Melanie Thandiwe (formerly credited as "Thandie") Newton OBE (born 6 November 1972 in Westminster, London) is a British actor of English and Zimbabwean descent.
Newton married English director Ol Parker in 1998. They have three children together, daughters Ripley and Nico along with a son, Booker Jombe, all of them delivered in home births. Since then Nico began acting herself in 2019 with the live action film of Dumbo. They appeared together later in the 2021 film Reminiscence (the pair also have a very strong family resemblance, with many fans and news media calling Nico her "Mini-Me").
Tropes related to her work:
- Doing It for the Art: "What's lovely is that I'll get sent a small movie, and by virtue of me being involved they get their money, and that's fantastic."
- Fake American: She plays more Americans than her actual nationality, and many are surprised to find out she's actually British. But she gets to keep her accent on Westworld in a prominent role, so that might change.
- Ms. Fanservice: She's had many, many roles with her nude and/or in sex scenes, including full frontal, while also being quite attractive.
- Stage Name / Meaningful Rename: "Thandie" is the stage name, due to a typo in the credits of her first film. As of 2021, she has reclaimed the original spelling of her name, Thandiwe.
- Star-Making Role: Mission: Impossible II got the ball rolling, but winning a BAFTA Award for Crash got her a lot of attention.
- What Could Have Been: She was nearly cast in Charlie's Angels (2000) but had to turn it down when Mission: Impossible II ran over schedule, and Lucy Liu ended up with the part.