Following the death of his older brother and his friend three years before, Ronald Blackard suddenly finds himself trapped in a world in the middle of a war. Meeting other stranded individuals, he makes his way around the land, gaining friends, enemies, and something that he thought lost long ago.
The trilogy consists of:
1. Red Sky at Night
2. Beyond the Lavender Valley
- Action Girl: Pretty much all of them by the start except for Glass, who becomes this by the end.
- Aerith and Bob: The Earthers mostly have normal names, odd ones out including Callista and Valentine. Zreamers on the other hand have names like Memory, Kite, and Glass.
- Anyone Can Die: After Ron dies, the rest of the Earthers start dropping like flies.
- Badass Family: The Blackards and the Marsdens.
- Bash Brothers: Roman and Jonny, Jay and Cal.
- Beta Couple: Cal and Avery.
- Bittersweet Ending: Red Sky at Night ends with all the Earthers dead. In Zream, that is. In reality, they've been sent back to their bodies on Earth. Downside? They're all suffering from Trauma-Induced Amnesia.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Seth. He's a Cloudcuckoolander who has No Sense of Direction and is borderline Keet, but when his loved ones are threatened, he becomes a lethal killing machine.
- Deadpan Snarker: Vince, in response to Jay and Cal's antics, and Stuart, to Jonny and Roman's.
- Despair Event Horizon: Jay after Vince is killed.
- Doing Research: Vince always has a book about Zream with him.
- Early-Bird Cameo:Allie appears in the first chapter and appears again in the last book in a bigger role.
- Fiery Redhead: Lia is this, in spades. Allie is more of the cheery type. Averted with Stuart and Kite.
- The First Cut Is the Deepest: Averted with Emily. For her, it was her second, Galen.
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: The Andersen, California Earthers - Cal is Choleric, Jay is Sanguine, Vince is Melancholic, and Avery is Phlegmatic.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Jonny and Roman, though Roman is homosexual.
- Last Kiss: Between Stuart and Holly seconds before Stuart dies.
- Loads and Loads of Characters
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Cal. The only person who calls her Cally or Callista is Jay, and he only does it to irritate her.
- Also Lia, who flies into a rage whenever someone refers to her as Amelia.
- Refusal of the Call: Almost all of the Earthers refuse to get involved in the conflict, and just want to get home.
- Taking You with Me: Holly and Jay.
- Tomboyish Name: Cal's full name is Callista.
- Trauma-Induced Amnesia
- Badass Family: The Burkes.
- Bash Brothers: Stuart and Riley.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: Sky wanted to know about the place she came from so badly, her brother shot himself in the head, knowing he would be sent to Zream instead of dying. She handles it badly.
- Early-Bird Cameo: Sky, Stuart's sister, is mentioned in passing in an early chapter of Red Sky at Night before becoming one of the main characters in Beyond the Lavender Valley.
- Let's Get Dangerous!: When he and his friends are attacked, Stuart shows off the skills he learned during his time at Zream.
- Plucky Comic Relief: Stuart
- Stunned Silence: Stuart's friends when they find out he shot himself in the head to get to Zream.
- Unstoppable Rage: Sky and Stuart when they think their sister Sarah has been killed.
- Back for the Finale
- Badass Normal: Cass, Allie and Ron have no powers, yet are considered in the same league as their super-powered friends.
- Battle Couple: Lots. Stuart/Holly, Cal/Avery, Len/Lia, and Roman/Seth to name a few.
- Elemental Powers: The Earthers who spent over six months in Zream get these due to prolonged exposure.
- First Girl Wins: Emily ends up with David, who was her best friend back when they lived in the same apartment when they were toddlers. Somewhat subverted in that they didn't realize they were friends before meeting at Zream until months into their relationship.
- Like Brother and Sister: Cal and Jay, despite what their classmates think.
- Second Love: Cassandra ultimately falls for Allie after letting her feelings for Cal fade.