The trilogy focuses on two individuals: Akane Orikasa, who is chosen by a mysterious woman in white in order to stop a global catastrophe from happening, and Weisser Drache, an empowered man with a Dark and Troubled Past and wishes to exact vengeance against the world.
(Note: This is a work in progress, and so, many of these tropes are subject to change along the way. Please be patient.)
Provides Examples Of:
- Body Motifs: Eyes, them being windows to the soul, and tying to the whole "truth" motif of the story.
- Calling Your Attacks: Deconstructed with Weisser and Irvine: they will attack the protagonists as they call out their attacks.
- Color-Coded Characters: "Adams" and "Eves" all have Glowing Eyes with respective colors.
- Cool Boat: The Avalon, which serves as the I.D.C. mobile station.
- Cool Helicopter: Carmen's standard-issue Comanche helicopter.
- Deconstructor Fleet
- Elemental Powers: Both played straight and subverted.
- Fighting Trilogy
- Glowing Eyes
- Government Agency of Fiction: I.D.C., full name Internationalis Defensio Cogere.
- Gratuitous Foreign Language: Appears in the work every now and then.
- Homage / Shout-Out / Reference Overdosed: Towards science fiction anime, mostly.
- Magitek: In heavy use throughout the trilogy.
- Multinational Team / Equal-Opportunity Evil: For the heroes and villains, respectively.
- Politically Incorrect Hero: ''BLUE_EYES has Corporal Rex Russell, who is sexist beyond reason, and also serves as a Politically Incorrect Villain, given the story.
- World of Action Girls: Justified, as the Genesis Gene resides in the X-chromosome, so Eves outnumber Adams by a huge margin. The few known Adams so far are all artificially-created.
Character Tropes (SPOILERS!)
Akane Orikasa (Call Sign: Rose Viviane)An Office Lady with Psychic Powers, Akane just wanted to become an Idol Singer. However, as she was on her way to an audition, she is attacked by an ice assassin - only to be saved in the nick of time by Rachelle and Sayaka.
Her rescue leads to Akane being recruited by the Internationalis Defensio Cogere, or the I.D.C., a group of empowered individuals sworn to protect the world from harm.
- All-Loving Heroine: Why Maki chose her to carry the Caritas mark. Her kindness does have limits, as the Corporal would find out.
- Aura Vision: Allows her to determine the state of mind of a character: pink means okay, red means depressed, and black means the character crossed the Moral Event Horizon. She also uses it to fight cloaked characters like Fujin.
- Beam Spam: In her "Awakened" state.
- Berserk Button: Never mispronounce her name, as Sokolov finds out. Played for Laughs.
- The Chosen One: Chosen by Maki to defeat Weisser Drache and save the world.
- The Unchosen One: She becomes this after her best friends get killed during the Kyoto hostage crisis perpetrated by Weisser.
- Everything's Better with Sparkles: Her spells are of a "stardust" motif.
- Idol Singer: Dreams to become one, until circumstances got in the way. Then she becomes a Magic Idol Singer instead.
- Living Battery: Weisser intends to turn her into this for the Starlight Breaker.
- Living Lie Detector: One of the abilities granted to her by the Caritas mark,it allows her insight to people's feelings. This ability proves useful to find out Weisser Drache's motives behind his actions.
- Magical Girl: A sendup to this trope.
- Mind over Matter: Has telekinesis, albeit limited only to small items. She gradually learns to use it in other ways, such as throwing an entire battle robot in the air.
- Meta Girl: Tends to see her world in terms of Anime Tropes.
- My Greatest Failure: Her desire to help others stems from losing her best friend, Sayuri, from a bullying-induced suicide.
- Naïve Everygirl: Though a surprisingly observant one at that.
- Nice Girl
- Pink Means Feminine: Most of her spells emit pink light and glitters.
- The Power of Love
- Red Is Heroic: Her standard outfit, which was originally her idol costume, is predominantly red.
- Shoryuken: Stardust Riser, where she takes off the ground and spins in the air. It's surprisingly effective.
- Signature Move: Stardust Shoot, which is a sparkly pink sphere of light.
- Teleportation: Stella-Port, where she vanishes and reappears a short distance away with a flash of pink light.
Weisser Drache / Stephan LeblancWeisser is the CEO of WEISS-Corp, and his plan is to capture Akane. It is eventually revealed that he intended to do this to use her as a Living Battery to power up his Kill Sat, the Starlight Breaker, and blow up the planet - himself included.
- Adjusting Your Glasses: Type 3. The fact that he never takes his eyeglasses off even in battle foreshadows a crucial weakness the heroines can exploit against him.
- Artificial Human
- Badass Bookworm: Implied; he has shelves upon shelves of books and manga both in his office and at home. His personal favorite appears to be Mai, the Psychic Girl.
- Berserk Button: He has a few.
- Police officers. Being framed for Maki's death made him distrust the law enforcement that much.
- Americans. Maki was killed by one, and the same killer framed Weisser for the crime.
