Rarity may be prim and proper, but all those gems for her dresses don't dig themselves up. So, Rarity begins another trip to collect all the gems she can find using her special jewel-detecting spells, and hits a motherlode of beautiful gems in a secluded cave.
Unfortunately, said jackpot belongs to somebody already; Greenfire the dragon, and he is not happy that Rarity is about to steal his carefully-collected hoard. Thinking fast, Rarity talks her way out of the situation by pointing out how rude it would be to eat her. However, Rarity eventually finds something worth much more than even a year's worth of gems, and that's the wonderful friend (and romantic interest) that is Greenfire himself.
This Fan Fic provides examples of:
- Alternate Universe: A universe where Spike was never hatched by Twilight, instead growing up alone in the Everfree Forest. Oh, his name is Greenfire, as well.
- Beast and Beauty: A beautiful fashionista and an intimidating, powerful dragon, though Rarity quickly finds he's not anywhere near unattractive.
- Beauty Is Never Tarnished: Greenfire notes how Rarity still looks great when she's exhausted and grimy from a day's worth of gem-digging.
- Cry into Chest: After Greenfire reveals to Rarity how he grew up alone in a forest, Rairty is the one who snuggles up and begins weeping. His gentleness and sensitivity during the scene triggers Rarity's Love Epiphany.
- Casual Danger Dialogue: When a knight is preparing to attack Greenfire, Greenfire's voiced concerns are only of the Knight ruining his picnic with Rarity.
- Damsel in Distress: Most mares who stay around dragons are there because they've been kidnapped, but Rarity is both a willing visitor and a close friend of said dragon. That doesn't stop a roving knight from assuming this when he sees Greenfire and Rarity together.
- Dead Fic: Last updated September 2013.
- Did I Just Have Tea With Cthulhu?: Or a terrifying dragon in this case. However, it's the Cthulhu who notes how odd this is, but Rarity takes it all in stride.
- Did You Just Romance A Dragon?: The story is definitely heading this way, though part of the story focuses on Rarity realizing Greenfire is nothing like a monster like she was led to believe.
- Female Gaze: When Greenfire gives Rarity a ride over a cliff, she's very appreciative of his rippling, warm muscles that she's almost in full-body contact with.
- Foreign Queasine/Culture Clash: Over the issue of gems. Spike is shocked ponies use them to look pretty, Rarity is shocked that dragons eat them.
- Gentle Giant: Greenfire that giant, but he's easily taller than most ponies. He's also one of the nicest dragons out there.
- Held Gaze: Rarity and Greenfire start doing this as they get more familiar with each other.
- The Hermit: Greenfire, by choice, avoids pony society. Rarity's attempt to invite him to the Summer Sun Celebration doesn't go to well, because he doesn't think that anypony—aside from Rarity—will accept him, plus he feels like Rarity is "bossing him around". He hasn't even had contact with any other dragons, either.
- Honor Before Reason: Rarity walking back into the den of the dragon who could easily kill her if he suspects her reasons are less than pure, just to thank Greenfire for returning some gems to her. She can't believe she's doing it either. Fortunately, this works out rather well for her.
- Knight in Shining Armor: Inverted! When the knight finds Greenfire and Rarity, it's the knight acting like a murderous bully, and it's the dragon who's attempting diplomacy and defending his lady.
- Love Epiphany: During Rarity's Cry into Chest moment, she realizes her attraction to him has moved past physical and more for who Greenfire is.
- My Species Doth Protest Too Much: Greenfire is nothing like other dragons. He admits that he's never had any contact with other dragons, so his behavior is a mix of his instincts and what he reads of dragons in his books.
- Parental Abandonment: Spike never had parents, he instead grew up alone on instincts in the Everfree forest. He feels some loneliness, but apart from that he's fine.
- Samaritan Relationship Starter: It's actually Greenfire that kicks off the relationship by giving Rarity some gems that she had tried and failed to unearth. She comes back to properly thank him, they plan to meet once again, and things go from there.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man : Rarity is attracted to Greenfire by how polite, compassionate, and erudite Spike seems. He even proves to be more chivalrous than an actual knight when it shows up. That's not counting his amazing masuline attributes as well.
- Slave to PR: Joked about when Spike admits to Rarity he's really a big softie. No knight or treasure hunter would fear a polite, pacifistic dragon, after all.
- Through His Stomach: Greenfire enjoys two things when Rarity visits: the pleasant company of Rarity herself, and the delicious food she brings with her.
- Unwanted Assistance: Briefly when Rarity argues for an outside picnic as Greenfire tries to hide her on the day a knight comes trying murder Greenfire. This obviously drops when she meets the knight.