Here's To Love (also known as Pokétalk) is a [nonexistent] Pokémon fanfiction inspired by/based on the film Down with Love. The fanfiction pays homage to screwball comedies including Pillow Talk (which Down with Love itself is a parody of), and is written in an interesting manner; it uses shifting narrators and the dialogue is written like a script for the characters.
The fic is set in the late 1950s and centers a playboy Mewtwo living in an apartment. Mewtwo begins to fall for his neighbor, a Gardevoir who works as an author of romance and interior design, but Gardevoir sees him as a nuisance. Mewtwos main competition is one of Gardevoirs clients, a shiny Lucario. Hilarity Ensues as Mewtwo tries to win over Gardevoir by forming a new persona for himself: a country singer named Rick Harrison.
Contains Mewtwo/Gardevoir and Lucario/Gardevoir (With a hint of Mewtwo/Lucario)
Tropes used in Here's To Love
- Affectionate Parody: Of screwball comedies and Pokémon shippings.
- Anachronism Stew: Why is Mewtwo in the late '50s? Who cares?
- The Casanova: Mewtwo, especially as "Rick".
- Double Entendre: Full of them.
- Empathic Environment: Hilariously subverted. The amount of rain during Mewtwo's Heroic BSoD is a bit much.
- Film Fic
- Gray Rain of Depression: Satirized. After Gardevoir discovers "Rick's" true identity and dumps him, Mewtwo is left alone on the street as it rains. A lot.
- Heroic BSoD: Mewtwo has a brief one after Gardevoir discovers his secret, but more due to his choice of wine being criticized.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Gardevoir and Lucario give one to Mewtwo when they discover the truth about "Rick". They call him out on the fact that he lied, his playboy tendencies, and his poor taste in wine.
- Song Fic: The beginning of each chapter uses lines of the song from Down with Love's credits Here's To Love.