It's still in its beggining stages with the basic plot just being laid out.
This story stands out for having a Darker and Edgier pokemon only world that's portrayed as stuck as wild. The main character dies brutally again in the second chapter.
Black victory: Legendary rescue contains examples of:
- Animalistic Abomination: A Pokenoid abomination actually, but since Black is a human soul reincarnated in a legendary's body, he also has powers that don't really fit with a Victini, such as Time Master powers and an Inventory. The later is given to him by Arceus to aid him, the former by himself.
- Berserk Button: Black saying this is all a game makes his future self snap, he also doesnt take being killed very well.
- Big Bad: Dark Arceus. It hasn't even appeared yet, but the story starts with the main character being summoned to help with the war effort against it.
- The Chosen One: There is a prophecy saying that Black will save the day. Celebi explicitly refuses to say the Exact Words when prompted to by Black.
- Combo Platter Powers: Playing with Fire, Psychic Powers, Time Master... Blacks abilities run around multiple types.
- Exact Words: Black asks Celebi the exact wording of the prophecy the instant he learns she's its creator, she politely refuses, claiming that they would be risking the bad guys learning about it too.
- Future Me Scares Me: Black sure is scared when his future self snaps and goes on an angry tirade.
- Genki Girl: Celebi comes out as quite hyper for someone her size. This might be to stick with the canon movie interpretation of her.
- Healing Hands: Celebi has this ability, and uses it to accelerate Black's healing.
- I Hate Past Me: Future Black definitely doesnt like the current one, pushing his Berserk Button probably has a lot to do with it.
- I Have Many Names: Pokemon have four different types of names: The true name which is their real name and their most closely guarded secret and a great source of power, the social name which is what they socialize with, a rough equivalent would be our term of username, the species name which should be obvious to all of us and finally the folk name, which is a moniker or several that other people grant you.
- It Gets Easier: Celebi comforts Black with this argument to calm him down from hysteria when he first kills a pokemon.
- Stable Time Loop: Invoked and exploited shamelessly by the protagonist. He goes back to the start of his journey from an undisclosed middle point to give himself the abilities he got when his future self came to him.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Black gets this 3 times, twice for having to kill a Rattata he was hunting for food and another for hurting Celebi's feelings.
- "No. Just... No" Reaction: Black gives one when he deduces Celebi is inside that thing holding her inside it's body.
- Physical God: Arceus and Dark Arceus are literal gods, or at least, Arceus is, what Dark Arceus is hasn't been established yet.
- Both sets of legendaries count too.
- Purposefully Overpowered: Justified. Unlike most Self Inserts out there, Black was specifically reincarnated to be a Person of Mass Destruction Super Soldier, a legendary and a harbinger of victory itself, of course he would be damn powerful.
- Rant-Inducing Slight: A good rant at the end of chapter 1. See Berserk Button to see why but to sum it up, this is a future version of the protagonist who has endured unknown trials and a War Is Hell setting, upon recognizing his past self's naivety he snaps at him.
- Red Baron: The folk name is essentially this.
- Uncanny Valley: In-Universe. Realistic pokemon are just wrong when youve only seen the cartoons and games. Black has this reaction when he first sees himself and Celebi.
- Xenofiction: A world of only pokemon. The story's main key distinctive trait from similar stories of similar nature and themes in the Pokemon fandom is that there's not and there has never been anything tied to humanity apart from the protagonist.