This was my first major project. And when I say major, I mean HUGE. It was going to be the entire history of one fantasy kingdom. It would never end. When I grew old, I would find a young writer whom I admired, and train my padawan for the task of continuing the continuity.
...it's currently sitting on my computer at 95 pages, all but untouched for the last three years.
Wait, what? The plot? Wh- oh, right. It's a generic quest fantasy with Loads and Loads of Characters. There are 12 protagonists, most (but not all) of them wielding a power connected to one of the ten elements. You know, fire, rock, sand, water, air, ice, dark, plant, magic, techno. Oh, and heart, only that's not an element.
Nearly all of the protagonists are from different tribes connected with said powers, and the entire plot of the first book was merely setting up the You All Meet in an Inn scenario. But the tribes are at war, and Reality Ensues. Yes, Anyone Can Die. (In fact, I believe it was heading towards Kill Em All.)
- An Ice Person: Averted. There are several tribes with no powers to speak of, who rely on brute force.
- Blow You Away: Averted. See An Ice Person, above.
- CamelCase: The StoneSorcerers, StoneSeekers and StoneSmiths.
- Casting a Shadow: Powerful Dark characters can do this. Oddly, there is no Light 'em Up in this 'verse.
- Dishing Out Dirt: The StoneSorcerers have this ability.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Ny.
- Extra-ore-dinary: Actually, the StoneSorcerers are more closely related to metal than stone.
- Five-Man Band: The characters can be split into two groups:
- Green Thumb: K, with a dose of Plant Person for good measure.
- Last Of Her Kind: K. Also, the forest dragon.
- Linear Warriors, Quadratic Wizards: Natch.
- MacGuffins: Plenty.
- The Emerald Arrow is a Free Sample Plot Coupon, a Mineral MacGuffin, a Clingy MacGuffin and a MacGuffin Title.
- The Dark Crystal is a Mineral MacGuffin, a MacGuffin Title and an Unholy Holy Sword.
- There are eight MineralMacGuffins in total.
- The Golden Eye and Jerl's Locket are both MementoMacGuffins.
- Every tribe holds one key artifact that is guaranteed to be a MacGuffin.
- Making a Splash: Also averted. See, An Ice Person, above.
- Our Dragons Are Different: In-universe. There are eight kinds of dragon, plus sea serpents.
- Plant Person: K. Although she doesn't have many plant-like characteristics, she can still talk to plants, so that makes it this trope.
- Playing with Fire: This was even a chapter heading.
- Pure Energy / Mind over Matter: Because how can you have a fantasy kingdom without a wizard?
- Ship Tease: When Alli and Fin first meet. Actually, Alli seems to get 'Ship Teased a lot.
- Shock and Awe: Kind of. Ren has a staff that does this.
- Time Travel: They attempt to change the past, but it only ends up as a Stable Time Loop because You Already Changed the Past.
- Token Minority: Omar and Rica.
- You All Meet in an Inn
- What Kind of Lame Power Is Heart, Anyway?: Of course, it turns out that Heart Is an Awesome Power.