Melanie Thandiwe (formerly credited as "Thandie") Newton OBE (born 6 November 1972 in Westminster, London) is a British actor of English and Zimbabwean descent.
Tropes related to her work:
- Doing It for the Art: "What's lovely is that I'll get sent a small movie, and by virtue of me being involved they get their money, and that's fantastic."
- Fake American: She plays more Americans than her actual nationality, and many are surprised to find out she's actually British. But she gets to keep her accent on Westworld in a prominent role, so that might change.
- Stage Name / Meaningful Rename: "Thandie" is the stage name, due to a typo in the credits of her first film. As of 2021, she has reclaimed the original spelling of her name, Thandiwe.
- Star-Making Role: Mission: Impossible II got the ball rolling, but winning a BAFTA Award for Crash got her a lot of attention.
- What Could Have Been: She was nearly cast in Charlie's Angels (2000) but had to turn it down when Mission: Impossible II ran over schedule, and Lucy Liu ended up with the part.