You arent welcome here... but youre going to come anyway. Be prepared for Hell. Because thats exactly what well give you.
Heaven On Lockdown is a closed, Discord-based Danganronpa RP group. 18 high school students find themselves waking up on the top floor of a desolate tower. The last thing they remember was signing up for a pre-Hopes Peak summer preparation course. Locked away with no help, they are left with only one way to go - down.
Heaven On Lockdown demonstrates these examples of tropes:
- A Student Body Divided
- Amateur Sleuth
- Body of the Week: Every chapter results in at least one death that the remaining students have to investigate.
- Characters Dropping Like Flies
- Clear My Name/Clear Their Name: Happens whenever somebody is accused of the crime and fights the charges, or when their friends do their best to help them. Of course, the question of whether or not they're actually guilty is very real....
- Cruel and Unusual Death: The executions, which are tailor-made for each culprit. Usually, they either mock their Super High School Level talent or exploit their deepest fears, ensuring their punishment is as terrifying as possible. Occasionally, a murder victim also dies in a particularly horrible manner.
- Deadly Game
- Developing Doomed Characters: That's some to most of the characters. Good luck figuring out which ones they are before they die.
- Dwindling Party
- Earn Your Happy Ending: But who knows how much the students will have to sacrifice to achieve it?
- Emotional Torque
- Everyone Is a Suspect: The objective of each trial is to find out who is the most suspicious. Extends to before each individual murder, when the students must attempt to figure out who the possible complicit person might be.
- Evidence Scavenger Hunt
- Fire-Forged Friends: Often, relationships (both platonic and possibly romantic) are formed due to the stress everyone is put under and the bonds created thusly.
- Humans Are Flawed
- Involuntary Battle to the Death
- Kangaroo Court
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: Considering its premise and the fact that it's a roleplay, the characters are not above poking fun at the supposed absurdity of their circumstances.
- Mystery of the Week: There's a new murder every two-ish weeks in real life.
- Pink Blood
- Public Execution
- Red Herring: Par for the course in a murder mystery. There's usually one or two big ones every case.
- Shout-Out: May contain references to popular culture, internet phenomena and call-backs to previous games the muns and their muses have been in.
- Teen Genius: All the students to some extent. They were initially accepted into Hope's Peak for being the best in their age bracket at what they do.
- Tonight, Someone Dies: Specifically, every couple of weeks, someone will be murdered.
- Translation Convention: All characters are presumed to be speaking Japanese unless otherwise noted, even though the game is written in English.
- Win Your Freedom
- You Can't Go Home Again
Hideyoshi Abbandonato REAL NAME: Hideyoshi Abbandonato
SHSL Food Critic
CHAPTER 1 KILLER
Hideyoshi is straightforward with his reviews and most people worldwide depend on his reviews before approaching food establishments or completely avoid them, he is very harsh with his reviews but also offers advice directly to the establishments and giving them a second chance, Hopes Peak believes him to be worthy of this title due to his popularity among food industries, besides this you can't dig up much else about him...
- Cool Shades: Hideyoshi wears sunglasses everywhere, even indoors, for no apparent reason.
- Yakuza: He was secretly a hitman from the famous Yakuza family, the Amusans.
Hailing from the more rural regions of France, Ethan Bordellon in spite of his young age is one of the most recognised faces in his country's agricultural community, and by far the most trusted one to anybody seeking advice on how to better care for their sheep. Now a dependable producer of high quality wool and animal products, the Bordellon farm has experienced a spike in income over the last few years, owed mostly to a recently formed business partnership between them and a popular Japanese tailoring company. While not much about the shepherd himself is known, he does gain a lot of local attention for performing in sheepdog trials without the aid of dog, with the sheep he trains able to carry out a successful routine from his commands alone.
- Teens Are Short: A good number of this cast are rather short, but Ethan is on the low end at 5'0".
Despite his bright appearance and bubbly personality, Akio Kuchi is very close to death! Hes the Super High School Level Mortician, and the co-owner of the Kuchi Funeral Home! Its co-run by the youngest mortician in all of Japan— the one and only Akio! Hes been running the business under the watchful eye of his older sister for years, and business has been nothing but great!
- Cool Mask: Akio wears a medical mask around on a day-to-day basis.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: His hair is blue.
