- My name is Alice Cadwell. I'm eighteen years old - and yesterday, I threw myself off the roof of thirty story building.
Alice Cadwell has had enough. She has no future, no talent, and no way to change either. Unable to take life, she ends it all by hurling herself off a building...
...and wakes up flanked by two very strange people.
A trilogy by Latia. Basically, a Young Adult Story that answers the age-old question, what happens when we die? And when we say 'answer', we mean 'dilly-dally about the concept of life and occasionally make jokes'.
7 chapters of the 27-chapter first book are complete. You can read the first one here.
Most certainly not to be confused with the video game Harvester.
Tropes found in this work:
- Anyone Can Die: Considering what the story is about...
- Big Apple Sauce
- Black Comedy
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead
- Celestial Bureaucracy
- Dead to Begin With: Look at the page quote.
- Driven to Suicide: Pretty much the entire main cast.
- Dysfunction Junction
- Family-Unfriendly Death: A few.
- First-Person Smartass
- Our Grim Reapers are Different:
- Cloaks with hoods : In the final hour of their life, people can see Collectors, so they use their hoods to keep them invisble. Alice points out how ridiculous that is.
- Don't Fear the Reaper: Really, most of them are pretty cool guys.
they collect souls and doesn't afraid of anything.Sadly, all "Stics" are incredibly unnerved by them.
- Facial Markings: Denotates Class and Rank
- Holy Halo: It's a sign of them being chained to the job. Also, they're not visible all the time.
- Insistent Terminology: The blanket term is "Collectors". There's three classes: Reaper, Harvester, and Salvager.
- Sinister Scythe : They DO have them, but not for Collecting...
- Uncanny Valley: How they appear to the dead. It doesn't seem to be a physical thing, as far as Alice can tell, but it explains why "normal" dead people have a natural inclination to stay clear of Collectors.
- Heroic BSoD: Ohhhhhhh lord.
- Alice: A big chunk of Harvester has her in this after her suicide, and she falls back into this in Salvager, due to certain things.
- Adam: A big chunk of the entire series has him in this, after Alice's death.
- Hope:(This is a big one, you might not want it spoiled) After finding out Jonathan had been going behind her back not only with Shin but with Alice in order to "move on"
- Salvador: After finding out about Vivian's various health problems and how he accidentally injured her before knowing about it. Luckily, it's fairly brief.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: Sal and Vivian.
- Incredibly Lame Pun: A lot.
- Meet Cute: A weird example is performed when Hope startles Alice, who accidentally startles Salvador, who accidentally stumbles and falls into Vivian's lap. Cue Luminescent Blush from all parties.
- Mind Screw: Alice's dreams...
- This will take place in Salvager. Just...trust me.
- Mood Whiplash : The story will often jump from heartwrenching to sidesplitting in the same paragraph.
- Rape as Drama Oh, Emily...
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Girl: Adam and Tabitha in Reaper, who band together to solve the mystery of a death Alice knew. Oh, and they hook up too. It goes wrong.
- Starts with a Suicide: That of the main character.
- Tear Jerker: Maybe a bit.
- Tonight, Someone Dies
- The Woobie: In a series where most of the cast has been Driven to Suicide? Maybe.