The Thiuda Series spans a few decades on the continent of Voronya. It follows multiple characters from all corners of the world as a long brewing war breaks out.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: Between Emilie and Grimoald. The first book has both of them constantly making the others life harder.
- Royal Inbreeding: The Hohenzollern family often has cousins marrying and it happens again, albeit accidentally during the series. As Leonore marries Emory who is the grandson of her grandfather.
- Ruling Couple: Leonore and Emory.
Emilie Fuchs/von WildensteinThe main protagonist over the first book. A spirited young barkeeper dragged into an adventure bigger than herself.
- Break the Cutie: Her backstory is this, having lost her husband a mere three years after marriage led her to try and commit suicide and finally flee her homecity to live in isolation.
- Despair Event Horizon: Crossed it after Alberts death.
- Friend to All Living Things: She gets along very well with most animals.
- Scars Are Forever: Has some on her wrists form her attempted suicide.
Grimoald KarolingerA grim captain of the guard in Bruchwald.
- The Ace: A terrific Swordmaster.
- Break the Cutie: Is this even before the events of the frist book, having gotten a large scar over one of his eyes during a fight with another guard, being degraded and then exiled to one of the most remote villages in Thiuda. It gets worse. Over the course of the story he gets dragged into commiting treason, loses his wife, is forced by a cobold to conceive a child, hides away, has to sell himself to make ends meet, leading him to have more children, gets dragged into a war... The poor man can't seem to catch a break.
- Broken Ace: He is this after all that's happened to him. He gets better by the first half of the third book though.
- Child Hater: Downplayed and Justified. He doesn't really hate children. It's just that he never wanted any and now has nearly half a dozen, some who hate him.
- Despair Event Horizon: Crossed it after Emilies death.
- Dull Eyes of Unhappiness: His icy blue eyes are said to have been considerably dulled after years of hardship.
- Expository Hairstyle Change: When we meet him again in the third book his bright red hair has greyed to signify his outer and inner aging.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy: Oh so much. His flowing red hair is much commented on.
- Married to the Job: When he's not working or sleeping he's training.
- Prematurely Grey-Haired: While not that premature, he is somewhere around 40 when we meet him again, he already had some white strands when he was still with Emilie. She of course loved teasing him about it.
- The Quiet One
- Red Oni,Blue Oni: The blue to Emilies red and again to Emory. Even though both E Milie and E Mory are the blue to someone else.
- Scars Are Forever: Still has the scar from his fight with Leonore.
- The Woobie: Between having been scared, raped, forced to conceive mutliple children, sell himself, losing the love of his life he is this.
Emory Unruh/UhlenSon of the second most powerful man in Thiuda and twin brother of Ellery.
- Amazon Chaser: Emory eventually falls for Leonore who is captain of the royal guard and one of the most accomplished
- Beware of the Nice Ones: Emory is one of the most even-tempered people you will ever meet, but is quite capable of exuding power if he wants to.
- Big Guy: Quite tall.
- The Caretaker: He keeps his brother out of trouble and is this also to the poor kids in his home town.
- Friend to All Children: Emory loves children
- Nice Guy: Emory is nice, considerate and calm.
- Mate or Die: Is forced into this together with Grimoald.
- Mellow Fellow: Emory is very easy-going.
- Red Oni,Blue Oni: The blue to his brothers red and later the red to Grimoalds blue and later again the blue to his wifes red.
- Understanding Boyfriend: He is this to a fault, staying good friends with Emilie despite her not reciprocating his feelings.
- Undying Loyalty: To Emilie and later to her widowed husband Grimoald and his own wife Leonore.
Leonore von HohenzollernThe firstborn daugther of the king and captain of the royal guard.
- Big Brother Instinct: Genderflipped Towards her sister Amalie.
- Pretty Princess Powerhouse: Leonore is one of the most accomplished fighters in all of Thiuda.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: Leonore is the firstborn daugther of the king and also captain of the royal guard.
TobielA prisoner of the king.
- Elective Mute: Never a big talker to begin with, due to his deafness, he doesn't talk at all after the years of imprisonement.
- The Unintelligible: When he does talk, Tobiel is very hard to understand due to not hearing himself in the first place.