Masks Within Masks is a completed Pokémon fanfic by Bardothren.
Subject Seven is a Zoroak who has led a really difficult life. Born as one of Team Plasma's genetic experiments, she and others like her are regularly subjected to mistreatment and experiments to test the limits of their powers. With the cruel Ghetsis always watching, escape seems impossible... until one day she's given a chance to get away.
Unfortunately, said chance only comes when the equally evil and ambitious Team Rocket raids the base. While in disguise as a human scientist, Subject Seven, now named Steven, is abducted and made a part of Team Rocket. Now she must keep up her illusions, figure out who, if anyone, she can trust, and work her way up through the ranks as she works on escaping for good, as well as learning what Giovanni is up to.
The story can be found here.
This fanfic contains examples of:
- Evil vs. Evil: Team Rocket is just as bad as Team Plasma and has similar goals, something Giovanni lampshades when talking to Mewtwo.
- Gender-Blender Name: Subject Seven is female, but takes the name Steven as a human.
- Master of Illusion: All Zoroak and Zorua are this, but Seven's illusion-casting skills are especially potent.
- An Offer You Can't Refuse: Seamus notes that several Rocket members were forced into the team when their loved ones were threatened.
- They Would Cut You Up: Seven has frequent nightmares of being experimented on, especially given her past history and the fact that she's unable to control her illusions when asleep.
- You Are Number 6: Seven and other experiments like her, such as Twelve the Dratini, were only given numbers as names.