After being freed from their bonds, the Emotional Entities seek out a world where they can live in peace and harmony. What better place to live than Equestria, a land which embodies the very powers of will, hope, compassion, and love? But can the entities of the Emotional Spectrum fit in with the pony races? And can they truly escape the turmoil of the universe they left behind, or will a new War of Light be ignited?
Complete with 30 Chapters, a sequel has already been written. See below.
This story contains examples of:
- Action Mare: Most of the cast, including two of the Entities.
- Affectionate Nickname: Cadence refers to Twilight as "Ladybug".
- All Your Base Are Belong to Us: During the climax, the Negative Entities seize control of Canterlot.
- Badass Creed: Most of the Entities get new ones when they gain Willing Channelers.
In blackest day, in brightest night,
- Parallax and Chrysalis:
Beware your fears made into light!
Let those who try to stop my fright,
Burn like my power terrors might!
This power is mine, this is my light,
- Ophidian and Spike:
Be it in Bright of Day or Black of Night!
I lay claim to all that falls within my sight,
To take what is MINE, that is my right!
In Brightest Day, in Blackest Night,
- Ion and Applejack:
We will stand against evils blight!
Let all those who doubt our might,
Behold this power Wills grand light!
In fearful day, in raging night,
- Adara and Scootaloo:
With our wings we now take flight!
Open your eyes and see this sight,
All will be well Hopes shining light!
In Blackest Night, when fear may show,
- Proselyte and Fluttershy:
Like Brightest Day, let our power glow!
Unite as one as our feelings grow,
Through Compassions light we dispel all woe!
For hearts long lost and black as night,
- Predator and Cadence:
For those filled with sorrow and spite!
Accept this power, let it shine bright,
Triumph forevermore Loves violet light!
- Berserk Button: Butcher, as the Entity of Rage, takes issue with the Windigos' methods of spreading rage.The Butcher: Ice and snow, hate and rage is not cold, it is fiery and blazing! Like a fire that cannot be contained!
- Big Bad Duumvirate: The Negative Entities — Parallax, Ophidian, and the Butcher — have teamed up to defeat the other Entities and take over Equestria. Queen Chrysalis is also around, but is quickly made a pawn of Parallax. There's also Nightmare Moon, who becomes the Butcher's host, but dominates him, taking his place in the alliance.
- Bi the Way
- Derpy casually reveals she's bisexual, much to Sparkler's surprise.
- Part of Sweetie Belle's character arc is her realizing this about herself.
- Cerebus Retcon: For Twilight's ascension. As revealed at the end of the story, she was actually vaporized in the process, and subsequently resurrected. This is how she's a viable White Lantern.
- Dark and Troubled Past:
- Scootaloo. Her father is implied to have been highly abusive, and she's spent years living as an orphan, with a crippling virus affecting her wings. Fortunately, Adara heals her, and Twilight and Rainbow later adopt her.
- Part of Fluttershy's withdrawn nature is that her little brother Headwind died protecting her.
- Darkest Hour: Spike's been manipulated into becoming Ophidian's host and abducted Rarity and Applebloom, and the Negative Entities have captured their Positive counterparts and occupied Canterlot.
- 11th-Hour Superpower: During the Final Battle, Twilight becomes a White Lantern.
- Enemy Mine: An example played for laughs during the Bro Blast competition — Twilight and Applejack are getting into a heated argument over whose brother is better, when the Flim Flam brothers show up. The girls quickly team up against them.
- Enemy Within: Nightmare Moon is still skulking about Luna's subconscious. A series of events lead to her becoming an Enemy Without and merging with the Butcher.
- Evil Is Not a Toy: Nightmare Moon merges with the Butcher and takes his power for herself. When they're separated, he's pissed, and vaporizes her.
- Evil vs. Evil: The Butcher vs. the Windigos.
- Gondor Calls for Aid: During the climatic fight against the Negative Entities, the ponies call on help from the thunderbird and Ursa and Canis Majors/Minors befriended earlier in the story.
- Happily Adopted:
- Scootaloo, by Twilight and Rainbow.
- Proselyte is effectively adopted by Fluttershy.
- HeelRace Turn: The Changelings, after being purified of Parallax's influence.
- Imagination-Based Superpower: A power all the Entities share.
- In Spite of a Nail: Despite diverging from canon some point in Season 4, Twilight's library is still blown up and replaced with a magically-created castle. Except in this case, the tree is destroyed by Nightmare Butcher, and the castle created by Twilight's White Lantern power.
- Kaiju: In addition to the canon Ursa Major and Minor, there's also the Canis Major and Minor, as well as the thunderbird.
- Know When to Fold 'Em: During the Final Battle, the Butcher, of all people, shows this. With Parallax and Ophidian captured, and having just been separated from and destroyed his own host, he knows he can't win, and surrenders.
- Love Triangle: There are a few, feeding the story's drama:
- Applebloom has a crush on Spike, who's still in love with Rarity, but starts to return her feelings. Ophidian manipulates this to make Spike give into his greed, so Ophidian can possess him.
- Sweetie Belle has a crush on Scootaloo, who ends up in a relationship with Adara.
- Predator falls in love with Cadence, who naturally is already spoken for.
- My Species Doth Protest Too Much: Chrysalis' servant Murmur is the only Changeling not to side with her Queen after she becomes Parallax's host, instead fleeing to warn the Crystal Empire. And later plays a key role in redeeming Chrysalis.
- Rescue Romance: Between Adara and Scootaloo.