- Best Served Cold: He's been planning his act of vengeance for almost eight years.
- Blind Without 'Em: Without his glasses, he can't see very far. It's a key to his defeat in ''BLUE_EYES''.
- Brooding Boy, Gentle Girl: The brooding boy to both Maki and Yuna's gentle girls.
- Book One Final Boss. Subverted.
- Calling Your Attacks: Played with. He punishes opponents who call out their attacks by attacking them as they are just to call out their attacks. He himself calls and performs his attacks at the same time, defying the inherent weakness of this trope.
- Celibate Hero: He chooses not to be engaged in any romance. Maki's death plays a huge part in it.
- Clear My Name: Weisser Drache's innocence over a crime committed eight years ago is the major plot point.
- Combat Pragmatist: As noted above, he will exploit the inherent flaw of the Calling Your Attacks trope by attacking his opponents mid-chant. With his Flash Step, doing so is easy.
- Dark and Troubled Past
- Death Seeker / Driven to Suicide: His entire motivation, after losing his will to live following Maki's death.
- Despair Event Horizon: Thrice.
- Even Evil Has Standards: He doesn't tolerate his lieutenants overstepping their boundaries, especially abusing women. Fujin finds this out the hard way.
- Flash Step: His most used ability, the Photon Accel.
- I Let Gwen Stacy Die: Constantly blames himself for Maki's death.
- Having a Blast: Has the ability to charge small stuff (such as trading cards) into mini-bombs.
- Has a Type: Cute Bookworm girls, of which both Maki and Yuna are.
- Love Makes You Evil: A variant; he commits crimes in pursuit of revenge for what happened to Maki.
- Meta Guy: Shares this honor with Akane, although his observations are more cynical.
- Occidental Otaku: A French guy who loves science fiction and magical girl anime.
- Phenotype Stereotype: Blond, blue-eyed European. Deliberately invoked by the scientists who created him as part of Project NEO-GENESIS.
- Scary Shiny Glasses: Neon blue, thanks to his Glowing Eyes of Doom behind them.
- Signature Move: Has two of them, in fact: Photon Accel, which is his Flash Step move, and Photon Hand, where he stabs the opponent through the stomach with his energy-charged hand.
- That Man Is Dead: He insists that "Stephan Leblanc" is already dead. It's mostly to distance himself from his "father".
- The Stoic
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: Not that his father would really care about his successes, anyway.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds
- Younger Than They Look: Looks 23, but actually just 13. He's a clone of the original, deceased Stephan.
Maki HoshinoWeisser Drache's deceased Love Interest who keeps appearing to Akane, telling her to stop her beloved's plans.
- Anti-Villains Want Redheads
- Brooding Boy, Gentle Girl: The original gentle girl to Weisser's brooding boy, even beyond her death.
- Cute Ghost Girl
- Ethereal White Dress: Wears white when she appears as a ghost.
- Gratuitous Latin: Her spells' names are all in Latin, and all begin with "Sanctus" ("holy" or "sacred").
- Hitodama: Accompanied by two of these.
- Holy Hand Grenade:Her spells are of the holy alignment, befitting her angelic status.
- Innocent Blue Eyes: Goes with her being a nice girl.
- Japanese Christian: Catholic. Justified since both she and Weisser attended the same Catholic school.
- Joshikousei: When she was alive. Complete with the typical blazer and skirt combo seen in many high-school anime.
- Magical Barefooter: When she's in her home plane.
- Magical Girlfriend: Was this to Weisser when she was alive.
- Morality Chain / The Lost Lenore: Serves as this for Weisser Drache.
- Nice Girl
- Signature Move: Sanctus Gladia, which translates to "holy sword". A blade of light erupts from the ground to slash the poor sap that gets touched by it.
- Spirit Advisor: To Akane.
- Amazon Brigade: Six of them. Seven, after Akane becomes an official member.
- Elemental Powers: The initial six follow the traditional four classical elements plus light and darkness.
- Multinational Team: Each of the six come from different countries from the six continents. Rachelle is American, Sayaka is Japanese, Jeanne is French, Gasira is Kenyan, Leah is Australian, and Phoemela is Brazilian. With the inclusion of Akane, the team now has two Japanese members.
- Personality Powers: Their core personalities match their elemental stereotypes.
- Theme Naming: Their individual codenames combine precious stones with names Arthurian Legends.
Sayaka Miyazawa (Call Sign: Emerald Galahad)The first 'Crystal Knight" to be introduced, alongside Rachelle.Her Genesis gene gives her wind powers. She bears the Temperantia mark.
- Archer Archetype. Most evident by her Signature Move.
- Asian and Nerdy: Downplayed; she studies law.
- Blow You Away: Specializes in wind powers.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Her siblings were killed by a group of grey men in exchange for his father's investigation files.
- Flash Step: She uses short bursts of speed to travel faster.
