Anyone at Crystal Prep who knew Twilight Sparkle would never assume that this shy bookworm with top grades in all subjects could hold something evil within.
Thus, when said bookworm turned into Midnight Sparkle under the influence of the magic she released, everyone present was shocked to see their classmate become a callous and ruthless she-demon.
Nobody could understand: why? Twilight wasn't evil... was she?
Her Inner Demons is a My Little Pony: Equestria Girls Friendship Games one-shot Continuation fanfic written by Extradimensional Alien.
Beware, there are spoilers for the original movie.
- Adult Fear:
- Sci-Twilight being stuck in a school where nobody liked or respected her, and being resented for her academic achievements.
- Sci-Twilight was blackmailed by someone she trusted.
- All Take and No Give: This was Sci-Twilight's relationship with her classmates in a nutshell. Despite giving Crystal Prep prestige, her classmates only gave her scorn. Cinch initially averted this by giving Sci-Twilight some privileges, but then played this straight by blackmailing her into entering the Friendship Games. Small wonder she became so resentful and vindictive.
- Armor-Piercing Question: Sunny Flare asks the question that begins the story: "Why did Twilight turn into that demoness?" Sunny Flare gets her answer, though answering it is shown to be a rather long, complicated affair.
- Broken Pedestal: Principal Cinch was one of the few people at Crystal Prep who gave Sci-Twilight any kind of respect and recognition for her hard work. Sci-Twilight felt outright betrayal when Cinch threatened to keep her from Everton.
- Beware the Quiet Ones: An Aesop that the Shadowbolts learn from Sci-Twilight. Just because she was always quiet didn't mean that things didn't hurt.
- Butt-Monkey: Deconstructed. After being picked on and humiliated so long, it left some pretty deep psychological scars that led to Twilight feeling a ton of resentment and anger at the people around her.
- The Cobbler's Children Have No Shoes: Sugarcoat's dad is a psychologist. Not only did she fail to see how Sci-Twilight was being treated by others, she played a part in it herself.
- Cooldown Hug: When Sci-Twilight was about to cry over Cinch's blackmail, the rest of the Rainbooms gave her one.
- Corrupt the Cutie: The fic explores how Twilight grew increasingly vindictive towards her classmates, to the point where she sought power to fight back, enough to become Midnight Sparkle.
- Cut His Heart Out with a Spoon: Sci-Twilight (internally) began ranting about how her classmates would suffer very gruesome punishments.Sci-Twilight (thinking): Are you (Sunny Flare) blind? Maybe I should perform laser surgery on your eyes... and "accidentally" burn them out!
- Did You Think I Can't Feel?: Sci-Twilight was so quiet, the Shadowbolts never realized they were driving her over the edge. Twilight says as much when she tells them why she became Midnight Sparkle.
- Enemy Within: Sci-Twilight's negative emotions gradually became this, convincing her to use the magic she stored to hit back.
- Everyone Has Standards: Despite being a jock, Rainbow Dash dislikes those who look down on smart people.
- Foil: As Princess Twilight observed, both Sunset and Sci-Twilight reached a point where they desired power. But while Sunset just wanted power to rule, Sci-Twilight wanted power to punish those who had harmed her. The result was the same.
- Forgiven, but Not Forgotten: While Twilight is no longer mad at the Shadowbolts for the grief they caused her, she doesn't want to go back to Crystal Prep, and wants some time to herself before she can hang out with them.
- From Bad to Worse: Sci-Twilight, unfortunately, suffered this twofold.
- Sci-Twilight transferred to Crystal Prep believing that she would be better accepted there than at her old school. Unfortunately, she found an even more toxic and unfriendly environment.
- By the beginning of the movie, her equanimity was already coming apart from ridicule and disdain of the student body. The pressure and torment she faced during the story, plus Cinch's blackmail, drove her to the point of seeking revenge.
- The Heartless: Midnight Sparkle was born from Twilight's feelings of alienation and loneliness.
- Heel Realization:
Sugarcoat: Twilight, I... words cannot express what utter shame I am feeling right now. I have always believed in ideals of Crystal Prep, of competitiveness and constant race, because I truly believed that was an essential part of progress... but I forgot, in my blindness, that the Shadowbolts are supposed to take care of each other, and you were a Shadowbolt, since Cinch, er... chose you to represent our school. And I didn't do that. None of us did.
- The Shadowbolts are ashamed of themselves for their personal role in driving Twilight into becoming Midnight Sparkle. Both Lemon Zest and Sunny Flare felt bad enough to vomit.
- Sugarcoat ends up feeling terrible for not noticing Sci-Twilight's breakdown.
- Sci-Twilight herself regrets letting her anger the better of her and becoming so cruel.
- Innocently Insensitive: The Shadowbolts' hyper-competitive nature made them oblivious to Twilight's emotions. But this only fueled Twilight's already growing despair, and made her more susceptible to her inner demons.
- More Than Mind Control: The dark part of Twilight's mind fed off her desire for revenge and her lust for knowledge to allow her to become Midnight Sparkle.
- OOC Is Serious Business: Lemon Zest takes off her beloved headphones, because she is that curious about how Sci-Twilight saw her. Sugarcoat took off her glasses when expressing her regret.
- Persecuted Intellectuals: Sci-Twilight was this at the hands of her classmates who resented her accomplishments.
- Reality Ensues: The Shadowbolts wonder why a wallflower like Sci-Twi would have a Superpowered Evil Side like Midnight Sparkle. Turns out, it's from her classmates treating her with contempt. Being insulted, ignored, blackmailed, and suffering through all kinds of abuse in Crystal Prep gave Sci-Twi plenty of dark thoughts about the people around her, just like any real-life high school student might react.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Connections!: Twilight couldn't lash out at the students who tormented her since they came from powerful families.
- Then Let Me Be Evil: All the bullying Sci-Twilight has gone through is what pushed her off the deep end. She decided that if the students of Crystal Prep were going to crush her dreams, she was going to fight back.
- Tranquil Fury: Sci-Twilight had to act meek toward the people she disliked to avoid retribution. Internally, her mind was a thunderstorm of hot rage.
- True Companions: The Humane Five and Sunset for Sci-Twilight. Applejack and Rainbow Dash, in particular, wanted to beat up the kids who bullied Twilight in her old school.
- Ungrateful Bastard: Sci-Twilight's classmates had no respect for Twilight winning them anything. Cinch sealed herself as this through her blackmail.
- Villain Has a Point: The dark side of Sci-Twilight's mind was able to sway her into becoming Midnight Sparkle by rightly pointing out how nobody gave her any respect. When Sci-Twilight apologizes for her dark emotions, the Shadowbolts themselves agreed that she was not wrong for feeling vindictive, and that she had nothing to be sorry for.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: Sci-Twi, by the end of "Unleash the Magic"Midnight Sparkle: Friendship Games are a lie. No one is interested in friendships, only victory. FRIENDSHIP IS A LIE! Power is what matters! And you can gain it right here, right now! So will you catch this chance? Or are you content with the ill fate that is about to befall you? You being hated even more? Denied everything? Having your dream shattered?!Sci-Twilight: NO! I WON'T LET THEM DO THIS! NOT CINCH, NOT SHADOWBOLTS, AND NOT THIS GROUP OF "MAGIC GIRLS" EITHER! ALL OF THEM ONLY BROUGHT ME SADNESS AND MISERY, AND NOW THEY WANT TO SHATTER MY DREAMS! BUT I! HAVE! HAD! ENOUGH!!!