Phantom Revenant is the sequel to Twilight Dragon, and a heartwrenching tale about the blur between the lines of life and death, truth and lies, fantasy and reality, and friendship and love.
They thought they were successful. They thought they had won. They were wrong.
And because of their failure, they're all going to die.
Phantom Revenant provides examples of:
- Aerith and Bob: Same as in the first book.
- Arc Words: "When the path is looking bleak, Mnemosyne is who you seek."
- Author Appeal: Momoko's hair is still adorably pink.
- Author Avatar: Keaira has switched to being the protagonist, and she's dangerously close to the author's real life persona.
- Backstory: Anyone who didn't get one in the first book gets one now.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: between Keaira and Gaignun.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Aina reprises her role as the resident <<Tsundere>>.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Keaira is desperately in love with her childhood friend, but is afraid to tell him because she doesn't want to ruin their friendship.
- Cursed with Awesome: People who have been infected with the Crystallinevirus can become see-through and partially intangeable. Unfortunately, the disease also leads to death, either by "losing yourself" or being hunted down and eventually murdered by Fader Haters. Psychics could also count. They possess incredible psychic power, but most end up killing their parents as infants or toddlers because they can not control their power that young.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Boy, are there ever
- Dark Is Not Evil: The Hanekuro people have black wings. Most are quite friendly, however, despite the prejudice and persecution they constantly face from humans.
- Friend to All Living Things: Aina McCrae fits this, due mostly to the fact that she is a therian. She has been known to take this trope Up to Eleven. Even so much as suggesting that something be needlessly killed will cause a temporary FaceHeel Turn.
- Functional Magic: Atoli resumes her role to use magic to take care of whatever still remains of the Plague of Twilight.
- An Ice Person: Atoli is specifically known as a Sorceress of Snow.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Keaira cant remember anything about her parents deaths or her life before detainment. Justified in that she killed them herself when she was young and the experience was so traumatic for her that she merely repressed it.
- Leeroy Jenkins: Aina and the others had come up with some perfectly workable plans to avoid any of their friends deaths, but Lucia would have none of it. She was too eager to get them to the other world and sacrificed herself needlessly, also forcing one of the others to sacrifice themselves as well so they could open Pandora's Box.
- Loads and Loads of Characters: Even more than there were in the first book
- Meaningful Name: Keaira's is particularly significant. It means Little Dark One. May or may not be a case of Dark Is Not Evil.
- Missing Mom: Keaira knows she accidentally killed her mom in the past because of her powers.
- Mixed Ancestry: All of the Adler siblings are half human, half Hanekuro.
- Mutants: Leilani was once a simple human, but with the help of some radioactive goo and a piece of dolphin flesh, she became a pseudo-mermaid.
- Occupiers Out of Our Country: More like Occupiers Out Of Our Planet. Let's just say that Humans don't take too kindly to the Hanekuro, despite the fact that they really haven't done anything wrong.
- Opposites Attract: Aina and Trowa finally got together. They're married and expecting a baby soon.
- Our Mermaids Are Different: Leilani, as explained above, is a half-dolphin mutant who is frequently mistaken for a real mermaid.
- Psychic Link: The bond that Keaira and Gaignun share as Others plays a much more prominent role in this book.
- Psychic Powers: Due to a virus called the Capaciousvirus, portions of the brain become enlarged and enable infected humans to have control over enormous psychic powers. Different psychics have different powers, all dealing with the mind.
- Robot Girl: Cute little AI Momoko turns out to be quite the formidable opponent in a fight.
- Saving the World: Again. This time, they're hoping it actually works.
- She Is Not My Girlfriend More like Hes not my boyfriend! Keaira complains in her reminiscence of her escape from the orphanage
- Tsundere: Keaira and Aina, though Keaira has toned it down a bit since the events of the first book.
- Unscaled Merfolk: Leilani is genetically half-dolphin due to a nuclear accident.
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: Between Keaira and Gaignun, as always
- What Measure Is a Non-Human?: Psychics aren't human by normal people's standards. Normal people aren't human by psychic's standards. This inevitably leads to th second Psychic War.
- Winged Humanoid: The entire race of the Hanekuro, an alien species distinguishable by their blood red eyes, deep tanned skin, and black eagle-like wings, are winged humanoids. Many half-Hanekuro hybrids also sport the black wings of their alien heritage.
- Witch Species: Atoli's entire family is known as the most powerful line of snow sorcerers ever to walk the earth. Her spells only work within people of her bloodline. The Menaduke Family is also introduced, though they have more mundane magic.