- Fragile Speedster
- Guile Hero: Being both a kunoichi and a law student lends her to this. Hence, she received Temperantia.
- Meganekko: Even in battle, her glasses stay on.
- Ninja Schoolgirl Soon-To-Be Defense Attorney
- School Sport Uniform: The classic "bloomers" style, combined with a Scarf of Asskicking for good measure.
- Signature Move: Aero Arrow.
- The Smart Girl
Rachelle Hannaway (Call Sign: Ruby Percival)One of the six "Crystal Knights" and one of the first two to be revealed alongside Sayaka.
Her Genesis gene manifests as control over flames. She bears the Industria mark.
- A-Cup Angst: Especially when Jeanne is around.
- Badass Biker / Biker Babe
- Boisterous Bruiser
- Brooklyn Rage: She's from Brooklyn. Specifically, her Back Story has her Genesis gene first manifest during an attack by Leblanc Corporation in Brooklyn.
- Bruce Lee Clone: A female example, complete with Funny Bruce Lee Noises. She drops the noises when she gets serious.
- Catchphrase: "I am Rachelle Hannaway, twenty-three years old..."
- Cool Bike
- Dark and Troubled Past: The men in grey killed her adoptive grandfather and took her brother away. The siblings' Genesis Genes are the reason.
- The Determinator: Nothing will stop her from fighting. Hence, she received Industria.
- Eagleland: A mixture of both types, leaning more towards Type 1.
- Hot-Blooded: Befitting a fire user. Downplayed, as she is rather subdued when not fighting.
- Phenotype Stereotype: Averted. She has brown eyes and auburn hair - not your typical "anime American".
- Playing with Fire
- Signature Move: Blazing Bullet, a fireball attack. She can turn this into Blazing Shotgun, which splits into three fireballs.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Pocky.
Jeanne Neumann (Call Sign: Aqua Bedivere)The third "Crystal Knight" to be introduced.
Her Genesis gene gives her mastery over water. She bears the Castitas mark.
- Battle Strip: Zigzagged. She strips down to her gymnastics leotard before a battle, but only when it rains. Justified, as exposing her body to water activates her Healing Factor.
- Big Breast Pride: When she compares herself with Rachelle, much to the latter's chagrin.
- Broken Bird / I Just Want to Be Loved: Underneath her Rich Bitch personality is an utterly broken woman who wishes for affection, which she never had after losing her parents in the Paris Incident.
- Dance Battler: Incorporates ballet and gymnastics in her fighting style.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Her parents were among the victims of the Paris Incident caused by Weisser.
- Doppelgänger Attack: She can create aquatic clones to confuse her enemies.
- Every Proper Lady Should Curtsy: The way she introduces herself to Akane - while inside a moving armored truck, no less!
- French Jerk / Rich Bitch: Pretty much a walking stereotype of a rich French girl. She drops this act when faced with reminders of how her parents died.
- Geo Effects: How her Healing Factor works. If she's in a place that provides a constant supply of water to her exposed skin (such as rainfall or fire sprinklers), she will heal from most injuries.
- Healing Factor: Active only when her body is constantly drenched in water.
- Irony: She's incredibly vain and arrogant, and yet she has the Castitas (Humility) mark.
- Leotard of Power: Comes with being a gymnast.
- Making a Splash
- Noblewoman's Laugh / Signature Laugh: Luvia would be proud.
- The Ojou
- Ojou Ringlets: As part of her "rich girl" getup.
- Phenotype Stereotype: A Frenchwoman with blue eyes and blond hair.
- Shameless Fanservice Girl: Isn't afraid to walk around the Avalon in just her gymnastics leotard and shoes. She does this usually to make Rachelle jealous.
- She's Got Legs: Courtesy of fighting in a leotard.
- Skewed Priorities: When she gets grazed on her arm by a beam shot from an Eliminator mook, the first thing she complains about is her leotard's sleeve getting torn open.
- Trauma Button: Blue lightning. They remind her of the Paris Incident.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Rachelle
- Waif-Fu: Her fighting style is a modified version of rhythmic gymnastics.
- Water Is Blue
Gasira Bakhita (Call Sign: Topaz Yvaine)The fourth Crystal Knight revealed, Gasira is the friendliest of the six.
Her Genesis gene allows her to use light-based projectiles. She bears the Humanitas mark.
- Bald Women
- Dance Battler: Her fighting style is Capoeira.
- Extremity Extremist: Uses mostly kicks, even when casting her spells.
- Let's Get Dangerous!: Downplayed. When situations become more serious, so does she, but her cheerfulness never truly disappears.
- Light 'em Up
- Nice Girl: The nicest of the six Agents.
- Statuesque Stunner: The tallest among the Agents, at six feet.
Leah Evans (Call Sign: Citrine Agravain)The fifth Crystal Knight introduced.
- Badass in a Nice Suit: Befitting her "special agent" aesthetic.
- Barrier Warrior: Many of her more earth-based abilities take the form of this.
