Walter Davis Pidgeon (September 23, 1897 — September 25, 1984) was a Canadian-American actor that appeared in a variety of films, from comedies to dramas to science fiction. His films ranged from science fiction, like Forbidden Planet, to movie musicals, like Funny Girl and a televised musical based on Cinderella in 1965.
Pidgeon is also known for his numerous appearances alongside British actress Greer Garson, appearing in eight films together, usually as a Happily Married couple or two youngsters courting. One of these films included the wartime drama Mrs. Miniver, which was often joked as one of the biggest reasons that many signed up to help the war effort.
Filmography on TVTropes:
- Advise & Consent
- The Bad and the Beautiful
- Blossoms in the Dust
- Executive Suite
- Forbidden Planet
- The Forsyte Saga
- How Green Was My Valley
- Julia Misbehaves
- Madame Curie
- Mrs. Miniver
- The Shopworn Angel
- Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea
Tropes applied to his characters:
- Badass Baritone
- Distinguished Gentleman's Pipe: If his characters were smoking, they were most likely smoking with a pipe.
- Gentleman Snarker
- Heroes Want Redheads: Considering the films that he appeared with Greer Garson as his love interest or wife.
- Standard '50s Father: His father roles were commonly this.