Stamp was born in Stepney, London, England, and spent his early years in the East End. When his family moved to Plaistow, West Ham, he attended Plaistow County Grammar School. He grew up idolizing Gary Cooper, and was inspired by James Dean.
He received an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actor for his first film role in Billy Budd (1962).
- The Adjustment Bureau (2011) — Thompson
- The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (1994) — Bernadette Bassinger/Ralph
- Bowfinger (1998) — Terry
- The Collector
- The Company of Wolves
- Crooked House (2017) — Chief Inspector Taverner
- Get Smart (2008) — Siegfried
- The Haunted Mansion (2003) — Ramsley
- Jules Verne's Mystery on Monster Island
- The Limey (1999) — Wilson
- Modesty Blaise
- My Boss's Daughter (2003) — Jack Taylor
- The Phantom Menace (1999) — Chancellor Finis Valorum
- Spirits of the Dead (1968) — Toby Dammit
- Superman: The Movie (1978) and Superman II (1980) — General Zod
- Teorema (1968) — "The Visitor"
- Wall Street
- Yes-Man (2008) — Terrence Bundley
- Young Guns
Voice Acting Roles:
- The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion — Mankar Camoran
- Smallville — Jor-El
- Halo 3 —The Prophet of Truth
- Badass Baritone: His deep, cultured voice lends itself well to tough characters and, of course, villains.
- Tall, Dark, and Handsome: He stands a solid six feet tall, was dark-haired in his younger days, and retains a fair bit of his aristocratic good looks, all of which have served him well in his various roles.