- Consummate Professional: She will complete her mission, whatever it takes.
- Dishing Out Dirt
- Extremity Extremist: She's a boxer.
- Good Is Not Nice: She is a kind person, but she won't hesitate to throw F-Bombs when someone seriously fucks up.
- Land Down Under: She's Australian. She doesn't show any stereotypes, however, being the stoic kind of character.
- Lightning Bruiser: Fast and strong.
- Megaton Punch: Her specialty as a boxing practitioner.
- Peek-a-Bangs: Her right eye is always covered. What happened to her eye has something to do with her backstory.
- Scars Are Forever: What happened to her right eye.
- Signature Move: Gaia Drill, which combines This Is a Drill and Megaton Punch.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: Being Australian, she's no stranger to swearing.
- Stern Teacher: Towards Akane.
- The Stoic
Pamela Lopes (Call Sign: Amethyst Pellinore)The sixth Crystal Knight revealed.
Her Genesis gene grants her control over her own shadow. She bears the Patientia mark.
- Brazil: Her country of origin. To be precise, she was a member of the drug-fighting police forces. What happened to her squad, courtesy of Irvine Dominguez, was what led her to quit the force.
- Casting a Shadow: Her spells involve using her shadow as a weapon.
- Confusion Fu: Combines the dance-like moves of pencak silat with the sneaky tactics she could use with her shadow powers makes her an unpredictable fighter on the field.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Her entire squad was ambushed by the men in grey and transformed into zombies by the "hostage" they were meant to rescue.
- Dark Is Not Evil: She fights with shadows, but is completely on the side of the protagonists.
- Drowning My Sorrows: Frequently does this, which puts her at odds with Leah.
- Shadow Walker: She can travel through her shadow. It's even named as such (Shadow Walk).
- Tomboyish Ponytail
Internationalis Defensio Cogere (I.D.C.) East-Asia 3rd Fleet
Yuriy Sokolov (Call Sign: Isolde One)One of the two special agents who accompany the Crystal Knights during their missions, alongside Johnny Crowe.
- Affectionate Nickname: Calls Akane "Acchan", much to her annoyance.
- Animal Theme Naming: Sokolov means "falcon", which goes along with his partner's surname also being based on a bird.
- Arch-Enemy: He has one in the form of Fujin/Fiona, who killed his sister in Budapest two years prior.
- Badass Normal: Sokolov is not an Adam, but he can still kick ass with his marksmanship and his Karate skills.
- Big Brother Instinct: He's incredibly protective of Akane. He feels responsible for his sister's death, so he does his best to protect the main character in order to not lose someone important to him again.
- Catchphrase / Foreign Cuss Word: "Suka blyat!" At least once per scene he is in.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: He might crack jokes often and make a lot of video game references, but Sokolov still trained under the Ukrainian Spetsnaz, so he's not to be underestimated.
- Gadgeteer Genius: He develops his own battle gadgets, which allow him to fight well alongside the Crystal Knights.
- Let's Get Dangerous!: Drops most of his goofy persona when the fight gets serious. Especially when Fujin is around.
- Meta Guy: Comes with being a colossal video game nerd.
- OOC Is Serious Business: When he goes First-Name Basis towards Akane, then it means he's ready to kick some serious ass. And when he completely drops his comic act, you bet he will destroy his enemy.
- Plucky Comic Relief: Even calls himself as such.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Red to Crowe's blue.
- Sad Clown: His jokester demeanor and constant referencing of video games masks his hurting over losing his sister.
- Speaks in Shout-Outs: Makes constant references to video games, especially first-person shooters, stealth, andaction games. He even carries weapons that are references to the games he plays.
- Straight Man and Wise Guy: The Wise Guy to Crowe's Straight Man.
- Those Two Guys: With Crowe.
- Weapon of Choice: Two of them: a crowbar ("...just like Gordon Freeman.") and an air taser ("...just like Gabe Logan.").
Johnny Crowe (Call Sign: Isolde Two)One of the two special agents who accompany the Crystal Knights during their missions, alongside Yuriy Sokolov. He serves as the team's Mission Control through their armored battle truck, the Prydwen.
- Animal Theme Naming: Crowe is an alternate spelling of "crow", based on the bird of the same name. Goes well with Sokolov's name meaning "falcon".
- Badass Normal: Just like Sokolov, except he uses Judo.
- Canada, Eh?: Subverted big time, if his snarky attitude is any indication.
- The Comically Serious: He comments on the absurdity of situations like they're everyday occurence.
- Deadpan Snarker: Veers into Danger Deadpan during missions. Constantly lampshaded by Akane's narrations.
- Insufferable Genius: On his worst days. Lampshaded by Sokolov, who directly compares him to Sheldon Cooper, one of the most well-known jerkass geniuses from pop culture.
- Mission Control: Alternates this role with Capt. Santana, depending on if his truck or her helicopter is nearer the scene of action.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Blue to Sokolov's red.
