Walter Davis Pidgeon (September 23, 1897 September 25, 1984) was a Canadian-American actor who appeared in a variety of films, from comedies to dramas to science fiction. His films ranged from science fiction, like Forbidden Planet, to movie musicals, like Funny Girl and a televised musical based on Cinderella in 1965.
Pidgeon is also known for his numerous appearances alongside British actress Greer Garson, appearing in eight films together, usually as a Happily Married couple or two youngsters courting. One of these films included the wartime drama Mrs. Miniver, which was often joked as one of the biggest reasons that many signed up to help the war effort.
Filmography on TV Tropes:
- Saratoga (1937)
- The Shopworn Angel (1938)
- Blossoms in the Dust (1941)
- How Green Was My Valley (1941)
- Mrs. Miniver (1942)
- Madame Curie (1943)
- Julia Misbehaves (1948)
- The Bad and the Beautiful (1952)
- Executive Suite (1954)
- Forbidden Planet (1956)
- Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea (1961)
- Advise & Consent (1962)
- Cinderella (1965)
- Funny Girl (1968)
- Two-Minute Warning (1976)
- Sextette (1978)
Tropes applied to his characters:
- Badass Baritone
- Distinguished Gentleman's Pipe: If his characters were smoking, they were most likely smoking with a pipe.
- Gentleman Snarker
- Heroes Want Redheads: Considering the films that he appeared with Greer Garson as his love interest or wife.
- Standard '50s Father: His father roles were commonly this.