Welcome to the totally bizarre and warped (possibly) post-apocalyptic world of Army of the Night.
Army of the Night is basically what you would get if you locked a bunch of RPG geeks in a room with a possessed typewriter and an infinite supply of ink and paper after giving them enough caffeine to kill a normal human... one hundred times, then played them a playlist comprised only of Powerwolf and Amon Amarth songs for an entire week. Assuming they didn't kill each other. Or maybe if they did kill each other.
I actually intend to eventually publish it.
Tropes featured include
- Action Girl: Both Ella and Mangal.
- After the End: Implied. Or it could be some weird parallel universe. Or both.
- Anachronism Stew: Yes.
- Awesome Mc Coolname: Almost everybody. The main character's name is Ulthar Blitzkrieg.
- Ax-Crazy: Everybody. Special mention goes to Ripper, who is considered this even in-universe.
- The Berserker: All of the main characters.
- Blood Knight: Everybody. Especially Ripper.
- Blue and Orange Morality: Every single character seems to operate on some sort of bizarre and incomprehensible system of morality.
- Butch Lesbian: Mangal.
- Chainmail Bikini: Averted. Everybody wears realistic chain mail armor, including helmets.
- Crazy Awesome: Every single character. Probably the entire story to boot.
- Everyone Calls Him "Barkeep": Ripper. Nobody knows his real name, in fact not even he knows it.Ella: Oh, by the way, what's your real name? I've always wanted to know.
- Evil Counterpart: At one point, the protagonists meet their evil counterparts, though they are never shown doing anything evil, and may not have been any more or less "evil" than the protagonists according to our morality system.
- Fantasy Gun Control: Subverted when Mangal warns a random traveler they encountered to never give Ripper a gun.
- His Name Really Is "Barkeep": Mangal.
- Mind Screw: Lots of them.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: All of the main characters except for Ella and Sven.
- Noodle Incident: Implied.Mangal: Never give Ripper guns.
- Our Werewolves Are Different: The main characters are werewolves, and they transform under the full moon, but are not made much harder to kill, don't show any particular aversion to silver, and are still in control of themselves (well, as much as any character in this world can be said to be in control of themselves).
- Punny Name: Mangal. Her name is a combination of the words "man" and "gal", as well as the word "mangle".
- Random Events Plot: The entire damn story.
- Reverse Cerebus Syndrome: Army of the Night was originally intended to have a lot less hidden character depths, but it was also originally intended to have a lot less gags due to the fact that its contents' insanity was supposed to speak for itself.
- Shout-Out: Many, mostly to Powerwolf and Amon Amarth.
- Those Two Guys: Sven and Targrim.
- Trigger Happy: Implied. See "Noodle Incident" above.
- Villain Protagonist: Sort of.