This page is a Troper work written by jlauzon
Together We Tolerate is a fanfiction Shared Universe based on My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, but more specifically on an alternate version of the Brony fandom that grew in a largely oppressive world ruled by The Illuminati. It's a rather dark depiction of hatred and intolerance taken to its logical extreme, and how a peaceful, tolerant fandom that was once hated and driven to near-extinction can become infinitely more powerful than you can ever imagine.
The Bronies were seen as a direct threat to the Illuminati's primary method of control, war and general chaos, such that they were exterminated. Not going out so quietly, the Bronies fought back, at least until they could secure some ships to escape their respective continents on.
Eventually, they did, and formed a migrant fleet, and together formed a loosely-connected nation drawn together by Ideals, not race nor gender. The story's first few chapters focus on these first few, critical years, leading up to something called "The Foundation Incident", in which Dr. Joseph Lauzon, Eng.D. Ph.D., the captain of a Fleet 6 Science Vessel develops a technology called "The Divine Mist" - a highly advanced form of nanotechnology that can turn any element into any other element, and assemble it into almost any object. All it needs is raw Protons, Neutrons, and Electrons. He formulates a plan to create a home for the Bronies - a "United Equestria".
Long story short, after 3 days of development and negotiation, all the fleets converge onto a single spot: an empty space of water in the North Atlantic Ocean. The Illuminati notices the impossible coincidence of all the fleets gathered together, and jumps on this opportunity to erase the Brony 'threat' once and for all. Brony anti-ship defenses are sparse, and concentrated into a single collective "Heavy Fleet", with lighter ships like transport barges, Amphibious Assault Craft, Hovercraft, and the like grouped into the "Patrol Fleet". Civilian Ships are their own category, and protected by the two Combat Fleets.
The prototype submarines the Bronies stole during their Exodus, affectionately dubbed 'Seaponies', rout the first Illuminati fleet sent to their location with relative ease, thanks to their LCD skins, sonic baffling and emissions-dampening technology.
Unbeknownst to the Bronies, but knownst to us, another Illuminati fleet has arrived with the express purpose of flanking the Civvie fleet. The Bronies aren't prepared for this event, and it seems all hope is lost...
Until, that is, a ship commanded by a whole group of anti-pirate Dreadlock Rastas, called the RSS Marley, rises out of the water and lays the beatdown on the Illuminati fleet, though not without the captain delivering a memorable (and stereo-typically Jamaican) Pre-Asskicking One-Liner.
This fanfic provides examples of:
- Awesome, but Impractical: Magiframes, the Magitek version of a human mainframe. They're prone to malfunction, and not reliable. They're prohibitively expensive as well.
- Bio-Augmentation: United Equestrians.
- Everyone Is Bi: Most people in United Equestria. And good god, they love it.
- Foe Yay: In-Universe regarding Dr. L and Reichman. In fact, this starts the Discordian Inquisition, with Reichman losing his mind after the good Doctor rejects him, then takes his fury out on the rest of the fandom, leading directly to the deaths of millions of bronies the world over, and ultimately to the Exodus.
- Free-Love Future: Again, in United Equestria. To quote Word of God, "The Minister of Science and the Minister of Trade are going steady, while the Minister of Finance and the Minister of Law are recovering from a particularly nasty divorce. This is just how they all roll."
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: Reichman.
- Nanotechnology: United Equestria's Raison d'être. Their bodies are reinforced and constantly healed by nanites. This technology jump-started every other field of their sciences as well. Of course, this technology is carefully guarded and kept from Illuminati Forces, but often deployed in Free States or to assist UE's allies.
- Powered Armor: United Equestria uses them extensively. The NSSR has them too, albeit to a lesser extent.
- Putting on the Reich: The Illuminati forces, especially post-Foundation.
- Shout-Out: Oh so, so many. Most are to the show, some others to the Brony Fandom itself, and some are to some major fanworks.
- In one chapter of Equestrian Dawn, Dr. Lauzon compares The Illuminati to Discord. Specifically relating how they both cause chaos to maintain control.
- The chapter titles themselves are references to Command & Conquer. Except for Equestrian Vengeance.
- Soviet Superscience: The New Soviet Socialist Republic or NSSR is essentially what you get when you cross Red Alert's Soviets with The New Russia and add in a bit of Illuminati Mind Control technology.