- Smart People Wear Glasses: Never seen without any form of eyewear. The data goggles he puts on during his stints as Mission Control invoke this further.
- Speaks in Shout-Outs: Leaning towards movies and TV series, usually Science Fiction.
- Straight Man and Wise Guy: The straight man to Sokolov's wise guy.
- Those Two Guys: With Sokolov.
- Voice with an Internet Connection: Serves as the immediate form of this on the battlefield.
- Vocal Dissonance: He speeks in a deep baritone despite his youthful appearance. For best results, read his lines like Cr1TiKaL.
Gerard "Rex" Russell (Call Sign: Obsidian Mordred)Corporal and top marksman of the I.D.C. He has a major disdain for women as well as those with the Genesis Gene, yet circumstances has him ally with the Crystal Knights nonetheless.
- An Arm and a Leg: Loses his right arm in his encounter with Hyojin in Kyoto.
- Arch-Enemy: Of Weisser Drache.
- Arm Cannon: Gains this after losing his right arm.
- Armor Is Useless: A firm believer of this, as he sees armor to be cowardly. At least, before his encounter with Hyojin. Then, each subsequent mission has him equip his Powered Armor.
- Badass Normal: Only has his skills with guns and combatives to help him out, and sure they help him out - if his gigantic ego is not on the way.
- Eagle Land: Type 2.
- Everyone Calls Him "Barkeep": He's more often known as "the Corporal", even by the third-person narrator. Justified, as he ''insists'' on being called such.
- Fantastic Racism: Doesn't like Adams and Eves. His motivation is to make sure he would be acknowledged as better than the rest of the team. This, alongside his more realistic prejudice against women.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: Has a nasty scar over his right eye. It doesn't affect his vision in the slightest.
- Green-Eyed Monster: His relationship with the Crystal Knights in a nutshell. Also the reason for attempting to kill Stephan/Weisser eight years prior, only to be foiled by Maki at the cost of her life.
- Gun Nut: Boy, he does love his guns too much.
- He-Man Woman Hater: Only threats of being court-martialed would stop this guy from acting this out towards his female higher-ups.
- Hollywood Action Hero: Deliberately styled after such, even though his personality is a negative take of this trope.
- Improbable Aiming Skills: Or so he claims to be. His Fatal Flaw is that he prefers to never fire until he's sure that his shot will hit and kill its target.
- Jerkass: The biggest jerk among the cast.
- Meaningful Name: "Rex" means "king", befitting his high and mighty attitude.
- Powered Armor: He gains one for the Crystal Knights' assault on the enemy's headquarters. The armor makes him Nigh-Invulnerable against Genesis-sourced powers.
- Smug Snake
- Sociopathic Soldier
- Straw Misogynist
- Ultimate Job Security: Seriously, if it wasn't for him being the best marksman among the team, he would have been removed a long time ago.
- Villainous Crush: Towards Akane. Also towards Maki.
Capt. Carmen Santana (Call Sign: King Arthur)The Crystal Knight's helicopter pilot, who flies the team to their destinations during operations.
- Ace Pilot
- Badass Normal: Has no Genesis Gene, but can hold her own against Adams and Eves as well as mechanical enemies.
- Dual Wielding: Fights using Eskrima, with twin electro-batons.
- Mission Control: The Crystal Knights' primary source of battlefield information whenever her helicopter is within range. Otherwise, Crowe takes this role.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Befitting a Captain.
- Shock and Awe: Her electro-batons.
Commander Irina PavlovaThe Commander-in-Chief of the I.D.C. Asia-Pacific 3rd Fleet and the one in charge of the Avalon mobile naval base.
- An Older Sister to Her Men
- Four-Star Badass
- Lady of War: She will avoid fighting personally when possible, but when she fights, watch out.
- Nice Hat: Her officer hat. She sets it aside when she has to fight personally.
- Psychic Powers
- Reasonable Authority Figure
- Statuesque Stunner: At least six feet tall.
- The Stoic
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Unusually for a Ukrainian, she has blue hair as a result of her Genesis Gene.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Achieves this with her uniform, which consists of thigh-high boots and compression shorts.
Internationalis Defensio Cogere (I.D.C.) Council
WEISS-CorporationA mega-corporation owned by a person known only as Weisser Drache. They specialize in telecommunications and Internet service as well as the production of smartphones.
- Attack Drones: The company deploys these alongside its battle robots during missions.
- Corporate Warfare: With armed robots and battle drones.
- Kill Sat: The Starlight Breaker satellite. Weisser's plan is to use Akane to power the satellite to cause an Earth-Shattering Kaboom.
- Mecha-Mooks: Primarily used in missions involving capturing Akane, while the WEISS-Corp compound itself employs these as its defensive force.
- Sinister Surveillance: Their smartphones all come with tracker chips, allowing Weisser to keep an eye on potential targets all over the world provided that a target is using a Weiss-Smart phone. Akane is one such target.
- Standard Evil Organization Squad
Irvine DominguezWeisser Drache's personal bodyguard. He carries the Ira mark.