SHSL Horror Rakugoka
At first glance, you wouldnt expect such an absurd looking grim kid to be a master of the ancient performance art; rakugo. However, Monoshiro specializes in the horror genre, specifically Japanese urban legends, which is what makes him stand out. The eerie aura he creates turns scary storytelling into a whole new and different experience. His shows are held inside a small dark tent and are limited to an audience of five people only, for a better and ghostlier effect. It is guaranteed that his shows will entertain you. They might not terrify you, but they can surely be considered amusing.
- Chuunibyou: Word of mun says that Monoshiro is one of these.
Some people call him an angel, or at least claim he has the voice of one. Juzou Nakazato wouldnt go that far (thats blasphemy, after all!), but the boy has been hard at work on his vocals since he was young, and its certainly paid off considering hes now lauded as one of the leading tenors in Japan even at 18, a bonafide virtuoso of the new age. With roles ranging from Faust to Roméo (but known best as the former), the young but accomplished lyric tenor got his start in the choirs of his church and Glory Academy, a prestigious private Catholic school. But his vocals couldnt just be confined to hymns, soon expanding to arias and serenades. Its not just a good voice that makes a virtuoso, but vocal skills as well, and Nakazato has them in spades. That combination, along with his boyish good looks and his altar boy behavior have endeared him to not just Japan, but operatic communities worldwide, thus cementing his title of Super High School Level Virtuoso.
- Peek-a-Bangs: His bangs cover up his right eye.
SHSL Jeet Kune Do
CHAPTER 2 VICTIM
Hopes Peak has a tendency to scout out the best of the best young martial artists in Japan, and this practitioner of the philosopher and hybrid martial art of Jeet Kune Do is no exception. Mamoru Satou speaks openly about his background as a formerly troubled youth who reformed into a martial arts master. Hes a passionate and encouraging young man constantly striving to improve himself, in and outside of matches. A fiery heart here is tempered by a man who makes a point of trying to be calm and philosophical.
- Good Is Not Dumb/Smarter Than You Look: A hot-blooded Nice Guy and walking shonen anime cliche who believes in The Power of Friendship, but he also believes in backing it up, and actually doing more than believing to solve a problem. He also strives to pursue all sorts of types of knowledge, not simply his pursuit of strength, and wishes to succeed and improve academically rather than simply physically.
Sukan is a hot-headed, short-tempered guy thats quite hard to be around. No one really knows where he came from, but they do know hes not afraid to fight and argue at a moments notice. Regardless, there is no dispute on how efficiently he can fix electrical and mechnical objects, even if his methods aren't exactly considered "safe" or "by the textbook". He is a bit of a builder at heart.
- Delinquent Hair: Sukan's spiky, orangey-red mohawk certainly fits into this category.
SHSL Love Guru
Churi Aikawa is the biggest name for all those who are in love in Japan. Shes the one who will make sure that you are in love, that you continue in love, and that your love shines forever. Even not having any love interests, she can and will work hard to assure that you are given the best opportunities. Travelling all over the country, and responsible for many of the most important public couples of our nation, shes going to make sure that not only you find your soulmate, but also that you can stay with them until death do you part!
- The Cutie: She's sweet, kind, and lovable, with a particular taste for romance.... Obviously, given her Talent!
- Hair Decorations: Churi has a pretty purple flower clipped into her hair.
- The Idealist: She sees the best in everyone, without fail Even to a fault, at times. And Churi firmly believes in The Power of Love conquering all.
- Pink Means Feminine: Thanks to her pink hair and accessories.
- Statuesque Stunner: Churi measures up at 6'2"!
SHSL Fortune Cookie Maker
Isabew wite me... Isabew pwease
- Hair Decorations: She has a white bow in her hair, on the back of her head.
- Pink Means Feminine: Jingyi's pink hair.
- Teens Are Short: A good number of this cast are rather short, but Jingyi is on the low end at 5'0".
Range "Ran" Goto
Known in the scientific community across Asia, Range Ran Goto is a young conservationist who has made a name for herself in bird keeping and raptor conservation. Shes worked with major raptor study and conservation organizations in Japan, China, Mongolia, Russia, and elsewhere as a bird and human trainer. She also has a series of educational videos on Youtube for those interested in raptors and how to care for them starring herself and her feisty, spirited, and prized red-tailed hawk, Beatrice.
- Hair Decorations: She wears a headband with a pretty bow on it.
