After their previous defeat by two Sonics, the older and younger Eggmen find themselves stuck in a white void with no way out. But they find shelter thanks to another Dr. Eggman from the erased, 2006 timeline, who's spent a great deal of time there on his own. The three mad scientists come up with a plan, recruiting their other selves so that they might combine their brainpower, and get rid of Sonic and his friends once and for all.
A Sonic fan-fic that pulls different versions of Eggman throughout the franchise's history into a room, letting their schemes collide and interfere with one another. Because the premise involves multiple versions of Eggman meeting, the doctors were given their own names, identifying which eras they emerged from: Eggman Prime (from the 3D games), Robotnik Prime (from the early, 2D ones), Eggman Solaris (from 2006), Eggman Nega (from the Sonic Rush Series), Eggman Boom (from Sonic Boom), and Robotnik XL (an amalgam of Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, and Sonic SATAM). As such, several different Sonic canons are represented, along with many references to other games.
The fic was uploaded to Fan Fiction Dot Net on February 17th, 2016.
Eggman Generations has the following tropes:
- Alternate Universe(s): Plural.
- Future Me Scares Me: Robotnik actually loathes his older self, even starting to understand why Sonic fights him all the time if Eggman is the person Robotnik grows up to be.
- My Future Self and Me: Eggman Prime questions whether he, himself, shouldn't exist, since his past self doesn't want to be anything like him, but he writes it off.
- Temporal Paradox: Enforced, by the nature of two Doctor Eggman's from the past and future existing in the same time and space, and later, they encounter the Eggman from the erased timeline of Sonic 2006.
- The Empire: The Eggman Empire, the doctor's ultimate goal.
- The Multiverse: Implied by the premise. The characters refer to their worlds with varying terminology: dimensions and timelines.
- The Smart Guy: Averted, seeing that the main characters are all mad scientists.
- Villain Protagonist: The main characters are all versions of Eggman from other timelines, games, and dimensions entirely. The story is about the doctor and his allies, rather than Sonic and his friends.