Boundaries is a Pokemon Fan Fiction written by Choice Brogan. It follows Stone Hardacre, an aspiring Pokemon Trainer and baseball fan, and his loyal, yet snarky Braixen, Fifi, as they are enrolled into a Prestigious Pokemon Academy to sharpen their skills and grow their bond together.
At least, that's how it was supposed to be. On top of coming from a poor family and possessing a knack for getting into trouble, Stone's Pokemon has also, to his initial surprise, taught herself to speak English, and is not afraid to use her new skills to speak up about her feelings for her "master". Combine this with her optimistic attitude, increasingly human behavior, and a very strong bond with her trainer, and you get a Pokemon that is a magnet for unwanted attention, and concern. Soon, Stone is warned by his parents that if Fifi doesn't return from the academy as a "normal" Pokemon, they will have to step in and solve the problem their "own ways".
The story has been cited as very articulate and well written, especially compared to other stories of it's kind, with large focus on characterization and lengthy but detailed banter scenes between characters, chiefly between Stone and Fifi.
Is currently ongoing, but can be prone to long hiatuses due to the authors problems at home.
This fanfic contains examples of...
- A Friend in Need: Fifi seems to never skip a beat when it comes to pep-talks.
- Action Girl: In Chapter 2, Fifi manages to knock out a level 50~ish Garchomp. Unfortunately, their victory doesn't last...
- Alternate Universe: Implied by the story to be taking place in the real world, with the main plot taking place in the Midwestern U.S.
- The Bad Guy Wins: Averted. When it seems that Stone is about to lose the battle in Chapter 2, they receive an unexpected save from one of their friends.
- Cluster F-Bomb: So much that it could wipe out a city...
- Cute Monster Girl: Fifi, being a Braixen.
- Darker and Edgier: On top of the previously mentioned profanity especially in later chapters the fan fiction is not afraid to make the occasional sex joke or throw in some toilet humor for the heck of it and even this is omitting the Interspecies Romance. Overall, the story is much closer in tone to South Park than Pokemon.
- Dead Fic: Averted. It stopped updating for 1 and a half years before it came back.
- Deadpan Snarker: A ubiquitous trait among most of the cast.
- Fallen Hero: Edgy seems to be this, although it is hinted that he was more sociable in the past.
- In-Series Nickname: Many characters are referred to by nickname either as an insult or to conceal their true identity.
- Interspecies Romance: It begins at chapter 11 if youre curious.
- Jerkass: Assy, as Stone has affectionately called him, is your standard antagonistic rival: cruel, abusive, and rude. He's no pushover in battle either.
- Loads and Loads of Characters: Being set in a pseudo-college, the story has no shortage of personalities that they can utilize.
- Undying Loyalty: Many Pokemon in the story show high dedication and considerable care for their trainers.
- Yank the Dog's Chain: Stone, especially in the early chapters, can't seem to catch a break...