Timothy Simon Roth (born May 14, 1961) is an English film actor and director best known for his roles in the American films Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Four Rooms, Planet of the Apes (2001), The Incredible Hulk (with Edward Norton) and Rob Roy, for which he received an Academy Award Nomination for Best Supporting Actor. He starred in the TV series Lie to Me as Cal Lightman.
Roth's debut role was in a 1982 movie Made in Britain, where he played a violent skinhead. Interestingly enough, he originally entered the theatre where they were holding the auditions to ask if he could borrow a bike pump for his bicycle.
He impressed director Quentin Tarantino and was cast as Mr. Orange in Tarantino's 1992 ensemble piece Reservoir Dogs. This film paved the way for more work in Hollywood. In 1994, Tarantino cast him again as the robber Pumpkin in the acclaimed Pulp Fiction. They worked again in the 1995 movie Four Rooms, where Roth played the extremely physically animated role of "Ted the Bellhop". Roth was very successful playing viciously evil English nobleman Archibald Cunningham in Rob Roy opposite Liam Neeson. For that role he earned an Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actor, a Golden Globe nomination, and won a British Academy Award. He also played Marlow opposite John Malkovich as Kurtz in a TV Movie adaptation of Heart of Darkness. He's also played the role of a genius piano player in The Legend of 1900.
Roth is part of the Brit Pack, a group coined by the media for young British actors who achieved success in Hollywood in the late 1980s. Gary Oldman, Colin Firth and Daniel Day-Lewis are among the actors in the group.
- Made in Britain as Trevor, a violent and terrifying skinhead. His first on-screen role.
- Meantime as Colin.
- The Hit as Myron. Tim Roth's first film role.
- Vincent & Theo as Vincent van Gogh.
- Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead as Guildenstern.
- Reservoir Dogs as Mr. Orange.
- Pulp Fiction as the robber Pumpkin.
- Rob Roy as hammy nobleman Archibald Cunningham.
- Four Rooms as Ted the Bellhop.
- The Legend of 1900 as Danny Boodmann T.D. Lemon Nineteen Hundred '1900'.
- Planet of the Apes (2001) as General Thade.
- Invincible as Erik Jan Hanussen.
- The Incredible Hulk as Emil Blonsky / the Abomination.
- Arbitrage as Detective Michael Bryer.
- Broken as Archie.
- Selma as Governor George Wallace.
- United Passions as Sepp Blatter, albeit for all the wrong reasons. He has since admitted he did the movie solely for financial reasons and regretted it while he was making it.
- The Hateful 8 as Oswaldo Mobray.
- Hardcore Henry as Henry's father.