Aura-less Black and White is an Alternate Universe Fic of Ash's story in Unova, complete with Aura to top off the cake, except for one tiny twist to Ash's story. It shapes Ash's life and his relationship with his friends.
It nearly gets him killed, and helps him be the hero he is.
Ash doesn't have aura.
Aura's physics and its capabilities are explored in this story, along with differences and prejudices that come with having no aura for Ash. It explores Ash's experiences in a world where he's almost completely powerless without his Pokemon(he gets much better), and how it translates to his battling.
Aura works like this. Everyone's got Aura and rely on it to live(Ash and Liberty excluded, they both had their aura taken from them when they were children, therefore preventing them from becoming dependent on aura.) There are many levels of aura capacity, from low, medium, high, and extremely high. Depending on how high your aura capacity is, you have a certain amount of aura capabilities, like speeding yourself up, creating aerial platforms, and much, much, more.
However, if you absorb more aura than your Aura Capacity can take, or you use up all your Aura, you can die.
Pokemon use aura to power up their attacks. However, when aura attacks and regular attacks meet, they negate each other, creating a huge burst of air, which Ash frequently uses to his advantage.
This Story Provides examples of:
- Adorkable: Ash Ketchum. Absolutely no sense of direction, has a huge appetite, and is the sweetest kid in all of Kanto.
- All of the Other Reindeer: To put it kindly, Ash got pushed around a ton in Pallet Town as a kid, culminating with his own near death by Gary slashing him with an aura-infused hand
- Big Eater: Ash. He's bad enough that Ash made Cilan cry with the restaurant bill.
- Chaste Hero: One word: Ash. You know what he does with the aura equivalent of a love confession note ? He simply ask his mom to store them in a room, labeling and exhibiting them like museum pieces. Yup, it's bad enough that even Pikachu sighed in exasperation, and he's practically an Ash expy in this story, this notwithstanding.
- Chick Magnet: Oh Boy. Ash has this blasted all the way to completely impossible levels. Guess what. He's gotten an entire roomful's worth of the aura equivalent of a love confession.
- Expy: Liberty. Has no aura? Check. Incredibly dense when it comes to what he's done? Check. Just as childish as Ash? Check, Check, and Check!!!
- Everyone is a Super: Everyone has aura in the world, except Ash and Liberty.
- Evil Plan: The Lower Class of Aura tried to kill all people with an aura level above low in Accumula Town by triggering a massive aura overload with aspirin pills filled with liquidized aura.
- How Much More Can He Take?: Pretty much Ash's entire childhood. To date, he's been 1. Nearly Killed. 2. Beaten by a deranged woman with a cane. 3. About an inch away from having his spine snapped. 4. Nearly blown up from the inside by Gary's aura and his blood(his blood and aura act like aura/regular attacks when put together. They let out a small explosion) 5. Zapped by a lightning bolt Arceus knows how many times. All of this when he was just 6. Just How Much Can He Take!!
- Jerk Jock: How in Arceus did Gary Oak act like a murderous drug gang member at 6!?!
- He managed to pass through a freaking aura shield, just because he has no Aura!!
- To clarify, that shield only works if he has aura. The shield uses your aura, dormant or not, and fires it back at whoever touches it.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: The Civilian. Destroyer of Galactic, Magma, Aqua, defeater of the infamous Hunter J, destroyer of the deranged Aura Taker, and a legend among Pokemon Rangers. Otherwise known as Ash Ketchum
- Tsundere: One word: Iris. She somehow managed to scream in her sleep that there was no way she liked Ash.