My Classmates Are Different is a novel by Kat S.. It is, however, still a work in progress, and is expected to be done at around March 2017.
The story revolves around high school freshman Janice Lee and her classmates Chris Arbuckle and Lester Lane. Jan is a straight-A student, one-time national spelling bee champion, math whiz, concert pianist and all-around perfect student. She is also popular and a favorite among her classmates, though she is rather introverted and would rather study and practice the piano than hang out with her friends. So it was a shock to her friends that Jan would help the two losers in class.
My Classmates Are Different provides examples of the following tropes:
- Academic Alpha Bitch: Jan, along with her group of friends at the beginning of the book.
- Lovable Alpha Bitch: However, Jan was the only one in her initial group of friends who didn't care about popularity enough to avoid Chris and Lester.
- Cloudcuckoolander: There are several, especially Chris.
- Education Mama: Jan's parents.
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: Well, 3/4ths of it, anyway. Jan's Phlegmatic, Chris's Melancholic and Lester's Choleric.
- Freudian Trio: Jan (Ego), Lester (Id) and Chris (Superego).
- A Friend in Need: Jan tries to be this towards everyone she knows.
- Hollywood Autism: The author, being autistic, tries to avert this with Chris.
- Living Emotional Crutch: Chris and Jan become this to Lester as he grew to them.
- No Hugging, No Kissing: There is little to no romance in this novel. Instead, it focuses on the friendship between the members of the trio.
- The Power of Friendship: What this book is about.
- There Are No Therapists: Averted. Lester did time in therapy in middle school due to a certain incident that he won't mention, and he was forced to see a therapist again after his parents heard that he assaulted a sophomore.
- Token Trio: The trio of friends consists of Jan (Asian female), Chris (white female) and Lester (black male).
- Wrong Genre Savvy: One of Jan's friends believed that this is a typical romance setting and objected against Jan dating either Chris or Lester.
- Academic Alpha Bitch: Strives to be the best at school.
- The Ace: Jan is good at everything, at least for a high school student.
- All-Loving Hero: Jan, who believes that everyone has good inside and never bullies those below her in the Popularity Food Chain.
- The B Grade: Getting Bs are intolerable in Jan's household, so naturally she would avoid getting one.
- Ambiguous Disorder: It's not really clear what mental illnesses Lester has specifically.
- Berserk Button: Losing his friends, whether to death or to other people.
- Geek Physiques: Lester's as thin as a rail.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Lester gets upset over the slightest provocation. This has got him into trouble many times.
- Prone to Tears: Cries easily. This exasperates Chris, who was also Prone to Tears in the past.
- Revenge Before Reason: one of his Fatal Flaws.
- Troubled, but Cute
- Yandere: Platonic version. Not the most extreme example, though.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: Highly gifted, but would rather browse the Internet and play games than actually study for school.
- Prone to Tears: It is revealed that she used to be this in her past.
- Tomboyish Name / Gender-Blender Name: Though the name "Chris" is gender-neutral, it's more seen as a boy's name.
- Womanchild / Wise Beyond Her Years: Like most gifted children, Chris develops asynchronously.