- Loyal Animal Companion: Ran's pet hawk, Beatrice, stays with her wherever she goes.
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: Ran sees only the very best in people around her, to a degree that's almost comical.
SHSL Dance Arcade Gamer
Born in New Zealand and raised in the quiet suburbs of the States, Rina Kashiwabara admittedly isnt a very well-known name, having only recently risen in the ranks of primarily dance-based gaming; however, if you were to come across her in an arcade, you would instantly be able to understand how she managed to get her title. Her impressive high scores and speed have won her multiple competitions and prizes, with a Hopes Peak scout coming to one of her after-parties to speak directly with her. Speedy, spontaneous, and seemingly able to talk on and on without ever running out of breath, Rina is a friendly and sociable figure with a knack for fast-paced gaming.
- Girlish Pigtails: Rina's dual-toned hair is put up into two twin tails.
SHSL Paranormal Vlogger
A paranormal vlogger who got started because of her interest in her grandfather told her and in rumors and urban legends that were spread around her school. She started off taking videos and photos of supposedly haunted or eerie places just for fun, but decided that itd be a good idea when a friend suggested that she post them on the internet. Despite her focus on the paranormal, she tries to keep her videos and posts as factual and respectful as she can.
- The Cutie: She's sweet, kind, and lovable!
- Girlish Pigtails: Tori's hair is colorfully dyed and pulled into pigtails.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: Her blonde-dyed hair matches her fair and kind personality.
- Lipstick Lesbian: She acts pretty traditionally feminine, but word of mun says that she is in fact a lesbian!
Originating from a place known as Moonlight City, Yukari is a blunt, assertive individual, who usually wont hesitate to speak her mind when she feels the need to. With a hint of mischief in her personality, Yukari has her own plans to rule the world some day. In the mean time, however, why not buy a potion? Theyre at a discounted price, so can you really resist? You wouldnt want to make her upset, would you?
- Cute Witch: She dresses like a witch, with a witch's hat and cloak, and she's undeniably adorable while doing it.
- Peek-a-Bangs: Yukari's bangs cover up one of her eyes.
- Small Name, Big Ego: Yukari has a big introduction for herself, but it doesn't seem as though most people have actually heard of her.... Or her potions.
- Verbal Tic: "Uwaaah", "Nyaaah"....
- You Gotta Have Purple Hair: Yukari's hair is light purple.
CHAPTER 2 KILLER
Nuruigai Nijimura is a star archer with an eagles eye. Theres a common rumor that shes never once missed a shot, and her cold, unplacated demeanor certainly comes off as someone who never hesitates to take one. Amazingly, shes entirely self taught, and boasts about this; she openly believes that the truth is, you dont need anyone in this world. The general grimdark, offputting vibe she spouts can be felt wherever she goes or speaks, but she carries herself with it all the same.
- Hair Decorations: Nuruigai has a purple flower clipped into her hair on one side.
- Peek-a-Bangs: Her bangs cover up her left eye, mostly.
Hiwa Hiwa Palakiko
Born in the middle of the ocean, well not exactly! But pretty close! Hiwahiwa Palakiko is from Tuvalu, an island far from Japan and slowly disappearing into the Pacific Ocean. Hiwa Hiwa however is a well known household name back home though from her natural charm and kindness to her unmatched talent and dedication when it comes to fire dancing! If you were to see her dance for yourself, you surely would be mesmerized at how graceful the young girl is! As to how Hopes Peak found her likely is a mystery...but they are surely glad they did due to how much popularity and funding she has brought to the academy!
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Hiwa's hair is dyed ombre from dark brown to teal blue.
SHSL Investigative Journalist
Any commentator knows that the shocking downfall of the Councillor Takuma Kawada marked a major downturn in the state of Japanese politics. But perhaps one of the greatest shockers of the story is that his exposé was researched and written by a 16-year-old high school student. Nanami Shibanen, the daughter of two famous lawyers, exhibits the same predatory vindictiveness that made the Shibanen-Hebitsue law firm so notorious. No one can be sure just how Shibanen is able to smell the blood in the water, but she holds the reputation of being able to latch onto even the slightest sign of corruption and from there unearth a gold mine of incriminating evidence.
- Academic Alpha Bitch: Shibanen demands that everyone treat her with respect, as the intelligent and superior person that she believes herself to be. That's not to say she isn't smart, but she certainly takes a lot of pride in being that way.
