Death is our only release...
Max and Ruby 0004 is a lost episode Creepypasta about the childrens cartoon Max and Ruby.
Tropes present include:
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Ruby speaks directly to the narrator near the end of the DVD.
Ruby: "Well, whoever's watching this, this is because you never watched any of me and my brother's episodes, so... one of these days, you... will... regret this."
- Cliffhanger: The fate of the narrator is left rather ambiguous since the story ends with him receiving a note with the same message as what was on the end of the DVD.
- Darker and Edgier: As with most Lost Episode creepypastas based on children's shows, it's a given that the lost episode the story describes would deal with darker subject matter than the actual show. The episode shows Max and Ruby becoming orphaned and Max hanging himself due to his inability to cope.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Despite having massive hollow black holes for eyes, Max and Ruby here are not the typical evil versions of the characters from the show, ala Sonic.exe and other Creepypastas.
- Driven to Suicide: Max hangs himself following the deaths of his and Rubys parents.
- Red Filter of Doom: The screenshots of the episode are colored primarily in black, white, and red to give a sinister look.
- Sole Survivor: Ruby is the only surviving member of the family after the deaths of Max and their parents.
- Subverted Kids Show: The story is about the narrator buying a DVD of Max and Ruby containing an episode involving death and suicide.
- The Fourth Wall Will Not Protect You: A couple of days after watching, the narrator receives a note in the mail with the same message as the final message on the DVD: Death is our only release.
- Til Murder Do Us Part: Max and Rubys parents kill each other.
- Twisted Christmas: The narrator gets the DVD as a Christmas gift for his little cousin, not knowing whats on it.