The night Marty does his "Darth Vader" routine, Doc and Marty bond.
This fanfic includes examples of the following tropes:
- Accidental Murder: Marty worries that he could have killed George with the chloroform he used to drug him.
- Affectionate Gesture to the Head: Doc absentmindedly strokes Marty's hair while the teen is asleep.
- Call-Forward: While musing about the possible effects of Marty being his son, Doc thinks that Marty would probably have been called "Jules Verne" if he had been. In the third film, he names his sons "Jules" and "Verne."
- Freudian Slip: Marty recalls accidentally calling Doc "Dad" back in 1985. He even calls it a Freudian slip.
- Intelligence Equals Isolation: Doc was treated like a "freak" growing up because he was so far ahead of his peers.
- Like a Son to Me: Doc admits to himself that he feels as though Marty is family, and he envies George and Lorraine. See also Title Drop.
- Loser Son of Loser Dad: Marty tells Doc that his siblings are a lot like his parents and not going anywhere. He admits that he has streaks of this, like not sending in the demo tape.
- Parental Substitute: Marty tells Doc that back in 1985, he's more of a father figure to him than George is.
- Sleep Cute: Doc drifts off when they are checking the future photograph, and Marty falls asleep curled up against him.
- Title Drop: Marty and Doc use the words "Ich Liebe Dich" on the other while they're asleep. It means, "I love you" in German.