Red Owl was a novel (or possibly graphic novel) dreamed up by Strix Obscuro, about the exploits of a supposedly forgotten costumed vigilante who fought against the Axis occupation of Albania and then fled to the United States to escape from the Communist dictatorship. The novel also tells the story of this hero's American-born granddaughter as she tries to take up the mantle to fight against corrupt developers who are attempting to take over her neighborhood.
This work contains examples of:
- Badass Gay: Travesti, an Italian lesbian who disguised herself as a young man to fight the Fascists.
- Badass Normal: The Red Owl fought the Nazis and the Fascists using mostly improvised or scavenged equipment and an old Fokker D.VII plane.
- The Cowl: Both the original and modern Red Owls and Thoth.
- Creator Provincialism: Most of the modern-day action takes place in Boston.
- Expy: The story employs several expies of mainstream comic-book characters:
- Gadgeteer Genius: Thoth
- Religious Bruiser: Matthew Iskander, a local Superman/Shazam expy, is a devout Muslim.
- Sweet Polly Oliver: The Italian hero Travesti posed as a man in order to infiltrate and sabotage the Fascists.
- Twofer Token Minority: The original Red Owl is a trans man and a Muslim.