Irving Rameses "Ving" Rhames was born May 12, 1959 in New York City. He discovered a love of acting in High School, and got his start in the Broadway play The Winter Boys, and from there worked in a number of Soap Operas and supporting roles until his big break as crime boss Marcellus Wallace in Pulp Fiction.
He has since worked in the Mission: Impossible movies (to this day, he is the only actor to have appeared in every film of the franchise besides Tom Cruise), Con Air, Dawn of the Dead (2004), and even Lilo & Stitch, among many other roles. Unfortunately, much of his more recent output has consisted of Direct to Video movies and being a major spokesman for Arby's (he's the "We Have the Meats" (trademark) voice in their new major marketing campaign).
- Casualties of War (1989) — Lt. Reilly
- Jacob's Ladder (1990) — George
- The People Under the Stairs (1991) — Leroy
- Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot (1992) — Mr. Stereo
- Pulp Fiction (1994) — Marcellus Wallace
- Mission: Impossible Film Series — Luther Stickell
- Striptease (1996) — Shad
- Con Air (1997) — Diamond Dog
- Out of Sight (1998) — Buddy Bragg
- Entrapment (1999) — Aaron Thibadeaux
- Bringing Out the Dead (1999) — Marcus
- Undisputed (2001) — George 'Iceman' Chambers
- Lilo & Stitch franchise — Cobra Bubbles (voice)
- RFK (2002) — Judge Jones
- Dark Blue (2002) — Deputy Chief Arthur Holland
- Dawn of the Dead (2004) — Officer Kenneth
- Day of the Dead (2008) — Captain Rhodes
- The Tournament (2009) — Joshua Harlow
- Surrogates (2009) — The Prophet
- Give 'Em Hell, Malone (2009) — Boulder
- Piranha 3D (2010) — Deputy Fallon
- Death Race 2 (2010) — Weyland
- Julia X (2011) — The Man
- Zombie Apocalypse — Henry
- Piranha 3DD (2012) — Deputy Fallon
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017) — Charlie-27
Tropes relating to Ving Rhames include:
- Bald of Awesome: Usually crossing with Bald Black Leader Guy.
- Guttural Growler: "Step aside, Butch," is absolutely hair-raising the way he says it.
- Scary Black Man: In the movies, at least.