Toonz Animation, opened in December 1993, was an animation studio located in New Zealand. It contained many of the same staff members (such as Stan Fong) as Freelance Animators New Zealand, plus some new ones. The animation director was often Walt Disney Australia's Lily Dell. When the company closed, many of the same staff ended up at Slightly Off Beat Productions (aka S.O.B. Productions), which worked on Dave the Barbarian, Downtown, and Hercules, among other shows.
They were often listed with Gnome Productions, also based out of New Zealand.
Works animated by Toonz Animation:
- Quack Pack (4 episodes)List
- Redux Riding Hood TV special
- The Shnookums & Meat Funny Cartoon Show (all the Tex Tinstar segments and some of the Shnookums and Meat segments)
- Tales from the Crypt (one episode: "The Third Pig")
- Timon & Pumbaa (5 shorts)List
- Various animated adaptions of books by Margaret Mahy.
Tropes associated with Toonz Animation:
- Deranged Animation: Especially in "The Third Pig" and the "Tex Tinstar" segments of Shnookums and Meat, but also present in Timon and Pumbaa at times.
- Off-Model: Done deliberately in the Tex Tinstar segments, which only made the animation funnier.