While visiting the earth pony town of Promise, the Great and Powerful Trixie is coerced into searching for a missing foal against her own better judgment. But things are not as straightforward as they first appear. When push comes to shove, what kind of pony is Trixie at heart?
A Great and Powerful Heart is a My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic fanfic by Deep Pond. Deep Pond would eventually give his permission for the characters and events to be used in RHJunior's fanfic The Great Alicorn Hunt.
- Adult Fear: This story is made of it, since it is set in a town full of racial bigots.
- Trixie is harassed and targeted by a racist police force, who give her a choice between being locked up indefinitely or paying an outrageous fine.
- Jasper spent his young life being bullied and abused by his peers for being a racial outcast, and was virtually left to die by the authorities who were supposed to care for him.
- Derpy has to deal her child going missing ending up in a forest full of dangerous creatures, and the law enforcement refusing to help her out of sheer bigotry.
- Anti-Hero/Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Trixie, who is just as boastful and egotistical as canon and initially only searched for the foals out of a plea bargain. But she proves herself willing to risk her life and enter a dangerous forest to rescue two foals she doesn't know, to help a poor grieving mother.
- Big Bad: Sheriff Brass.
- Big Damn Heroes: Derpy pulls this twice on Trixie, saving her skin from a carnivorous eel and from a dangerous sea serpent.Derpy: Derpy Delivery!
- Character Development: Trixie starts out as self-centered, only doing the right thing out of obligation, and preferring solitude. But over the course of the story, she grows to be concerned for others and becomes content to care for the orphaned Jasper.
- Corrupt Hick: The community of Promise all of them being members of an Earth Pony supremacist organization, but Sheriff Brass takes the cake.
- Cool Loser: Jasper is hated by his entire hometown, but is a very brave and resourceful young colt. Justified since Promise is a town founded by Earth pony bigots who hate non-Earth ponies, and Jasper was born a unicorn .
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Derpy is as ditzy as usual, to Trixie's chagrin, but saves Trixie's life twice, the second time with her wing injured and bleeding.
- Cruel Mercy: Trixie, with all her showmare bombast, vocally threatens all of Promise for their behavior, but then declares them "not worth it". In The Great Alicorn Hunt, this ends up backfiring since it motivates Sheriff Brass to arrest Trixie, fearing she'll expose the kind of pony he is.
- Dirty Cop: Sheriff Brass.
- Earn Your Happy Ending:
- Jasper endures racism, neglect and near death before he can finally leave his horrible town for good with Trixie.
- The Great Alicorn Hunt takes this Up to Eleven: Trixie and Jasper are hounded by Sheriff Brass and his associates for a year, becoming fugitives and fearing arrest. But eventually, they end up ascending to alicornhood, are rescued by an ascended Sunset Shimmer, and get Sheriff Brass and his deputies thrown in jail for their crimes.
- Fantastic Racism: The residents of Promise are members of Filli Terram, an Earth Pony extremist group. They harass Trixie for being a unicorn, and chose not to lift a hoof to rescue Dinky and Jasper for being unicorns born of non-unicorns.
- Felony Misdemeanor: Trixie ends jailed and heavily fined over a simple paper work error and letting foals too near her cart. Justified as Sheriff Brass is an anti-unicorn supremacist who had it in for her, and was also trying to recruit her into an unwanted task.
- Fire-Forged Friends: Trixie and Derpy, and Jasper and Dinky become this having had to survive in the woods.
- Happily Adopted: Jasper at the end by Trixie.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Trixie lures the evil serpent away from Jasper and Derpy, knowing she'll die in the process. Subverted, however, when Derpy swoops in at the last moment to save her bacon.
- I'm Taking Him Home With Me: Trixie does this to Jasper.
- Karma Houdini: Aside from an angry speech from Trixie, Brass and the rest of Promise get away with their racism and letting two foals die. Subverted in The Great Alicorn Hunt where Brass and his associates in Filli Terram are exposed by the newly ascended Princess Trixie and Prince Jasper, after chasing them for a year, and Promise is forced under Celestia's jurisdiction until it can reform itself.
- Kick the Dog: Sheriff Brass is already an asshole for refusing to help Derpy find Dinky, but the cherry on top is calling poor Derpy irresponsible and blaming her (an upset mother) for the disappearance.
- The Lost Woods: Dusky Dale. When a foal gets lost in there, odds are they are as good as dead.
- Mama Bear: Derpy is willing to enter a dangerous wood to rescue her daughter. Trixie herself becomes fiercely protective of Jasper, even calling out the town of Promise for mistreating and abandoning the poor colt.
- Missing Mom: Jasper's mother died when he was young.
- Noble Demon: Sherif Brass is a crooked and bigoted jerk. But when Trixie completes the work he forced her to do, he does keep his word, lets her off the hook, and even gives her a few bits for her trouble. Subverted in The Great Alicorn Hunt, where he and his deputies proceed to harass and pursue her and Jasper for a whole year; this comes back to bite him hard.
- Playing with Fire: Jasper's specialty is in fire magic. Unfortunately, his flame is too weak to use against timberwolves, but Trixie creates an illusion of a large flare to scare them off.
- Recursive Fanfiction: The Great Alicorn Hunt is partially this. While it's mostly a standalone story, it eventually incorporates the events of this story into its narrative, showing that Trixie and Jasper spent a year on the run from Sheriff Brass and the Terra Fillam, before accidentally ascending to alicorns, after which the Princesses found them and helped them arrest the Filli Terram.
- Scarily Competent Tracker: Trixie as able to use both magic and simple observation to find the foals. At one point, by finding some of Dinky's hairs, and determine which way it was pulled.
- Snakes Are Sinister: One of the dangerous animals that Derpy and Trixie encounter is a large aquatic serpent that not only comes the closest to eating Dinky and Jasper, but also spends an indefinite amount of time taunting them too as it has them cornered.
- Sustained Misunderstanding/Who's on First?: Derpy refers to "Dinky" as her "muffin", which causes some confusion when she asks Trixie to find her.Derpy I've lost my muffin.
Trixie: Your . . . muffin?
Derpy: My little muffin.
Trixie: Trixie . . . is not sure she understands. You've lost a muffin?
Derpy: Not a muffin! My muffin! My little Dinky!
Trixie: Dinky? . . . Oh. Is that a pony?
- Town with a Dark Secret: Promise is a town run by Filli Terram, an earth pony supremacist hate group.
- Would Hurt a Child:
- Sheriff Brass and the town of Promise were willing to abandon two poor foals to die in a dangerous forest.
- The aquatic serpent was eager to eat the poor foals.
- You Are Better Than You Think You Are: Trixie and Derpy both assure Jasper this. It is clear the poor colt really needed to hear it.