It takes place right after My Little Pony: The Movie at the Friendship Festival after the Storm King's invasion, and Spike is feeling depressed and tries to avoid everypony, but luckily, Princess Celestia, Princess Luna and Princess Cadance try to help him during the aftermath of the invasion.
This story provides examples of:
- Beneath the Mask: This story implies Spike was only acting like he was alright after the invasion (He looked like he had fun announcing Songbird Serenade at the end of the film), and that underneath he's filled up to his body with misery.
- Cry into Chest: Spike does this when Cadance asks what's wrong, and Spike runs over to Cadance and starts sobbing into her chest.
- Cooldown Hug: Cadance hugs Spike when he's sobbing and Celestia and Luna join in.
- The Load: Explores how Spike feels about being this way. Beautifully handled when they tell him he is NOT worthless after all.
- Parental Substitute: The three princesses all show a motherly side to Spike, and Twilight does near the beginning when she's concerned about Spike.
- Tender Tears: Spike sheds these towards the climax.
- What Did I Miss Entrance: Discord arrives in Fluttershy's empty cottage at the end, returning from a vacation, only to find all of Ponyville is empty.