After the massive success of Avatar and the Airbending Fellowship of Vampire Slayers, TVn realized it had a winning formula on its hands. Ratings, praise, critical acclaim and unthinking, sheep-like acclaim had been heaped on the show, and it was one review that really got the network heads thinking.
The review: "Only a total jerk wouldn't love AATAFOVS!"
The thought: "We should expand into the demographic of total jerks."
Thus, The Punisher's Song Of Evangelion And I Must Scream was conceived. The character of Johnny W. Punisher was introduced in a late third season episode of AATAFOVS, but as the episode was written by that show's team, it turned out to be somewhat...misleading. A light-hearted wild west adventure with a Catholicism-themed supervillain and JWP as a Anti-Hero bounty-hunter, tearing through hoards of robots and averting any human casualties. The ratings for the episode were stellar, even for AATAFOVS, leading to the final go-ahead for TPSOEAIMS...but the series' writers were horrified at the misrepresentation, the "dumbing-down", of their brilliant vision, their uncompromising idea of the ubermensch they believed they were to bring to life in Johnny.
So in the first few minutes of the show, Johnny ripped a man apart with his bare hands as he screamed his outrage against the idea of organized religion, social decency, and petting dogs, just to make sure no one got the wrong idea. And then used the man's chest cavity as a bidet.
The series has been going on in that vein since. Some tune in for the dark deconstruction of the human psyche. Some tune in for the action setpieces and copious amounts of bloodshed. Many, many turn in to watch "Baronessy"'s ongoing attempt to out-boob Cleo. And still more tune in because, like some horrible accident where a train full of medical supplies collides with a car-carrying trailer-truck after the tracks have been greased with nitroglycerin - an incident rumored to be featured in an upcoming episode - they just can't look away from the carnage and mayhem...
So far, TPSOEAIMS has not become the wildly successful multimedia juggernaut that AATAFOVS is. The (only?) spinoff in another medium has been a hentai manga called The Punisher's Love Song of Tentacles And I Must Scream, which was denounced as morally reprehensible by the creator of Rape Man and is banned in most of the world, including Antarctica.
A newer AATAFOVS spinoff has been somewhat less controversial: My Little Rainbow Princess Pretty Moon Shortcake. It's the antithesis of TPSOEAIMS, to the point where viewers of one have been known to commit suicide upon watching an episode of the other. Crossovers are expected in the distant future.
- Edger And Darkier
- Wangst For The Memories
- The Squick And The Dead
- The Fountaindead
- Refrigerator The Temporary Love Interest Chronicles
- Strangled by the Red Noose
- I've Been Working on Character Derail-Road
- The Raped Crusader
- Even Rodents Flee A Ship Sinking
- Continuity Gorn
- Knight Mares Fool
- Where In The Hell Is Kiramen Sanfrancisco
- Get It On Bang A Wall
- Na Na Ho Yay Kiss Him Goodbye
- Laughing Out Lolicon (Missing Episode)
- Heel Face Chemical Burn
- Hell Hath No Woman Like A Furry Scorned
- Johnny Get Your Strawman
- Carrying A Candle Jack
- Crucified Upon A Crossover Of Gold (Part 2 of crossover with My Little Rainbow Princess Pretty Moon Shortcake)
- Guy Nexts Ending
- Bakemono No Naku Koro Ni (arcs "Sabishii", "Onischmonishi", and "Mitsubishi")
- Viewers Are Psycho Sadists From Hell
- The Aryan Nights
- Elfen Song (Season Finale, and The Musical)
- Symbolic Shinigami In Hell
- Older Than You Look
- What Do You Mean Its Sequelitis
- Evil Crystal Jesus Is My Boyfriend (the Trope Namer)
- Doctor Jonas Quinn Medicine Man
- Brain Bleach Blanket Bingo
- Beyond Good And Evil Fanwars
- Ho Yay Angels From The Moon
- Space Catholics
- Family Freud With Our Host Richard Dawson
- I Love My Clone Sister
- Crowning Monster Of The Week And Your Little Dog Too
- My Jaw Fell On The Floor And I Must Scream}}
- Beyond Fander Dumb (eventually becomes the FanDumb's HQ)
- Doctor PhD in Philosophical Violence
- Defeat Means You Suck
- Heroic BDSM (complete with yellow bondage gear)
- Improbable Maiming Skills
- Blood Blood Blood Blood Blood Blood Blood Blood Blood Blood Blood Blood Blood Blood Blood Blood Blood Blood Blood Blood Blood Blood Blood
- One Winged Angle
- Those Wacky ROT Cs
- Bridge Falls Everyone Dies (movie)