A work in progress by Darth Megatron (other tropers can help too, just leave a message on the discussion page), Broken Futures is a Kingdom Hearts fanfiction where we take a look at what the KH universe would be like if Sora had never been born.
Our story takes place after the defeat of Xehanort, and Sora and his friends Riku and Kairi are celebrating their glorious victory. Ansem, Seeker of Darkness happens to travel to this point in time, and decides go back in time to kill Sora on the day of his birth. At that point, the present-day Sora is suddenly thrust into an alternate universe where he doesn't exist, Master Xehanort and all his incarnations are still alive and rule over all worlds, and a second Keyblade War is happening. With only 24 hours to prevent Xehanort from using the seven Princesses of Heart to create the all-powerful "God Blade" and locking the timeline permanently, Sora and the Donald and Goofy of the alternate timeline must return the timestream back to normal and prevent Ansem from ever messing with the timeline again.
Has a developing character sheet.
This work will provide examples of:
- Back from the Dead: All incarnations of Xehanort, along with Vanitas (fused with Ventus) and most of the Disney villains.
- Continuity Porn: For example, Sora's interactions with Donald and Goofy will be heavily based on the first Kingdom Hearts game.
- Crapsack World: The alternate, Xehanort-ruled timeline.
- It's a Wonderful Plot
- Shout-Out: The fic is loosely inspired by Shrek Forever After, but is much darker given the KH setting.
- Shown Their Work: The author refuses to publish the fic until he's extensively studied the mess that is the KH storyline.
- Took a Level in Badass / Badass Decay: Invoked for several characters, given the altered timeline. For example, Kairi is now a Keyblade Master Warrior Princess (of Heart), while Riku is nothing but a usually-dormant body for Xehanort to use.