- Sequel Hook: The Death Entity resurrects King Sombra, taking him as its host.
- Shapeshifter Mode Lock: At the end of the story, Twilight uses her White Lantern powers to do this to the Negative Entities, until such time as they can learn to feel their Positive counterparts.
- Ship Tease: Between Applejack & Ion, Spike & Applebloom, Adara & Scootaloo, and Fluttershy & Derpy primarily, but there are a few others.
- Several famous horror movie icons are referenced during the Nightmare Night costume contest.
- After becoming Parallax's host, Chrysalis sings "In The Dark Of The Night".
- Suddenly Voiced: Discord gives Angel Bunny the ability to speak.
- Villain Team-Up: Parallax and Queen Chrysalis.
- Willing Channeler: As per the comics, emotionally compatible beings can choose to become hosts to the Entities.
Entities of Emotion 2: Dark is the Night
Entities of Emotion 2: Dark is the Night takes place four years after the Entities of the Emotional Spectrum starting living amongst the ponies of Equestria and have gotten used to mortal life, for the most part, and will soon be spending Hearth's Warming Eve with their respective families and friends.
However, this Hearth's Warming Eve night will be less than joyous. The darkness of the Blackest Night has made it's preparations and is now ready to turn this night of life and happiness, into one of death and tragedy. The Entities and the ponies whom they've sworn to protect will have to stand together if any of them want to see the dawn of Hearth's Warming Day!
"Happy Hearth's Warming to all, and to all, a dead night..."
This story contains examples of:
- Abusive Parents: It was already implied in the first story that Scootaloo's father was physically abusive to her. Here, it's revealed by his Black Lantern that he was actually sexually abusive, and in fact was responsible for the virus that almost cost her her wings, intentionally infecting her with it so she couldn't run away.
- Accidental Murder: It turns out that Scootaloo killed her abusive father in self-defense.
- Anger Born of Worry: Applejack is worried when Ion goes off to fight threats to Equestria, not because she's opposed to it in principal (she's not), she's clearly just worried about him getting hurt.
- Attempted Rape: A mugger tries this on Babs, only to get Mind Raped by Parallax.
- Badass Creed: Sombra coins a new one for the Black Lanterns (though they replace "By my command" with "By Sombra's command"):The Blackest Night falls from the skies,
Let us hear your deathly cries!
Well twist your souls as your light dies,
By my command the dead shall RISE!
Whats mine is yours, and you are mine,
- After Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon jointly become Ophidian's hosts, they create a new Orange Lantern oath:
Joined together until the end of time!
My body and soul, my very core,
The light and you, mine forevermore!
The power of the crimson red,
- Butcher and Gilda after she becomes his host:
Will burn away the blackest dread!
Together with power and might,
Our fury will shine this scarlet light!
From shimmering day, unto darkest night,
- Predator changes up her creed when she takes Chrysalis as a temporary new host:
My love will stand against all spite!
When evil shows and bellows with might,
Ill stand in arms with my violet light!
Youse who are evil, sinister and dead
- Babs coins one when she becomes Parallax's host. He doesn't entirely like her word choice:
Im the scariest thing youll ever dread!
Come on you creeps, show your might,
Ill crush you all with Fears yellow light! Yowza!
- Big Bad: Black Lantern Sombra.
- Bodyguard Crush: Murmur is in love with Chrysalis. Chrysalis later returns the feeling.
- Captured Super-Entity: The Black Lanterns are revealed to have captured Discord and sealed him within their central power battery.
- Do Not Call Me "Paul": Parallax greatly dislikes the nickname of "Perry" that Babs uses for him.
- Dreaming of Things to Come: Twilight dreams of the Darkness coming to consume the Light.
- Enemy Mine: All the Entities, both Positive and Negative, realize that they have to work together once again to stop the new Blackest Night.
- Godzilla Threshold: As soon as she realizes that the Blackest Night has come to Equestria, Adara tells Twilight she needs to remove the seals on the Negative Entities' powers, as they're going to need the entire spectrum to fight the Black Lanterns.
- Important Haircut: Fluttershy has cut her mane much shorter, as a symbol of how she's trying to be more assertive.
- Late-Arrival Spoiler: For the previous story.
- Love Triangle: One is shaping up between Sweetie Belle, Proselyte, and Dinky, as Sweetie's crush on Lyte is conflicting with Dinky's own feelings for him (which are a confused mess of familial and romantic). Meanwhile, Lyte himself doesn't know how he feels about them.
- O.O.C. Is Serious Business: Adara normally tries to subdue opponents nonviolently. But when it comes to Black Lanterns, she tell Scootaloo they need to hit first and hit hard.
- Right Behind Me: Scootaloo teases Spike by jokingly talking about sexy stuff they could do together that Adara and Applebloom wouldn't know or care about... and then realizes they're both behind her.
- Shout-Out: During Parallax's first appearance in the story, he uses what's effectively a Penance Stare on a mugger.
- Super Empowering: Twilight uses her White ring to create new rings of the other colors, of varying numbers, in order to boost their chances against the Black Lanterns.
- Time Skip: Jumps four years from the previous story.
- You Are Better Than You Think You Are: Adara and Derpy respectfully give these to Scootaloo and Fluttershy after the Breaking Lectures they get from their Black Lantern relatives.
- You Should Have Died Instead: The Black Lantern of Fluttershy's brother, Headwind, says this as part of an attempt to Break Them by Talking.
- Zombie Apocalypse: Sombra brings about a new Blackest Night.