Vivienne Maree Medrano (born October 28, 1992 in Maryland), better known online as VivziePop, is a Salvadoran-American animator and cartoonist who is known for being the creator of the webcomic Zoophobia, as well as the Horror Comedy musical shows Hazbin Hotel and Helluva Boss. Vivienne studied at the School of Visual Arts in New York City and graduated in 2014, and is the founder of SpindleHorse Toons.
She's also a huge fan of musical theatre. And Kesha.
Works by VivziepopWeb Animation
Tropes Vivzie Has Used In Her Works
- '80s Hair: A lot of Vivienne's characters have hair bigger than their own bodies!
- Abusive Parent: Horrible, abusive, and/or neglectful fathers seem to appear a lot in her works. These include Moxxie's dad Crimson, Blitzo's dad, Stolas' dad in Helluva Boss and Charlie's dad in Hazbin Hotel.
- Aerith and Bob: Due to their fantasy settings, her characters run the spectrum between traditional naming to less commonly known/used to completely made-up.
- Zoophobia has the names Cameron, Jacinta (Jackie), and Skoni in the same universe.
- Hazbin Hotel has characters named Charlie, Tom Trench, and Sir Pentious together. Justified as the names used in Hell aren't necessarily the birth-names of the characters using them.
- Helluva Boss has Millie, Moxxie, and Blitzo (the 'o' is silent) working together.
- Amazing Technicolor Population: Is prone to doing this in her works, especially with shades of yellows, pinks, and greys.
- Author Appeal:
- Vivienne is a huge fan of Musical Theater, and big Broadway productions in particular, so her works is pretty much guaranteed to feature, if not an great, big, choreographed musical number, then at least one song per episode.
- Vivienne, as a bisexual woman, includes a lot of LGBT characters in her work.
- Black-and-Grey Morality: Considering her most famous works take place in literal hell, this may not come as a surprise.
- Cast of Snowflakes: All of her original characters have extremely different designs.
- Creator Thumbprint: Flip a coin. If it is heads, it will consist of Funny Animals. If it is tails, it is set in Hell. Sometimes, both of these are prominent in the same work.
- Funny Animals: A lot of her characters are animal-based with human characteristics, most notably in Zoophobia.
- He Also Did: Before Hazbin Hotel, her most well-known work was a 2D animated film "Die Young" featuring her Zoophobia cast.
- Hell: Has 3 works set in hell. Satan, Lucifer, and other Public Domain Characters appear in each of these works, as well as their offspring.
- Noodle People: Part of her style is to have really spindly Tim Burton-esque proportioned characters. Few of her characters avert this, but the ones that do still have small waists and limbs that lead into Impossible Hourglass Figure.
- Pen Name: Vivziepop
- Our Demons Are Different: Has had 3 projects set in Hell, and few of the demons have the traditional Baphomet influence in their designs.
- Rousseau Was Right: Both Hazbin Hotel and Helluva Boss focus on finding the humanity and sympathy out of the worst and most sociopathic of people in all of hell.
- Sliding Scale of Idealism vs. Cynicism: Both of her shows Hazbin Hotel and Helluva Boss have similar settings but each series does lean in a different direction.
- Hazbin Hotel leans closer to the idealistic side. Despite the fact that Hell is a corrupt, crime-fueled, sociopathic world where characters show no willingness to change for the better, it still focuses on a character, Charlie Morningstar, who believes there is always room for characters to redeem themselves. She actually proves to be right as some sympathetic depth does come out of these characters.
- Helluva Boss on the other hand leans a little closer to the cynical end. Instead of being about a character who believes the best of the worst people, this series focuses on bunch of imps who kill others for a living. It doesn't go too far down the cynical end though as, much like Hazbin Hotel, it does still explore sympathetic depth to some of the characters, particularly Stolas and Blitzo.