This story is the sequel to Princess Celestia: The Changeling Queen.
Alternia, sister to Chrysalis, ruled Equestria for a thousand years, disguised as Princess Celestia, while the alicorn slumbered in a healing sleep. Now revealed, Alternia prepares to become Equestrias first changeling princess, and prove herself to the ponies she loves at the side of her co-rulers Luna and the newly-returned Celestia.
But even as the crown descends onto Alternias head, something is stirring in the depths of the Eastern Sea, something that will turn the surface world onto its head. Some power that could destroy Alternia, and all that she loves, before she can even regain the approval of her own ponies.
Will Alternia restore the trust her ponies once placed with her? Will she found a hive? Will she find love?
All that is certain is that Equestria, and the world, will never be the same again.
Equestria's Changeling Queen and the Abyssal Empress is a complete My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic fanfic written by vren55 and sequel to Princess Celestia: The Changeling Queen. It can be read here. It has a companion story, Princess Celestia The Changeling Queen: Stories Behind the Mask. It was completed April 13, 2017, with 31 chapters and 253,609 words.
This My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic Fan Fic provides examples of:
- Darker and Edgier: By a lot. To a Lovecraftian level.
- Combat Tentacles: One of the most important biological abilities that the kelpies have. It's one major reason why they have such a major melee advantage over the Equestrians.
- Did We Just Have Tea with Cthulhu?: Averted; while the Equestrians and the Aquestrians under Empress Tethys have come to an agreement of sorts, it's not exactly 100% friendly.
- Eldritch Abomination: The kelpies and Empress Tethys have shades of this. However... the Old One Shi'Nihalar is so terrifying it makes even the massive Empress Tethys concerned and necessitates an Enemy Mine.
- Ghost Ship: The Griffon destroyer Celestia's fleet finds.
- I'm a Humanitarian: Kelpies cannot survive without eating the flesh of other sapients.
- Mugging the Monster: After reports of pirate activity on the eastern sea, Equestria sets up "trap" ship filled with disguided changelings.
- Poor Communication Kills: The war starts at least partly because the increased maritime activity is leaving pollution under the waves that negatively affect the seaponies and kelpies, and when Empress Tethys attempted to discuss the problem with Celestia the messages went unanswered...because they were being sent to the long-since-abandoned Castle of the Two Sisters in the Everfree Forest.
- Shout-Out: Similarly to the prequel's naming of Equestria's Joint Chiefs of Staff, most of the names of changeling queens are derived from famous female warrior leaders real, (Lionore, Kleis Patra, Wutien, Borte, Pythadora, Shebar), fictional (Sarar of "The Blades", Zagara, Kagura of the "White Foxes"note ), or legendarily somewhere in between (Didor).