- Brainy Brunette: She has dark hair, and she's smart.
- The Cynic: Her earliest conversation with Nescio reveals that Shibanen believes all people are flawed, or full of "sin".
- Emotionless Girl: She isn't quite emotionless, but she can definitely come across that way, especially at first meeting. Shibanen keeps her emotional responses quite low.
- Hair Decorations: Shibanen wears a pink headband with bows on the sides.
- Pink Means Feminine: Her all-pink outfit certainly embodies this trope. Shibanen is a bit of a Girly Girl in how she presents herself, to be sure.
- Sherlock Scan: She performs one of these on Nescio when the latter asks her to guess what their Talent and specialization are.
- The Spock: From the very beginning, Shibanen proves herself to be someone who is truly investigative, observant, and logical. She didn't receive her title for nothing....
A creepy child with an even creepier profession. Not something you usually see a pastel child to be doing. But Axel does their job with utmost proficiency. Every piece of meat is memorized and every slice is meat is sliced to perfection. No customer has been left unsatisfied.
SHSL Death Metal Musician
Though some might call them edgy, theres no question that Baphomet Crowley is among the most popular musicians of the day, rising to the top of the charts at alarming speeds. Theyre the singer, songwriter, lead guitarist, and probably many other roles for the band Eurynomos, and the youth seem to find that Baphomets message resonates with them. Baphomet themself doesnt seem to care much, practically reclusive, only ever making public appearances for concerts and press releases, but the fans who have spoken with them in person describe them as surprisingly kind. Still, their music is controversial, as it was bound to be, and many establishments have banned them alright. Its rather common knowledge that Baphomet is actually Hikaru Yagami, an ordinary teenager from a small town who got famous for their music. The story is inspiring and all, but their town of origin is very seemingly unhappy with the attention that Baphomets fame is bringing them. Baphomet probably doesnt care. In time Eurynomos will both outpace and outlive you. Hail Satan!
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Their hair is black with blue streaks.
Nescio Praenomen Nomen Cognomen
Without explanation, a sudden plethora of never before seen artifacts dated to the Roman Republic and Empire appeared on the Japanese market and, with them, a mysterious self-proclaimed historian by the name of Nescio Praenomen Nomen Cognomen. Credited with the precise translation and documentation of each artifact, Nescio has become a curious and sought after figure to the intellectual communities related to their work. Despite that, however, little is known of them. The most communication anyone has ever had with them seems to be through anonymous auctions to sell their cache of newly discovered artifacts to the highest bidder.
- Dark and Troubled Past: No one really knows what happened to Nescio to make them... how they are, and Nescio herself isn't volunteering much information. But with all those scars, it can't be anything good.
- Deadpan Snarker: She's always making snarky asides about events and other characters.
CHAPTER 1 MURDER VICTIM
What can he say, Sly was born from a performing family. His family ran their own traveling circus that became his traveling childhood. Here in one day, across the sea in the next. The show never was too popular, but managed to earn barely enough to live off of. Growing up, the boy was taxed with finding how he could contribute to the troop. Before this he could be found wandering the crowd during shows, pick pocketing and scamming on his fathers orders, earning him the name Sly. Even if he had no performing skills, he would have ended up as a ticket boy or a merchandiser. Lucky for him, the boy found a liking for flexing his body to its limits. At first he wasnt flexible enough to do the more daring poses, but with practice both he and his family came to greatly appreciate the talent. Yet as the years went on and performances continued, Sly grew tired of it all as it became a non-stop cycle, background noise to whatever was to come next. Seeking a change, he got word of the Hopes Peak program, a way to both better his skill and hopefully get the love he once felt doing his work.
CHAPTER 2 EVENT VICTIM
Rika Sasatou, as expected from someone in such a serious line of work, is a highly intense high schooler with an equally intense reverence for their own talent, as well as the talent of others. Theyre well known for their skills in, well anesthesiology, of course! Their talent is most evident in their renowned ability to put patients under, always using just the perfect amount of anesthetics needed for a procedure, using a blend of perioperatives that they claim is secret and unique to themself. Besides being fiercely acute in their understanding of their own talent, this need to prove their abilities extends to others; if you cant prove what you do right then and there, you might as well be useless.
- Cool Mask: Rika wears a medical mask on a day-to-day basis; though, they don't seem to have any qualms with taking it off to eat or drink in front of other people.