- Artificial Human: Created from the same project that gave birth to Weisser.
- Bloody Murder: Uses his blood for most of his attacks.
- Evil Brit: Tries too damn hard to invoke this trope, but his wordiness destroys his attempt. Still plays it straight when he gets serious.
- Evil Genius: He comes up with ways to help Weisser's plans. Of course he has his own agenda.
- Hell-Bent for Leather: All his clothes are black leather, oh my.
- True Final Boss: Of the whole trilogy.
- Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness: Very wordy, such that Weisser has to translate his words when he makes his monologues. This is all an act.
Yu YunaWeissder Drache's personal Meido.
- Alliterative Name: Yu Yuna.
- Anti-Villain: She's not evil. She just happens to be working for the main antagonist, but her motives for fighting are to simply protect her master (and Love Interest).
- Badass Bookworm: She likes reading books and can easily stand her ground against opponents.
- Bodyguard Crush: She has feelings for Weisser, which he cannot reciprocate because of his devotion to Maki.
- Curtains Match the Window: Purple hair and purple eyes.
- Meganekko: Commonly seen with a pair of glasses in her maid uniform.
- Ninja Maid: She's Weisser's maid and is capable of paralyzing opponents with her poison attacks.
- Poisonous Person: Her Genesis Gene allows her to produce venom, which she can throw as weaponry.
- Purple Is Powerful / Purple Is the New Black: Her color motif.
- Rapunzel Hair: Downplayed, as it reaches up to her waist. But being a swimmer, fitting all that hair in her cap is a chore.
- She's Got Legs: Most visible when she's in her swimsuit.
- Signature Move: Venom Fangs. She throws her crystallized natural poison as a Flechette Storm.
- Statuesque Stunner: At over five feet seven inches, she's far taller than the average Korean woman.
- Undying Loyalty: To Weisser.
- Walking Swimsuit Scene: Downplayed. She always wears a swimsuit, but since she often wears a maid uniform, the suit isn't seen unless she goes swimming.
Hyojin/Yakov AndreyevThe first of Weisser's three mercenaries sent to capture Akane.His Genesis gene grants him the power to create and control ice. He bears the Mark of Sin "Acedia".
- The Ahnold: Aside from the more obvious Terminator references to his character, Hyojin is also one to Schwarzenegger's version of Mr. Freeze, complete with penchant for ice puns.
- An Ice Person: Has powers over ice.
- Artificial Human: One of the three escaped "Seths" originally created by underground renegade Soviet groups. He now works under Weisser's command.
- Bald of Evil: He has no hair on his head, and is on the side of the bad guys.
- The Brute: The largest and strongest of Weisser's three mercenaries.
- Hell-Bent for Leather: Dons a leather bomber jacket during missions.
- Husky Russkie: A tall, bulky Russian ice-based mercenary.
- Literally Shattered Lives: How he prefers to dispatch those who get in his way.
- Mighty Glacier: Walks slowly, but is very strong and durable.
- No-Nonsense Nemesis: Hyojin takes his missions professionally, compared to his two teammates.
- Sinister Shades: He wears them to hide his icy Glowing Eyes of Doom. He takes them off when going for the offensive.
- Terminator Impersonator: Serves as this, being the primary mercenary being sent out to capture Akane. One of his victims even compared him to the titular villain.
- The Slow Walk: He does this for the intimidation factor.
Fujin/Fiona BathoryThe second of Weisser's three mercenaries sent to capture Akane.Her Genesis gene grants her the power to generate poisonous gas, which she can use to quickly kill targets. He bears the Mark of Sin "Invidia".
- Arch-Enemy: She serves as this towards Yuriy, because she's responsible for his sister's death.
- Artificial Human: One of the three escaped "Seths" originally created by underground renegade Soviet groups, she now works under Weisser's command.
- But for Me, It Was Tuesday: She doesn't remember killing Yuriy's sister, having murdered several other women in a spree throughout Budapest during that time.
- Combat Sadomasochist: She gets positively orgasmic whenever she dominates her opponents, especially if they're women.
- Deadly Gas: Her Eve powers.
- Femme Fatale: Serves this role for the three mercenaries. Curiously, her targets of seduction are females.
- Kick Chick: Her fighting style is savate, which is French kickboxing.
- Kiss of Death: Towards female targets, especially those she likes.
- Poisonous Person: She generates poison gas, which can kill in seconds.
- Projectile Kiss: Towards any opponent she doesn't deem desirable.
- Psycho Lesbian: Gets positively orgasmic at the idea of kissing other women to death. Towards guys, she'll just blow a kiss of poison gas at them.
- Sensual Slavs: She's Polish and is very sexual in her interaction with other characters. She's a disturbing mockery of this trope.
- Smoke Out and Super Smoke: One of her nastier tricks. She creates a large barrier of smokescreen, then merges herself with the smoke in order to avoid being physically attacked. The caveat is that she herself cannot attack while in gas form. Akane has to use her Aura Vision to locate her in the smokescreen in order to anticipate where Fujin will attack next.
