A Rag Tag Bunch Of Misfits saves humanity from aliens. And itself.
Everyone Went to School Together. The Hero answers The Call. Believing he is The Chosen One, he sets off to save the world. Our hero is an Informed Loner. Not even his True Companions believe his I Work Alone speech, and everyone just ignores his irate protests as they set up a team (a Five-Man Band) and support his mission with their specialized skills.
The first draft drew a lukewarm response, prompting lots of confusion from the author at the response. Also, this damn Mary Sue keeps sneaking into the narrative. I can't keep her out; she just shows up with a different face. so I think I'll just have to Kill Her.
- The Hero
- Chaotic Neutral
- The Stoic
- Informed Loner: In-story, no less
- Jade-Colored Glasses: "Nobody ever jumped on a grenade."
Tropes Present in this Work
- There will be a Big Board
- The Power of Friendship
- In Vino Veritas
- Dating Catwoman
- Everyone is a Genius Bruiser and tends toward Blood Knight.
- Lensman Arms Race: Against an as-yet imaginary enemy
- Flat "What":G: [quietly] Why do you call them the Grimloe?I: It sounds scary.G: What? [stares at him] Seriously?
- The Kzinti Lesson: How the Office of Human Advancement disguises the aforementioned arms race.
- Crazy-Prepared: Humanity will be, if the OHA has its way.
- Troperrific: This work will be, if I have my way.
- Precursors: Space Elves who are more or less Benevolent Precursors, but mostly just Neglectful. They spend their time contemplating their navels and most have Ascended to a Higher Plane of Existence, but they also happen to have massive, 'massive', massive firepower. The protagonists debate trying to poke them into helping, but can't find a long enough stick. They aren't 100% sure whose side they'd be on, anyway. After enduring the umpteenth "Reason You Suck" Speech, humans pretty much say Screw You, Elves! and resolve to go it alone.
- Abusive Precursors who want to Kill All Humans. We don't know why; they have Blue and Orange Morality, too.