Xavier Dolan-Tadros (born March 20, 1989 in Montreal, Quebec) is a French Canadian filmmaker and actor.
Dolan is known for his unique, somewhat transgressive approach to filmmaking, with themes including sexuality (often pertaining to LGBT characters) and parenthood (often within dysfunctional family contexts). On the production side, his traits include semi-recurring actors (Anne Dorval being the most consistent, acting in five of his films) and him taking a bulk of the initiative behind the camera, producing and writing his films if not also editing and acting in them, as well as doing other tasks like fashion design.
Initially starting off as a child actor in his native Montréal, Dolan soon transitioned into dubbing work. Although he has contributed to dozens of films from 2000 to 2019, many of them attached to big-name franchises, French Canadian tropers might recognize him as the voice of Ron Weasley, Jacob or Paul Atreides.
Dolan first received international acclaim with his debut film, I Killed My Mother (2009), conceived by him between the ages of 16 and 20 and heavily based on his own life. He has since directed seven feature films, almost all of them premiering at Cannes (Tom at the Farm instead debuted at the Venice International Film Festival) and racking up an impressive catalog of awards, among them 3 César Awards and 8 Cannes awards, including a Jury Prize for Mommy and a Grand Prix for It's Only the End of the World. While he hasn't always been on the good side of critics (End of the World was divisive, and The Death & Life of John F. Donovan outright panned), his work has been generally well-received.
Apart from his art, Dolan is also known for being very opinionated and making few apologies for it, and for his persistent status as an "enfant terrible" of Quebecois cinema, or cinema in general. (He's not too keen on the moniker.)
He is the son of Egyptian-born Canadian actor and singer-songwriter Manuel Tadros, who's known as the model and voice of Rodrigo Borgia in Assassin's Creed II.
Has nothing to do with Dolan.
- I Killed My Mother (2009)
- Heartbeats (2010)
- Laurence Anyways (2012)
- Tom at the Farm (2013)
- Mommy (2014)
- It's Only the End of the World (2016)
- The Death and Life of John F. Donovan (2018)
- Matthias & Maxime (2019)
Notable VA Credits:
- Harry Potter as Ron Weasley
- Fantastic Beasts as Newt Scamander
- Secondhand Lions as Walter Caldwell
- Finding Nemo as Tad
- Twilight as Jacob Black
- Dune (2021) as Paul Atreides note
- South Park as Stan Marsh note
- The Hunger Games as Peeta Mellark
- Life of Pi as Pi
- Inside Out as Fear
- Spider-Man: Far From Home as Brad Davis
- It: Chapter Two as Adrian Mellon note
- All Love Is Unrequited: His first three films especially cover this trope.
- Auteur License: From I Killed My Mother onwards, hes produced and edited all his films.
- Production Posse: Anne Dorval in particular (four films) but also Suzanne Clément (three films), Monia Chomkry, Nathalie Baye, and Niels Schneider (two films each) are regular.
- Signature Style: Lengthy films centered on homosexuality, motherhood and unique cinematography.
- Straight Gay: Dolan is openly gay and homosexuality is a major theme in all his movies, sometimes with autobiographical inspirations.