Dance of the Dog God is a Naruto fanfiction by Tartarun
What would have happened if Kakashi had believed his father was in the right, and abandoned the village?
Dance of the Dog God contains examples of:
- Alternate Universe Fic
- Ancestral Weapon: Kakashi still wields his father's sabre.
- Badass Family: Aside from the canon examples, Naruto and Sasuke form one with their guardian, Obito. Sakura later joins as well, when she becomes a Uchiha ward.
- Badass Teacher: Obito
- Becoming the Mask: In a rather Nightmare Fuel inducing way, Sasuke pretends to be a vengeful spirit, only to end up actually being controlled by one.
- Big Brother Instinct: Sasuke is very protective of Naruto. Naruto is no slouch when it comes to Sasuke's safety, either, but technically Sasuke is older.
- Curbstomp Battle: The Zabuza clone vs. Furido. Also, Neji versus the branch house.
- Darker and Edgier
- Demonic Possession: Poor Sasuke. Also hinted to be what happened to Itachi.
- Eldritch Abomination: The thing in the well on Uzu.
- Fantasy Pantheon: Although at least some of them were taken from Real Life Japanese Shinto deities.
- Happily Adopted: Sasuke and Naruto.
- Like Brother and Sister: Kakashi's opinion on the old Team 7's dynamic, even after leaving the village.
- Never Mess with Granny: Miyake Asari
- O.O.C. Is Serious Business: When Sasuke goes from trying to rescue Hanabi to forming a death cult, you know that SOMETHING is up.
- Papa Wolf: Obito.
- Parental Abandonment: Sakura's mother.
- "Reason You Suck" Speech: Genma gives one to Team 7 during their bell test.
- Secret Test of Character: Obito's arrest.
- Team Dad: Obito, with a dash of Big Brother Mentor thrown in for flavor. He's also this in a more literal sense, as he is the parental guardian of Naruto and Sasuke, and eventually Sakura as well.
- Trickster Mentor: The benevolent interpretation of Kakashi. Though he does clearly have his own agenda in everything he does, he also uses time and resources to mess with Team 7, in a way that might leave them less vulnerable to other threats.
- We ARE Struggling Together: Team 7, at first.
- Wham Episode: Chapter 13, wherein it is learned that the old shinobi gods actually exist. And some of them are rather angry. Ouch.
- With a Friend and a Stranger: Team 7 is this when first formed, Naruto and Sasuke being all but brothers and Sakura being the stranger to be a sounding board for exposition about the nuances of the AU.
- Yakuza: Failed genin have formed one in Tanzaki Gai, which is central to one of the early arcs.