook my hand one last time, and left. I went home too, and now here I am writing. Shinjiro, Mamoru...wonder what'll happen if everyone leaves. It's pretty depressing, actually...I think I'd rather go to bed than think about it anymore. Bye, guys.
- Catchphrase: My life is a goddamn mess. He eventually stops using it after Character Development, and its used for heartbreaking effect in the ending.
- Character Blog: Besides Minato, it seems that the members of SEES have LiveJournals of their own, including Aigis, and are fond of commenting each other.
- Character Development: Minato goes from Emo Teen to Messianic Archetype over the course of the story.
- Curbstomp Battle: A few examples. First is SEES' encounter with The Reaper, though that was All Just a Dream. Then there's the battle against the Hell Knights, where the Shadows did more damage to each other than SEES did to them. A Useless Useful Spell Sexy Dance isn't.
- A Day in the Limelight: A page of Junpei and Yukari's own LiveJournals are used to observe Minato from someone else's point of view. Turns out Junpei is even more of a Small Name, Big Ego online and Yukari runs something of a gossip column. In fact, Nyx Avatar/Ryoji is the narrator for most of the final parts of the game.
- Deadpan Snarker: Minato.
- Emo Teen: Minato. He gets better.
- Fantasy Gun Control: Lampshaded, with Minato stating that Kurosawa doesn't provide guns for them due to the fact that it'd be bad to mix up your weapon and your evoker.
- First Girl Wins: Averted. Minato ends up reversing Yukari's Social Link, though he does eventually fix things up with her. That said, her Social Link remains incomplete at the end of the game, but he does max out Chihiro's Social Link.
- Poke the Poodle: Minato's initial attempts at breaking Maiko's little spirit.
- Preclimax Climax: The last thing Minato did before the final night was "share a tender moment" with Chihiro, knowing that it could be the last time they'd be with anyone, much less each other. Chihiro herself is not fully aware of the severity of the situation, but does call it one last favor from Minato..
- Real Dreams Are Weirder: Minato wishes he had the kind of "normal" dreams that make no sense, instead of the plot-relevant ones he tends to actually have.
- Running Gag:
- Minato thinks of Yucatan every time Junpei refers to Yukari as Yuka-tan.
- Every time there's a homoerotic moment between Minato and Bebe, Minato immediately tries to hide it.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Implied to be Melon Bread for Minato when the Old Couple from the Heirophant Social Link gives him some.
- The Usual Adversaries: Fuckin' Strega.
- Who Names Their Kid "Dude"?: Nickname variant.Bebe: My name is Andre Laurent Jean Gireux. But zey call me Bebe!Minato: ...how do you get Bebe from that?
- Word Salad Title: Minato's account name, RaMeNbOi1990. He claims someone from his old school set up the account and chose the name for him.