- Soft-Spoken Sadist: She enjoys the thrill of killing, especially female victims.
- Tomboyish Ponytail: Reaches to her hips.
Hyojin/Marcu BalanThe third of Weisser's three mercenaries sent to capture Akane.
- Artificial Human: One of the three escaped "Seths" originally created by underground renegade Soviet groups. He now works under Weisser's command.
- Hell-Bent for Leather: His outfit is more or less a full-body leather suit with Too Many Belts.
- Peek-a-Bangs: Always has his left eye covered.
- Psycho Electro
Special Assault Team (Kyoto Branch)The real-life Japanese counterpart to S.W.A.T. forces. In BLUE_EYES, members of the Kyoto branch appear as a group of allies during the Kanshu-ji hostage crisis.
Chief Inspector WakamotoThe Chief Inspector of S.A.T. Kyoto, who leads the entire S.A.T. force on a search mission in Kanshu-ji Temple.
Officer MizukiOne of the few surviving S.A.T. officers that the Crystal Knights find in the temple. First seen alongside his partner, Yuuki.
Officer YuukiOne of the few surviving S.A.T. officers that the Crystal Knights find in the temple. First seen alongside his partner, Mizuki.
Officer KingetsuOne of the few surviving S.A.T. officers that the Crystal Knights find in the temple. First found injured nearby one of the photon explosives.
Officer SaitoOne of the officers, he initially accompanies Chief Inspector Wakamoto and Inspector Nakata on their search for the hostages. He's among the casualties of the attacking battle robots.
- Akane Orikasa
- Her entire storyline - a Magic Idol Singer with Psychic Powers - is a walking homage to Athena Asamiya. Weisser's plan to use her as a living battery also is a reference to a similar fate that can befall Athena from Athena: Awakening from the Ordinary Life.
- She often mentions being a fan of a certain group of forty-eight idols. Even Sokolov's nickname for her is Acchan, after Atsuko Maeda, fromer member of the group.
- She has a poster of Madoka Kaname in her bedroom during her into scene. It foreshadows Akane's development into being a Magical Girl Warrior herself.
- Her spells being stardust-based and pink brings to mind another magical girl with such traits. Her similarity to Nanoha becomes more explicit once she gets her own Beam Spam attack.
- Her best friend, Sayuri, hanged herself because of bullying. Sounds familiar? (For bonus points, the character who died in the visual novel is named Sayori.)
- Weisser Drache
- A CEO of a Mega-Corp. Always clad in a white coat. Has daddy issues. Weisser is a dead-ringer for Seto Kaiba. For bonus points, he literally has blue eyes, and his name is German for "white dragon" - as in Blue-Eyes White Dragon.
- His photon-based attacks also brings to mind Kite Tenjo.
- His Kill Sat is named the Starlight Breaker. It's not used for making friends, obviously.
- His backstory, where he finds out that he's a clone made by his father, mirrors that of Fate Testarossa. It also ties to his Super Speed and his photon attacks.
- Maki Hoshino
- She's a combination of Maki Hoshikawa and Maki Nishikino.
- Her surname is Hoshikawa and Nishikino combined.
- Her being a redhead and a kind girlfriend to Weisser is similar to the role Hoshikawa plays towards the protagonist.
- Her studying to become a doctor (psychologist, in her case) mirrors Nishikino's backstory. The difference is that Hoshino actually wants to be a doctor.
- Her asymmetrical hair combines elements from the two Makis. Her left side is longer just like Nishikino's, while her right side is shorter just like Hoshikawa's.
- She's a combination of Maki Hoshikawa and Maki Nishikino.
- Sayaka Miyazawa
- Rachelle Hathaway
- Her appearance as a hot-headed loud fire user makes her a clear Expy to Chandra Nalaar.
- An American racer who fights using Jeet Kune Do. Where have we seen this before?It also applies to her Back Story: Her search for her brother Richard, who was kidnapped by a mysterious organization, mirrors Jacky's search for his sister Sarah.
- Jeanne Neumann
- Gasira Bakhita
- She's a friendly Kenyan who fights using Capoeira, just like Elena - minus the Stripperiffic outfit. Also, the way she launches her light projectiles using her feet brings to mind King.
- Her signature outfit - a tanktop, short cargo shorts, and hiking boots - makes her a Kenyan Lara Croft. Even Akane mentions this in one of her narrations.
- Leah Evans
- Her being a Bifauxnen In A Nice Suit makes her a homage to King from The King of Fighters, except punch-based. More accurately, she is more like Bazzet from Fate/hollow ataraxia.
- She is also a reference to Kyouko Kirigiri from Danganronpa. To wit, they both wear gloves, both were great detectives, and both lost their dads due to orders by the Big Bad.
- Phoemela Lopes
- Yuriy Sokolov
- His first name is in honor of voice actor Yuri Lowenthal. This also homages the friendship between the voice actor and Crowe's namesake.
- The Straight Man and Wise Guy relationship between him and Crowe is more or less based on the friendship between Yu Narukami and Yosuke Hanamura. (Both are voiced in English by Bosch and Lowenthal, respectively, furthering the homage to the two voice actors.)
- Combat-wise, Sokolov and Crowe have a partner dynamic comparable to Ralf and Clark, with Sokolov being Ralf: a relatively loud-mouthed soldier who punches and kicks hard as hell. He also has a more red motif on his combat attire.
- His expression when surprised, which also doubles as his Catchphrase, is "Suka blyat!"
- His arsenal are all references to action video games, including but not limited to: a pair of multi-mode goggles, a crowbar, an air taser, and a cardboard box.
- Johnny Crowe
- His first name is in honor of voice actor Johnny Yong Bosch. This also homages the friendship between the voice actor and Sokolov's namesake.
- The Straight Man and Wise Guy relationship between him and Sokolov is more or less based on the friendship between Yu Narukami and Yosuke Hanamura. (Both are voiced in English by Bosch and Lowenthal, respectively, furthering the homage to the two voice actors.)
- Combat-wise, Sokolov and Crowe have a partner dynamic comparable to Ralf and Clark, with Crowe being Clark: a stoic (and snarky) soldier with an entire arsenal of powerful grabs. He also has a more blue motif on his combat attire.
- Crowe is very much a No Celebrities Were Harmed, military version of Cr1TiKaL: a youthful guy in his twenties (though Crowe is a clean-shaven guy compared to Charlie) who has an incredibly deep voice and has a penchant for snarky monotone and crass humor.
- Corporal Rex Russel
- The Corporal is based on Giroro. Both have the same military rank, have a scar over their eye, have a penchant for firearms, and have an obsessive crush on someone (Akane and Maki for Russell, Natsumi for Giroro). However, unlike Giroro, Russell's actions are Played for Horror.
- He's also more or less Guile, with him wearing military outfits that include sleeveless tops (or just a vest) that bare his arms, including similar American flag tattoos on his shoulders. Unlike the decidedly heroic Guile, Russell is an incredibly unsympathetic Anti-Hero at best. And that's before The Reveal about him.
- Carmen Santana
- Irina Pavlivna
- She is one to Heidern from The King of Fighters. She serves as the Commander-in-Chief as well as amother figure - albeit a stern one - to the rest of the I.D.C., not to mention her fighting style (despite having Waif-Fu elements) being pretty much modeled after Heidern's.
- Her Psychic Powers manifest as two ways, both referencing an X-Men character: her Mind over Matter and Mind Rape abilities are taken from Professor X (also befitting her role as the commanding officer of the Avalon), while her psychic blades are from Psylocke (also befitting Pavlivna's acrobatic fighting style).
- Irvine Dominguez
- Yu Yuna
- A walking tribute to Rider (a.k.a. Medusa) from Fate/stay night. To wit, Yuna is a Statuesque Stunner who has purple hair that reaches to her waist, has matching purple eyes, wears glasses, and has a similar snake motif. Not to mention that she's also a Badass Bookworm with Undying Loyalty mirroring Rider's loyalty to Sakura. Finally, her name is a reference to Rider's voice actress.
- She also serves as a reference to Sakuya Izayoi of Touhou, with her being a Ninja Maid whose Signature Attack is a Flechette Storm (of poison daggers, in Yuna's case).
- Her favorite author is Stephen King, and the book she's described reading is one about cell phone users turning into zombie-like people.
- He is a combination of aspects from two Arnold Schwarzenegger roles: the titular Terminator, and Mr. Freeze.
- His role in the story is to track down Akane, and he fills the role of the Implacable Man among the three mercenaries, evoking the titular robot. One difference Hyojin has from the Terminator is that he can be hurt, but not for long.
- Just like Freeze, he has ice powers and has a penchant for ice puns.
- He is a combination of aspects from two Arnold Schwarzenegger roles: the titular Terminator, and Mr. Freeze.
- Kyoto S.A.T. Police
- The named police officers have names that reference Japanese voice actors (except one). To wit, the named members are: Chief Inspector Wakamoto, Inspector Nakata, and Officers Kingetsu, Mizuki, Yuuki, Saito, and Nishiya (after Futoshi Nishiya, a (sadly deceased) director and character designer for Kyoto Animation.)
- PROLOGUE: "I am the White Dragon"
- A line from Stephan's declaration before he turns the Eiffel Tower into a photon Tesla coil of doom:
- LINK 01: "Here comes Akane Orikasa!"
- LINK 02: "The Cold Assassin - Hyojin"
- LINK 03: "Mysterious Message"
- Akane's Out-of-Clothes Experience dream, where she first meets Maki, is based on similar scenes involving mental communication among the psychic [[Franchise/Gundam Newtypes]].
"Starduster en route!"